Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

One can buy indoor programmable thermostat and accomplish the same thing.

Of course you'll save money, and sweat to death at the same time.

If one is responsible for their own actions THEY control their electrical usage.

I'd rather see the appliance makers put sensors into fridges that will tell me when the device draws more power, i.e. the coils are dirty.....

THAT will have one paying less....

Thanks for the article on the smart grid but I've read my quota on fantasies today.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Under the current system, I'm paying more for my neighbors' wasteful usage while the price is high and vice versa.
How do you determine it's being wasteful by the time of day? For example if I'm working at home using a lot of electricity during the day is that waste? I'm not using gas to commute, no one has to heat and provide electric for my office space....... If I cook dinner at home is that being wasteful instead of going out to eat?

As I said you may be penalizing more efficient people...

Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I'm saying that if given the opportunity to pay less, I will gladly use the tools that are provided that enable me to do so.
Who says it's going to be less? Maybe they just jack up the rates for peak times.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How do you determine it's being wasteful by the time of day? For example if I'm working at home using a lot of electricity during the day is that waste? I'm not using gas to commute, no one has to heat and provide electric for my office space....... If I cook dinner at home is that being wasteful instead of going out to eat?

As I said you may be penalizing more efficient people...
The wholesale price of electricity varies over the course of a day, sometimes wildly. Right now, there's no way for the consumer to know when electricity is at the most expensive wholesale price and no way for the utility to know which of its customers are using what percentage of that expensive juice and charge them accordingly. The smart meter technology can enable the utility to vary its rate in line with the wholesale rates it's paying and communicate that variable retail price to the customer. Armed with this info, the customer can choose to use less when the price is high and the utility will know it and adjust the bill to reflect the rate at the time of usage.

Just like we can choose to drive less and pay less often at the pump when gas is over $4 a gallon, this would enable us to make the choice to use less electricity during those hours when the price is 50% higher than average. You don't have to drive less when the price is $4 and you don't have to sweat when the price of electricity is high, but isn't it nice to have the freedom to choose to do so if you wanted to? I think some people fear that this technology will lead to them being made to use less electricity. I don't see what they think they're avoiding when this is already happening under the current system. I guess they prefer it when utilities make people use ZERO electricity temporarily during rolling blackouts!

Last edited by Bo; 05-18-2011 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
The wholesale price of electricity varies over the course of a day, sometimes wildly.
And just where do you come up with this?

Quote:
Right now, there's no way for the consumer to know when electricity is at the most expensive wholesale price and no way for the utility to know which of its customers are using what percentage of that expensive juice and charge them accordingly. The smart meter technology can enable the utility to vary its rate in line with the wholesale rates it's paying and communicate that variable retail price to the customer. Armed with this info, the customer can choose to use less when the price is high and the utility will know it and adjust the bill to reflect the rate at the time of usage.
It is ridiculous to think one will be able to get electricity rates minute by minute or hour by hour.

For people to be able to shop around they MUST be living in cities and areas that are deregulated, ("have choice").

None of these providers offer anything other than fixed rate plans. For Texas check out:

Texas Electricity Ratings | Compare Texas Electric Companies | Save on Texas Electricity Service

When I see words like "I hope" "may" "probably" "IMO" the poster is talking fantasy world. Yes sometime in the future something like what you fantasize about might become reality but not anytime within the next century.

I don't know how many hundreds of things I've read about where "this technology can enable......." but never makes it into the real world.

Smart meters at this point are another way electric companies can screw their customers, period.

And Smart grids.... gimme a break. The country is broke, we can't afford to fix our road/bridge infrastructure and we are going to spend 2 trillion dollars upgrading our electrical infrastructure?

We need to build quite a few more nuclear reactors. I for one refuse to live like my grandparents.

Last edited by plwhit; 05-18-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

It is ridiculous to think one will be able to get electricity rates minute by minute or hour by hour.
I just happen to know it off the top of my head, but I can cite a source that illustrates it. Here's a graph from an academic paper written by a Berkeley professor showing the price per kWh at some US utility over the month of June 2000. The highest horizontal line shows the rate charged by the utility. The black spiky lines show the HOURLY wholesale price that the utility was paying.

Quote:
For people to be able to shop around they MUST be living in cities and areas that are deregulated, ("have choice").

None of these providers offer anything other than fixed rate plans. For Texas check out:

Texas Electricity Ratings | Compare Texas Electric Companies | Save on Texas Electricity Service
Utilities can't vary the rates until they have some means to measure usage at a given time. The meters have to be deployed before the rates can change.

Quote:
When I see words like "I hope" "may" "probably" "IMO" the poster is talking fantasy world. Yes sometime in the future something like what you fantasize about might become reality but not anytime within the next century.

I don't know how many hundreds of things I've read about where "this technology can enable......." but never makes it into the real world.

Smart meters at this point are another way electric companies can screw their customers, period.
Kind of a curmudgeonly way to look at it, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
And Smart grids.... gimme a break. The country is broke, we can't afford to fix our road/bridge infrastructure and we are going to spend 2 trillion dollars upgrading our electrical infrastructure?
Apples and oranges. Roads and bridges are owned by government. The electrical infrastructure is owned by the utilities that built it, some of which are municipal, but most of which are private/public companies. Taxpayers won't be paying to upgrade the electrical grid, ratepayers will.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Apples and oranges. Roads and bridges are owned by government. The electrical infrastructure is owned by the utilities that built it, some of which are municipal, but most of which are private/public companies. Taxpayers won't be paying to upgrade the electrical grid, ratepayers will.
Mox nix, WE will still pay for it in higher utility rates, use some common sense.

And how many people in America don't use the electrical grid? .00000000000000000001%?

Stop and think about it for a minute, the utility companies can't afford to build any new plants so what do they do?

Dream up smart meters to charge people more for their electricity and use a propaganda campaign ALLUDING to cost savings that MIGHT occur sometime down the road........

Hmmmm, now where have I heard that fantasy before?

Last edited by plwhit; 05-18-2011 at 01:51 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I just happen to know it off the top of my head, but I can cite a source that illustrates it. Here's a graph from an academic paper written by a Berkeley professor showing the price per kWh at some US utility over the month of June 2000. The highest horizontal line shows the rate charged by the utility. The black spiky lines show the HOURLY wholesale price that the utility was paying.
Ahhhh, another industry-sponsored research study.

So you are reading into this research paper that the utility companies will charge you accordingly?

LMAO......

Old 05-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Just like we can choose to drive less and pay less often at the pump when gas is over $4 a gallon,
I think a better analogy is like charging you $4 a gallon for the gas you use during rush hour.

Quote:
I guess they prefer it when utilities make people use ZERO electricity temporarily during rolling blackouts!
Get the protesters and the lawyers out of the way where new generation is needed. Problem solved.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

its common knowledge to those of us in the electrical industry.

the utility doesn't adjust what you're being charged the same as the varying rate they're paying; they have an average rate to bill customers.

in my end of the business, most of the material we use are traded commodities, and the price varies wildly throughout the day by as much as 20%, and yearly by as much as 400%. but we can't adjust our prices throughout the day either, so we use an average. on large scale projects, we can contract materials at whatever rate they happen to be at when we send an rfq, and that is the number we have to go with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology