Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 AM

93 posts, read 269,803 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been made redundant from a non-manual job, or are worried that they might be, due to technological changes?

If so, I would be interested to know because I am writing a feature for a newspaper on white-collar automation and I am trying to find some case studies.

(cross-posted in the work forum)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
No, I am actually hoping for a robot that can do the tedious and repetitive parts of my job. A huge portion of my time is wasted in writing code or developing algorithms to do repetitive operations after I've figured out the advanced mathematics to model a system.

What I would really love is an android (or a neural implant) which can be taught to do simple tasks, and handle some changes in input. For instance, Excel can be programmed to repeat an operation on a spreadsheet using the "record" function. However, if you try to get it to do the same operation on a spreadsheet which is formatted slightly differently, it will choke. So you have to spend 2-3 hours writing a VBA code to allow multiple types of spreadsheets to be input, or re-formatting all the spreadsheets into something the recorded macro can handle. This is insanely tedious and a total waste of my time. You only need the logical processing power of an 8-year-old to do 90% of my job, but NOTHING gets done without the advanced-degree training required to do the other 10%.

A robot with an AI as smart as an 8-year-old human could, therefore, make me 10X more productive.

I suppose I ought to worry about a robot with an AI as smart as me, but I just don't see that happening any time soon when even the smartest multi-million-dollar logical machine on the planet thinks that grasshoppers eat Kosher food or that LAX is the largest airport in Canada.

Edit:

As you can see I've thought far too long on this subject. What I really need is a AI which knows when it's wrong and knows when it's right. Currently we code using incredibly stupid software which can only point out to you basic errors like no closing a for:loop or missing a bracket. That's akin to a spell-checker on a word processor; pretty useless when it comes to checking if the content makes sense. What we really need is software editing interfaces which are as smart as a grammar checker, and can recognize errors or changes in patterns, then correct them itself.

However, considering how awesomely dumb Microsoft's grammar checker can be, maybe even that's asking too much. The main problem is that our computers these days can't really learn. They can mimic and force-fit patterns (like when google tries to guess what you want based on your past behaviour) but they're often dead wrong, because they're not REALLY thinking, they're just blindly pattern-fitting. There's just not enough ability to network and cross-check inputs. Computers just don't have enough intuition yet, to do what I want, I suppose.

Well, when they do make my android, I hope they can give it a sense of humor, or at least some tolerance, so that it doesn't commit suicide or murder me when I curse it up one side and down the other for being too goddamn stupid to exist, since that's what I do nowadays when our current algorithms fail to guess right.

Last edited by sponger42; 04-18-2011 at 01:25 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 02:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I could see it replacing a large portion of my basic job function relatively soon, but it will be a long time before my entire job could be replaced. I'm an analyst in the transportation industry and as such I spend a lot of time running reports, identifying trends and performing comparative analysis. It is perfectly reasonable that a computer could do the heavy lifting of writing reports and even doing some of the basic comparisons. However, my brain, experience and knowledge are still needed to analyze that data, place it within our customers context and develop solutions.

Personally, I would love to be able to just think or tell the computer what I want to compare and how I want it sorted and have it spit out the information.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Alot of the paperwork and cost/benefit analysis I do can be replaced by computers at anytime.

A big part of my job requires wining and dining executives and taking them to gentlemen's clubs in order to get new business. I don't know when a computer will be able to pick up on human personalities in order to entertrain them appropriately. Hopefully not soon!

I think a lot of people fall in this boat. Where half their job is a repeatable process, while the other is conceptual.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
my issue is all the offshore design mills that can create crappy logos for under $50, or websites for under $200. Thankfully I still have freelance clients that under stand quality and service.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Replace jobs with robots and you will just have to hire people to fix the robots, maintain them and make them.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I stare at a coputer screen all day at work. Without me, who is gonna post silly comments all day at CD while on the clock?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:27 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
My job was taken over by a computer, so I learned how to use a computer. Then my job was taken over by youth. So I took a long vacation.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
My job was taken over by a computer, so I learned how to use a computer. Then my job was taken over by youth. So I took a long vacation.
That's the way to do it. When your job is taken over, just retire.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I fix computers and they are a ways off from being able to repair themselves. There are too many ID10T errors out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology