Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times

Advertisements

I stumbled on this and had to share:

Don't delete this because it looks weird... Believe it or not you can read it ... (quite fluently I might add)

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef!, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia

Amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Don't delete this because it looks weird... Believe it or not you can read it ... (quite fluently I might add)

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef!, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia

Raelly cool! I wnoedr if the smae geos for oehtr lgnagaues! Lkie Sdwesih!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Wehre can I fnid a lnik?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
For fun, I stuck that into Google Translate and this came out in Spanish.

Yo cdnuolt blveiee que cluod uesdnatnrd aulaclty lo que estaba rdanieg El pweor phaonmneal del hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig a rscheearch Taem en Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, que deosn't mttaer en lo oredr la ltteers en un wrod son, el tihng iprmoatnt olny es que el Frist y ltteer pasado estar en el pclae rghit. El RSET puede ser una MYPE taotl y puede sitll Raed es un wouthit porbelm. Esta es la bcuseae huamn deos mnid no Raed lteter Ervey por istlef!, pero el wrod como wlohe.

I then stuck that into google tranlate and translated it into English and this came out:

Cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy Taem, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that frist and ltteer happened to be in the rghit PCLA. The rset can be a taotl MSEs and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm one. This is bcuseae huamn mnid deos not raed Ervey lteter by istlef!, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Wehre can I fnid a lnik?
A friend sent me an email and being the curious website developer that I am, I couldn't help but follow his content back to the origin. I inadvertantly found the Cambridge research at the bottom of this page.

Amazing Facts and other Funny Ideas

Here is another nifty link I discovered that'll throw your brain into a left right tizzy:

http://www.humorsphere.com/fun/8787/colortest.swf

I was able to do 100% in two tries (three if you count my initial lack of caring)

Check it out and post how well you did on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Raelly cool! I wnoedr if the smae geos for oehtr lgnagaues! Lkie Sdwesih!
That's too funny! I wouldn't think this is language dependent, so I'd say Sdwesih wulod wrok as wlel as any otehr lngauge-- you know this could become some kind of viral Typoglycemia topic here on CD! That would be hillarious... oops, hlliairous!

Last edited by steven_h; 04-27-2011 at 11:52 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
So sometimes, when it looks like a poster is hijacking a thread, we're just reading it wrong?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:57 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
i stumbled on this and had to share:

don't delete this because it looks weird... Believe it or not you can read it ... (quite fluently i might add)

i cdnuolt blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg the phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch taem at cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef!, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed typoglycemia

amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorant
Funny! Really funny!!!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
So sometimes, when it looks like a poster is hijacking a thread, we're just reading it wrong?
Let's not get too carried away...

Old 04-29-2011, 01:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:

Yes, but... this is still a hoax. I saw this years ago at the k12 teacher usenet site.

BalancedReading.com -- Myths

Try this passage instead

Quote:
Tihs "Cdirmbgae Eefcft" is srot of ture, but it deos not tlel the wlohe sorty. It is rieealtvly esay to raed sroht wrods, but not so esay wehn ridaneg legonr wdros. Aals, msot cetonnt wdros in Esinglh are sveen leertts lnog or leognr -- the mroe leretts terhe are in a wrod, the mroe dulcifift and caipcetmold it bmeecos to cletrorcy infietdy them wehn the ltrtees are ragnearerd. Warhees, more diiivutnme and cmoomn wrdos lkie "blal" and "baer" raimen mltsoy ungnchead and esay to rizocenge, lgneor, less cmoomn wdros, like "pltlooiun" and "soulamitunes" caghne saillbattunsy to the pniot werhe rnciooitegn is srclceay pbsslioe. Fmrrhtrouee, this atiibly smtes form a garet deal of enpicerexe rindaeg cretolcry slelepd wdros -- olny plopee who can adrealy raed pelictroinfy can do this tsak. Tihs tirck does not reeavl mcuh aoubt the pscroes of lnnreaig to raed -- it only ietaindcs that hhligy slielkd rrdeaes are so pectacred wtih txet tehy can omoercve moinr informieepcts (epshaims on the word "moinr") in the pnirt to aesccs mnnaeig.
Note that there was no such study at Cambridge at all. See the website for information on the unpublished studies.

Since the link to Matt Davis's site on the above site does not work, I found it independently for your reading pleasure

MRC CBU, Cambridge » Matt Davis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology