Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:34 AM

89 posts, read 207,673 times

Advertisements

Dear people who don't think Global Warming is real.

I have been to ask to talk about Why Global Warming is not real at a conference they asked me to do a 30mins speak about it. I so far can do only 3 mins can you help me to make it longer please. I need to do the Speak at the end of June.

Please help me to explain our side the best way to Convince people to join our side. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 03:47 AM

89 posts, read 207,673 times
To give you more info about me I am 17 Year's Old and one of the teachers at School Asked me to do this He is not one of my teacher's which is good. I am going to speak at his classer about this aswell.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post
You're going down the wrong path if you're going to try an make this argument. There isn't much argument that Global Warming isn't happening.

What is in question is the extent and cause. These arguments mostly revolve around the integrity of the data and the politics involved.

What people don't realize is the temperature data presented to the public is manipulated from the raw data, they have to do this to remove obvious errors however it's a point where bias can be injected. Take for example this graph which represents the raw data fro one temperature station:

This would indicate global cooling if we were to only use the raw data from this one station however it doesn't take a genius to realize there is shift of the readings around 1940. This may be caused by many things like they changed the location of the thermometer. They will look for anomalies like this and adjust the data accordingly using different methods. What's been found is more often than not these adjustments show a distinct bias for warming. In this case a temperature record that appears to show neither cooling or warming is adjusted to show warming. The red line is what it was adjusted too.

The Smoking Gun At Darwin Zero | Watts Up With That?

Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Top Ten US Killer Tornadoes

Old 05-30-2011, 06:18 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post

I have been to ask to talk about Why Global Warming is not real at a conference they asked me to do a 30mins speak about it. I so far can do only 3 mins can you help me to make it longer please. I need to do the Speak at the end of June.

Please help me to explain our side the best way to Convince people to join our side. Thank you.
Who knows? I read a short article saying that the next hundred years would be colder than normal (from Oak Ridge -- couldn't find it, though). I read another one, elsewhere, that said summers would be warmer than normal, but didn't give a prediction

What I'd do is find as many different credible articles as I can find, instead of looking for science articles that you want to support your belief. You'll see articles are not all that credible, so you'll have to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff (The dry bracts enclosing mature grains of wheat and some other cereal grasses, removed during threshing, if you get my meaning...)

Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
There is alot of good information on this site....

JunkScience.com | All the Junk That's Fit to Debunk

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
I think the earlier poster is on the right track and I would ask the teacher for clarification. You will find few sources to counter that the planet isn't warming. However, you will find many sources questioning how much or the validity of whether or not man's actions have an impact.

What I would ask for clarification on is whether you are to debunk global warming in its entirety or just debunk mans impact on it. That will lead you down two different paths.

The first will have you focusing on things like Climate Gate and inaccuracies in the temperature data as well as failed predictions and seemingly counter trends. You could also bring up the idea of monetizing climate change and the money made off of things like cap and trade plans among others.

The other will have you looking at alternates to the theory of anthroprogenic (mad made) global warming. This will be looking at studies about the history of climate cycles and solar activity as well as the impact of cloud cover. Many of these theories hold that man's actions have from negligible to no impact on the planets temperature and that it is simply a natural cycle.

PS Watch Al Gores movie an Inconvenient Truth and look at the tactics he uses to illustrate his point. If you can include a Power Point presentation it will be easy to fill up 30 minutes as you will be relying on graphics and charts to push home your point. You will realize that Gore's seminal moment in his lecture is the use of the CO2 graph going off the chart and him climbing on the lift to illustrate how high it goes. That single moment drove home his point more than anything he said. A picture is worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:28 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Coalman is just touching the surface. The real issue is NOT global warming. The issue is Al Gore promoting his college thesis paper as fact, buying into companies that would benefit from cap and trade, and ignoring overall realities.

Gore posits that carbon dioxide, methane, and a few other compounds are the baddies. So... in countries that go along with his idea, industries creating carbon dioxide are penalized, and silly schemes like turning abandoned mines into giant CO2 bottles are lauded as "environmentally responsible. Meantime, those established industries operating under supervision are forced to move to China, rebuild, and get their power from NEW coal fired power plants that don't have proper control of emissions of the same subject gases OR mercury. The net result of his crusade, when you figure increased shipping, building new factories, degradation of power sources, and all other factors is... you guessed it - MORE global carbon dioxide emissions than before. Gore is a narcissistic hypocrite who never learned the Hippocratic Oath - "First - do no harm."

You can be assured that no matter how eloquently you make your points, no matter how many facts you present, you will not change one single mind or opinion. This is a religious issue of new age thinking, and the holy grail of eco-nuts.

Just for grins and giggles, it is pretty well documented that more UV radiation is reaching the surface of the earth now that the ozone layer has been more spotty. UV radiation is a form of energy. Energy decays into heat. Is it possible that a portion of global warming is due to the increase in ensolation in the UV bands, due to ozone reduction? Or... has anyone researched the effects of high altitude jet travel and the introduction of unburned hydrocarbons into the upper atmosphere where it can further deplete ozone? Or... the effects of turning grassland and forests into BLACK asphalt roads and decreasing the albedo of the earth, or... I could go on and on. The point is that Al is a politician and not a rocket scientist and has no business leading such a crusade.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Coalman is just touching the surface.
I can scratch a little more for those interested. Here's great explanation of the famous "hide the decline" comment"and how it relates to the equally famous "Hockey Stick" Graph.

YouTube - ‪Climategate 'hide the decline' explained by Berkeley professor Richard A. Muller‬‏

Not explained here is they also truncated one line even after using the "trick". This is near the bottom of the hockey stick where it starts go upward, the portion of green line that takes a nose dive was never published and if you look at the Michael Mann version it gets buried in some sphaghetti almost asif they were trying to hide that it ended.

http://climateaudit.org/2010/06/23/arthur-smiths-trick/

Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
Global Warming is a myth!!! We are goin thru on a Climate Change.

Thru ice core samples they have proven that there have been other colimate changes thru the past.

One thing that I have learned is that EVERY planet in this solar system is going thru a change as we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology