U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,538,685 times

Advertisements

On Feb. 15, 1965, a diffident but self-possessed high school student named Raymond Kurzweil appeared as a guest on a game show called I've Got a Secret. He was introduced by the host, Steve Allen, then he played a short musical composition on a piano. The idea was that Kurzweil was hiding an unusual fact and the panelists - they included a comedian and a former Miss America - had to guess what it was.
On the show (see the clip on YouTube), the beauty queen did a good job of grilling Kurzweil, but the comedian got the win: the music was composed by a computer. Kurzweil got $200. (See TIME's photo-essay "Cyberdyne's Real Robot.")
Kurzweil then demonstrated the computer, which he built himself - a desk-size affair with loudly clacking relays, hooked up to a typewriter. The panelists were pretty blasÉ about it; they were more impressed by Kurzweil's age than by anything he'd actually done. They were ready to move on to Mrs. Chester Loney of Rough and Ready, Calif., whose secret was that she'd been President Lyndon Johnson's first-grade teacher.

Singularity: Kurzweil on 2045, When Humans, Machines Merge - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110210/hl_time/08599204813800 - broken link)

I hope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,173,833 times
Yeap i've been following Ray Kurzweil for a few years now as i'm also into futuristic anti agang and longevity sciences although i do think he is a bit optimistic in his predictions in that we will crack the 120 age barrier within about 30 years or so'ish. Non the less i find alot of what he says intriguing. I did read his book a few years ago titled ''Fantastic Voyage, Live Long Enough To Live Forever'' as it was a real tease as to what the next 30 years or so may bring us in medicines and technology etc.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:02 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,985,636 times
I use Ray's meal replacement shakes to help me keep my weight in check. I used to be 30 lb overweight and I got into a healthy weight from just replacing dinner with those shakes. Then I started using it as a supplement for my weight training routine. Ray uses it to keep his Type 2 diabetes in check (he doesn't need insulin as a result).

To call Ray a visionary is a disservice. He's invented stuff and even wrote advanced computer programs that Wall Street firms use to make money.

I think though that humans will be loathe to merge with machines completely. I won't, the first chance I get to amplify my brain with a computer so that I have the human capability for abstraction and the computing power of a proessor, I'm there! It will leapfrog me in terms of productivity and I will be 1000x faster at doing mental calculations and simulations than my coworkers. I will be able to efficiently multitask. Furthermore, I could theoretically "back up" my brain patterns in case I get into an accident or something.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:03 AM

2,879 posts, read 6,254,490 times
I read The Singularity is Near by Kurzweil a couple years ago. It makes a pretty compelling case logically but it's difficult to believe his predictions will come true in such a short time frame. Either way, I agree that 2045+ will be so different from today that it will be impossible to speculate about.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:17 PM

5,277 posts, read 8,279,994 times
"When Humans, Machines Merge" is certainly a very dramatic use of words, but what exactly does that mean? That computers will be so advanced by 2045 that they will possess their own identities as a mechanical lifeform? That they will self-replicate to the point of rendering human beings as inefficient lifeforms that have no further need to exist at all, or be tolerated as any other lifeform on the planet, or perhaps not tolerated at all? That humans will become assimilated as cyborgs? A lot of unanswered questions like that have been raised.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:52 PM

127 posts, read 179,706 times
The most optimistic scenario, as far as I can tell, is where human intelligence is benignly enhanced by technology, whether or not this consists of 'merging' with a machine.

I have a thread on City-Data on this subject:
//www.city-data.com/forum/great...e-culture.html

Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
"When Humans, Machines Merge" is certainly a very dramatic use of words, but what exactly does that mean? That computers will be so advanced by 2045 that they will possess their own identities as a mechanical lifeform? That they will self-replicate to the point of rendering human beings as inefficient lifeforms that have no further need to exist at all, or be tolerated as any other lifeform on the planet, or perhaps not tolerated at all? That humans will become assimilated as cyborgs? A lot of unanswered questions like that have been raised.
In other words robots potentially becoming e.g. The Terminator or ABC Robot (Judge Dredd film) as a couple of examples? .

Old 07-19-2012, 01:13 PM

5,277 posts, read 8,279,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
In other words robots potentially becoming e.g. The Terminator or ABC Robot (Judge Dredd film) as a couple of examples? .
Perhaps it could decide to leave the planet altogether, taking technological information along. Or perhaps decide the best thing to do is just delete all computerized information, including its own, permanently shutting down all systems around the world.

Or people themselves could take things into a completely different and unexpected direction.

Be Amazing! - YouTube

Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Perhaps it could decide to leave the planet altogether, taking technological information along. Or perhaps decide the best thing to do is just delete all computerized information, including its own, permanently shutting down all systems around the world.

Or people themselves could take things into a completely different and unexpected direction.

Be Amazing! - YouTube

Lol ... excellent point NB as i hadn't pondered about how Nanobots could do the same thing albeit only worse .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology