U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM

26,342 posts, read 90,578,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
Otherwise, why do you think that only such a small percentage of the population wants to grow up to become scientists?
What does "a small percentage" mean? Maybe too many people want to be scientists. Are scientists in demand? Is their unemployment rate near zero?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It would be nice, that is for sure.

Personally, I think 2 semesters of Calc and 2 semesters of Calc Physics should be mandatory general ed.
I'd agree if you also require them to throw a 95 MPH fastball or have a 85% free throw percentage or can run 40 yards in less than five seconds.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 PM

15,395 posts, read 21,719,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'd agree if you also require them to throw a 95 MPH fastball or have a 85% free throw percentage or can run 40 yards in less than five seconds.
You hit the nail on the head.

Sports are glorified and sports professionals are grossly overpaid.

While Scientists who study hard for years are considered "nerds", "geeks", etcetera by our society....while being vilified by a certain segment of our population.

Just watch any typical American "B" movie(in general) where the smart kids are picked on/bullied while the "dumb" jocks rule and "get the girl".

Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 AM

836 posts, read 4,722,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
School systems cutting back on lab materials where lab experiments have been replaced by lectures about the lab experiments they didn't do, is another factor.

Excellent point. Many students who are initally attracted to the sciences are hands-on type of learners. They like to 'do', not just listen to lectures and hear about experiments.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM

13,056 posts, read 12,540,882 times
Quote:
I never really tried to achieve those levels, are you saying the average person can be trained to achieve such? If so, then yes, that too.

I am however saying that the average person can handle 2 semesters of Calc and Physics. The problem with those classes is not "I can't", rather it is "I don't want to".

Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I never really tried to achieve those levels, are you saying the average person can be trained to achieve such? If so, then yes, that too.

I am however saying that the average person can handle 2 semesters of Calc and Physics. The problem with those classes is not "I can't", rather it is "I don't want to".
What about "Why should I?" How many "average people" need two semesters of calculus and physics? I think it would do them and society a lot more good if everyone had at least one PE class every semester. I took five (5) PE classes just about every semester.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM

13,056 posts, read 12,540,882 times
Quote:
What about "Why should I?" How many "average people" need two semesters of calculus and physics? I think it would do them and society a lot more good if everyone had at least one PE class every semester. I took five (5) PE classes just about every semester.
I understand your point, and I can agree to an extent. Yet my problem is that when you look all of the already mandated classes in many states which are arguably just as irrelevant and pointless depending on your focus (I attended a CA school) such as social anthropology, ethnic studies, sensitivity to cultures, Chicano history, etc... You would think that level math and physics would be important.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 PM

2,622 posts, read 4,094,127 times
The reason science knowledge is so important is that the average person is completely dependent on technology that they cannot begin to comprehend. Not everyone needs to be able to build a cell phone from scratch, but people should have a general idea of how the technology works. Now that so much of the food that we eat is a synthetic mixture of engineered proteins, salts, artificial flavors, preservatives, fortified with minerals, etc, it is important that an average person be able to understand a nutrition label. In the old days, common sense was good enough. You simply knew that leaving metal tools in the rain would cause them to rust, or that spoiled food was bad to eat, or that improper sanitation results in illness. The modern world is not so intuitive. Do most people know why a gasoline engine can't run on diesel yet can tolerate high concentrations of ethanol, or why doubling your dose of some medications is harmless while with others it can be fatal? Manufacturers can only do so much to protect people from their own ignorance, and at some point the inefficiency of making all consumer products idiot-proof will create vast societal problems,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology