Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 13,941 times

Advertisements

I am currently doing my MSc in Computer Science and am thinking on doing a PhD as there is no work in my country at the moment. While I have studied Computer Science, and have done well at it – I have never officially studied Physics, but have had a lifelong interest in it from reading books / internet articles etc, and ghosting some of the Physics classes in my university to pick up some stuff.

If I am going to be doing a PhD I will need a thesis, or area of study to justify funding for taking on a doctorate, so I am wondering would anybody be aware of the conditions for doing Computational Physics. Would I have to hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Physics to apply Physics matters to software programs, or would my interest in this area allow me to transfer this knowledge into producing Computational Physics software.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
Why would you get a PhD if there aren't any jobs?

Interesting article:
Doctoral degrees: The disposable academic | The Economist

In many fields, there isn't a premium in salary/earning with getting a PhD versus a Masters alone. In some fields, a Masters is worth more.

Be careful what you wish for!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 PM

5 posts, read 13,941 times
Hi, and thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Why would you get a PhD if there aren't any jobs?
Well that's actually my incentive for doing one - there's no work in industry at the moment, so I may as well try out a PhD before the economy picks up again.

Quote:
Interesting article:
Doctoral degrees: The disposable academic | The Economist

In many fields, there isn't a premium in salary/earning with getting a PhD versus a Masters alone. In some fields, a Masters is worth more.

Be careful what you wish for!
Interesting article indeed. I'll admit that the article is quiet peculiar, but this is not actually the situation in my country because graduates with Bachelor's degrees (Honours) earn on average €21,000-€25,000 (roughly $28,000-$34,000), whereas people with Doctorates/ PhD's earn on average €45,000 + on graduation (roughly $61,000+). That and unlike in the US, our doctorates in science only take 4 years.

Source: http://www.independent.ie/education/...r-1905884.html

Also most of my education, like the rest of the students in the country has been cheap because there university education is cheap as the government/ state helps out.............so I wouldn't be in any financial debt/ or in need of payments for loans etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology