Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM

244 posts, read 299,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Consider the chart Charles posted, was Led Zep a super group back then? Do groups evolve into a "Super Group"? If you take Mettalica as an example they had a very close knit following, now everyone knows who they are. Other than "One" they are probably in the same boat Led Zep was with nothing ever to to make it on the charts. They weren't even played on the radio at all. 20, 30 or 50 years from now people will still be listening to them.
Point well taken, however I would argue that U2 is not in the same category as Led Zeppelin. U2 is and has always been hugely popular. But I get your point about a band growing into its status.

It was strange, and I don't know that it has happened to too many bands, that the critics got it wrong for Led Zeppelin. I have to admit that I hated the Beatles for years and years - would actually jump up to change to station as soon as I heard them. After I got a little older I came to marvel at the skill with which they played, and often the beauty of the lyrics.

I'm still a little confused by the OP that suggests that technology could change music. I did love the commercial a while back where that guy asks for the guacamole in that electronic voice - classic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 03:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
I wasn't suggesting U2 and Led Zeppelin were comparable but I think the Zep - Metallica comparison is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
After I got a little older I came to marvel at the skill with which they played, and often the beauty of the lyrics.
The Beatles and U2 both have the same recipe, well played simple (not sure simple is the right word) music with great lyrics.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times
Yes, there is "good" and "bad" music:

mu·sic
–noun
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

When some of those elements are lacking, it ceases to be music. An element not listed, but is conspicuous by its absence is modulation (unless that is a part of color). When all amps and speakers are turned up to the maximum physical capacity of the available electrical generating system and distributive grid, it crosses the line from music to noise, regardless of what other elements or qualities it might have otherwise possessed. When so much effort is dedicated to defeating modulation, it makes me wonder what other fundamental elements of music are missing, with that absence being disguised.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-30-2011 at 11:52 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times
Quote:

I just got tired of hearing the same old songs from yesteryear, regardless of how much I still love them.
Agree 1,000%. I used to love Rush. I still do but if I hear Tom Sawyer one more time I WILL shoot myself. I just can't listen to that stuff anymore.
I just don't under stand how classic rock stations continue to survive...
I like a LOT of new music and to say there isn't any out there today??? Yea... you do sound like your mom Beiula.

I think as some people get older they just become their parents. To wit: talking to my sister a few months back.
Her: "My god I can't believe some of the music my daughter listens to. Have you heard this "I Kissed a Girl" song? I mean MY GOD REALLY?!?!?!"
Me: "Oh, hi mom!"
Her: "I am not mom!"
Me: "Uh.. you are. Kiss a Girl is WORSE then your favorite band from the 80's? Really sis?" (btw I think that's a fun tune)
"Remember this..."

Whitesnake: Slide it in
"I know what you want,
I can see what you're looking for,
I know what you want from me,
An' I'm gonna give you more
I'm gonna slide it in
Right to the top,
Slide it in"

Quote:
But I agree that music hasn't developed in a way that has continued to capture my attention.
But the dlivery system has changed. Where are you looking for new music. I mean I gather you really aren't looking, but there are some excellent methods of finding new good music that do not involve your car radio.
Pandora and Slacker Radio being just 2 free methods.

Quote:
Where are the outrageously inventive performers like Freddie Mercury and amazing guitarists like Jimmy Page?
SOMEWHAT agree... but there are a few out there.
Have you heard of Kenny Wayne Shepherd?

YouTube - ‪Kenny Wayne Shepherd "Blue on Black" Live At Guitar Center's King of the Blues‬‏

Quote:
I listen to Pandora because it offers me comparitive music that I know I like.
DOH! Answered that question. lol Aren't you finding new groups there?

Quote:
I have found groups like Helen Stellar and My Morning Jacket, but their repertoir does not go as deep for me as The Police, The Doors, or The Rolling Stones.
Give 'em time.

I didn't mean to dissect your post and ignore everyone else. lol Just wanted to comment on the first part and just kept going.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree 1,000%. I used to love Rush. I still do but if I hear Tom Sawyer one more time I WILL shoot myself. I just can't listen to that stuff anymore.
I just don't under stand how classic rock stations continue to survive...
My personal favorite to hate is "Love Hurts" especially when there is so many good songs on that album like this Gem:

YouTube - ‪nazareth - Changin' Times - Hair of the Dog‬‏

We do have one pretty good radio station here that plays a lot of off the wall stuff you rarely hear on the radio and will even mix it up with some local bands. You might have whole week with no repeats.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,639,853 times
Music is a money industry. The masses now days are asses so we need ass music to make money. Country music is still there. I'd say the biggest consumers of music are young folks who only remember 90s and 2000s music. Older folks are content with listening to the 100s of stations that plays 50s-80s and maybe a few modern pop songs. Itunes and XM radio and pandora etc make that possible so it becomes hard today to compete with music of the past, so maybe they mix it up and now these electronic genres are popular. I still think there's good music coming out though. Maybe it'll take 10 years before we appreciate the music of today.

If u watch the bet or mtv or vh1 awards though, its sad.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You get few that claim "Super Group" status every few years. I can't comment on the last 10 or 15 years but late 80's through the mid nineties Mettallica and U2 would fit in that category.

Consider the chart Charles posted, was Led Zep a super group back then? Do groups evolve into a "Super Group"? If you take Mettalica as an example they had a very close knit following, now everyone knows who they are. Other than "One" they are probably in the same boat Led Zep was with nothing ever to to make it on the charts. They weren't even played on the radio at all. 20, 30 or 50 years from now people will still be listening to them.
Not to debate music here, but ...And Justice For All was Metallica's last good album, and that came out, when, 1988? Granted they became a super-group when Black came out in 1991, but that was largely due to MTV, and if it wasn't for MTV, Metallica would probably still be relatively unknown to the mainstream--much like Slayer is still today. U2 was popular because they wrote catchy songs, where relatively "safe" (no backwards-messages on their songs, radio friendly, you know--the kind of music that a suburban mom would not raise an eyebrow over), and got a lot of airplay. They were also considered contemporary pop music.

Led Zeppelin was different. They were the band for the disenfranchised (the working-class stiff, the long-hair drop out, bored teenagers). Even though they were big back in the day, they were primarily listened to by an underground crowd. That style of music was too new, too raw, and too "controversial" at the time to really appeal to anything but a niche crowd. It wasn't until the 80s, when more "intense" bands like Venom, Motorhead (okay, they began in the 70s), Metallica, Slayer, Deth, etc., etc. and the wave of punk rock music, that "society" realized two things:

1. You could make money from this type of music.

2. Led Zeppelin was tame by comparison. So they became okay because it was evident that you were not going to turn into a dope-smoking, goat-sacrificing, Satan-worshiper from listening to them.

I guess there was a 3rd, too: kids who grew up listening to Led Zeppelin were getting into the music industry in one way or another in the 80s.

Quote:
I'm still a little confused by the OP that suggests that technology could change music. I did love the commercial a while back where that guy asks for the guacamole in that electronic voice - classic!
Anyone with two-firing brain cells can create music these days. Up until perhaps the early 2000s, you still had to purchase "musical" hardware. At the very least, a keyboard with MIDI capability, samplers, or a rhythm composer (drum machine), etc. There are many free apps now that do all of that....for free. Heck, you don't even know how to play the guitar, or even sing. Just use an Auto-Tune type program, and wala, perfect pitch and tone every time!

Although it takes some creativity, there really is no effort required at all. I think that is where the OP is leading to. All of this technology has created a space where anyone can "make" music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology