Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times

Advertisements

Old thread. That poster is long gone. Between the two threads, he and I had a decent (if fiery ) discussion, and I think... we came to a more or less common ground. He brought forward some extremely valid points overall. The fish tank - meh - not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Okay, you have crossed the line. God knows there is nothing rigged about this test, yet you fabricate your own arguments why ionization is better. We don't need any of your BS.
Incorrect, we don't need YOUR BS...

Harry's observation(s) are right on...

Old 06-25-2012, 07:30 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
If they are banned, can I collect all of the Americium-based smoke detectors, and make one huge alpha-emitter, and ultimately hit critical mass? This thread is ridiculous.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 PM

23 posts, read 132,028 times
according to the national institute of health it seems to say to follow the manf's direction's to Install natural gas alarms /co however it just seems to say just to plug in not to mount on wall near ceiling

Source: smokealarms.com model MCND401

Other Than that I think you saw the full-scale test I embeded You should listen to Mr. Adrian Butler the one who talked about the worldfiresafetyfoundation did you know the chairman of the first home fire detection code is on his advisory board{Richard Patton)???

Mr. Adrian Butler (smoke alarm consumer safety advocate is supporting the idea that the combination alarm is a "Deadly Compromise")

-telly

Old 03-13-2015, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,288 times
Missing from the discusson is the fact that Ionization Detectors will detect Products of Combustion whereas a Photoelectric Detector will not. This includes such transparent gasses as Natural Gas. For example, should you have a gas leak the Ionization Detector will activate BEFORE there is a fire, not after the house has blown off the foundation and you are laying in the driveway smoldering as your Photoelectric Detector finally goes off. This is why there are two types, both should be utilizied based upon the specific application and location as determined by the hazard.
G. Miller, P.E Fire Protection Engineer

Old 03-14-2015, 08:44 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default What state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My state requires ...a radon detector to be installed
Really? What state? Radon?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Would those arguing against a ban (as would I) agree that, if not already done, the packaging should mention the limitations on each type of detector?

Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Would those arguing against a ban (as would I) agree that, if not already done, the packaging should mention the limitations on each type of detector?
I would seem to me the competition would take advantage of it.

In any event the issue here is cost, while it would be nice if we could all be driving around in cars that are 100% survivable in a crash that is pointless if no can afford the car. Same thing applies here, if you are Joe six pack trying to support 2 kids and just getting by an alarm you can afford is better than no alarm.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I wonder about the whole deal of fancy smoke detectors being required. I grew up in a house heated with a pile of burning coal in the basement furnace and a coal stove in the kitchen. In that situation smoke detectors would have bee sounding off continuously. All my smoke detectors, presumably ionization devices but I have not looked, tell me is I am burning something on the cook stove.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder about the whole deal of fancy smoke detectors being required. I grew up in a house heated with a pile of burning coal in the basement furnace and a coal stove in the kitchen. In that situation smoke detectors would have bee sounding off continuously. All my smoke detectors, presumably ionization devices but I have not looked, tell me is I am burning something on the cook stove.
Greg I'm not aware of any issues with coal for home heating and smoke detectors during normal operation no matter what kind of unit you are using.

Abnormal would be leaving the ash pan door open which is a common practice to get the fire going faster after reloading in hand fired stove. This itself is not an issue until you forget to close it after about 15 or 30 minutes. Stove gets cherry red after about an hour and stuff starts smoking. Worse part is there is no way to slow it down fast except perhaps throwing dirt/sand on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology