Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 PM

10,904 posts, read 5,877,981 times

Advertisements

In my parts, the cheap smoke detectors don't work simply because they are so flipping effective they get disconnected. They go off with normal cooking and sometimes they just go off. The result is zero fire detection and people die as a result. Having said that, I have never set off an alarm with my cooking but my partner and her son and my son have all set off the flipping thing. Result - we have no smoke alarm! Oops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 08:17 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,194,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
By your logic, we should legalize marijuana, cocaine, and other illegal drugs.

I don't see why you are being so defensive about ionization-type smoke detectors. The UL standards for testing smoke detectors is far out of date, and doesn't really represent real world fires. When these tests were made, most homes had furniture that had cotton filling. However, with the increased use of polyurethane filling, the fumes produced by furniture burning can actually be toxic. This is an important problem with ionization-type detectors, as a room can get filled with toxic smoke and the detector fails to detect it.

Trust me, I am not biased, I am just educated. You are the one who is clearly biased.

You're right, we should.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:22 PM

725 posts, read 800,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
But why would you want only minimal protection from an ionization-type alarm, instead of total protection from a photoelectric alarm?

Clearly, the ideal solution would a detector that detects smoke, propane, natural gas, and CO, but at least the smoke detecting part should use a photoelectric sensor.

And by banning ionization type detectors, I don't mean that everyone shourd replace theirs instantly, I simply mean that no new ionization type detectors should be manufactured or sold. This would be a gradual phase out,

Let the public decide which ones they want. If they are too stupid then it's a matter of natural selection.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:38 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,918,808 times
I have 2 ionizing smoke detectors, if I barely burn anything on the stove they go off, really, who wants soft mushy bacon?

Besides that terrorists need a source of cheap radioactive material

Old 03-23-2015, 03:16 AM

10,904 posts, read 5,877,981 times
And the recommended place for those smoke detectors is right where any stove smoke will reach it. Like just outside the kitchen door or something. Maybe we should move them where they will give us protection but not necessarily save the kitchen (or at least gives us annoying false alarms).

So my vote actually goes to not banning them but rather placing them in more creative places. (I'm not in the USA so my vote is just an opinion).

Old 05-10-2020, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 656 times
Default Suspicious Person

Let's try this Harry: Set up 2 houses, 1 equipped with photoelectric type smoke alarms in all rooms & the other with ionization smoke alarms. You get to sleep in the ionization-equipped death trap & I'll be in the photoelectric house. While sleeping, a smoldering fire takes place: same time & method: soldering iron in a couch. According to a 2.5 year Texas A & M study on ionization vs photoelectric smoke alarms, as well as fatal fire statistics, you'll probably be overcome by toxic smoke & not make it out alive, since ionization smoke alarms have been PROVEN to sound too late, or not at all. But you didn't know this, because the smoke alarm packaging didn't reveal this information. It just stated it was good for general use. But because you were deceived by this misinformation, you paid the ultimate price. Survival's still possible, along with burns & smoke inhalation. I'd rather see you safe, in the photoelectric equipped house, instead of going through the hell that others have. The IAFF recommends using ONLY the photoelectric type smoke alarms. Even the firefighters were surprised to see the earlier warning that the photoelectric type gave over ionization. See YouTube: Rossen smoke alarm report. Read Jay Flemings report. Ionization smoke alarm manufacturers need to divulge this deadly delay, for smoldering fires on their packaging. They should be banned because of their PROVEN UNRELIABILITY. Dig in & do the research. Why in Gods name, would you want such an inferior safety product on the store shelves? For freedom of choice? Freedom to kill yourself, family members, friends, neighbors, because this piece of junk didn't sound during a fire? It's that serious. The International Association of Firefighters endorsed ONLY the Photoelectric Type Smoke Alarm, in 2008. I trust them & the Texas A&M study, not the manufacturers of a product, that has repeatedly failed & allowed others to die by fire. Unacceptable - ionization smoke alarms have contributed to human suffering & loss of life & property by fire/smoke & should be discontinued.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:53 AM

9,240 posts, read 10,998,512 times
Good discussion here. Thanks, Harry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology