Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times

Advertisements

I am a single guy, so if I get roasted it is no loss. Please do not try, I am just posting because it is pretty interesting to me.

I have been recharging disposable batteries and it seems to give them a new life. I started with the little 9 volt batteries and can get them to charge back to 9 volts. I am really careful not to let the batteries get too warm when charging. They work fine after the charging process.

I have also charged AA and AAA cells with success. Charging voltage is about 120% of rated battery voltage.

I killed a 9 volt by letting it sit on the charger too long, probably damaged the chemicals in the battery/cell.

So I see these charges sold on the internet that are specifically for charging disposables. Does anyone know how much different they are from a regular battery charger?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
We have one and it works great.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
I use a wireless keyboard and mouse. The mouse requires battery exchange about every ten days or so, the keyboard rarely. Using standard non rechargeable used a lot of batteries. With the rechargeable, I've already saved the cost of the recharge device.

Been doing this a couple of years or more, same AA batteries.

There was a thread about rechargeables a couple of years ago, suggesting they don't last long in small power devices. I tried and agree with a B&D drill. Was okay for easy jobs but drained to quickly with more serious requirements.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We have one and it works great.
Does the documentation give you any idea about the "secrets" that give it the ability to recharge disposables........I am very curious about the circuitry??????????????????

Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,595 times
What's with the four thousand question marks in this thread?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,597 times
Recharging batteries not designed to be recharged is only marginally useful. Alkaline nonrechargeable batteries can be recharged if they have only been drained slightly, but after they have been drained deeply the entropy associated with their loss of surface area creates such an overpotential that the voltage required to reverse the redox chemistry and recharge the battery would split water and evolve H2 and O2 and ruin the cell. Corrosion is also a problem.

From a practicality standpoint, you have little to gain by recharging disposable batteries when rechargeable batteries are so readily available.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 PM

[quote=Chemistry_Guy;20229386]Recharging batteries not designed to be recharged is only marginally useful. Alkaline nonrechargeable batteries can be recharged if they have only been drained slightly, but after they have been drained deeply the entropy associated with their loss of surface area creates such an overpotential that the voltage required to reverse the redox chemistry and recharge the battery would split water and evolve H2 and O2 and ruin the cell. Corrosion is also a problem.

From a practicality standpoint, you have little to gain by recharging disposable batteries when rechargeable batteries are so readily available.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the great information.

And yeah, I have rechargables, but I am very cheap and curious......so I gave it a whirl. And the price of rechargeables has gone through the roof.

What I have done is put 2 nine volts in parallel for my microcontroller dc function (servo does not like dirty DC). When they stopped powering the micro board I threw them on the charger and they came back up to about 9 Volts. But the mistake I made is letting one set of batteries to cook for too long.............darn, the unloaded voltage looked ok (8.5 volts), but under load the voltage fell to 3 volts.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I use a wireless keyboard and mouse. The mouse requires battery exchange about every ten days or so, the keyboard rarely. Using standard non rechargeable used a lot of batteries. With the rechargeable, I've already saved the cost of the recharge device.

Been doing this a couple of years or more, same AA batteries.

There was a thread about rechargeables a couple of years ago, suggesting they don't last long in small power devices. I tried and agree with a B&D drill. Was okay for easy jobs but drained to quickly with more serious requirements.
I had that problem with an old wireless explorer mouse a long time ago. Though to be honest, there are so many very affordable rechargeable mice these days, it seems like a lot of work. I am using a more expensive mouse, but the Logitech MX revolution mouse seems to work great and I never have to worry about batteries.

As for keyboard, I haven't looked into them too much (I just always use wired as I don't need much mobility with it), so I am unsure about the options one would have concerning "rechargeable".

Old 12-25-2011, 03:35 PM

If you are charging primary(non-rechargeable....hehe) cells it is kinda risky.

Do not attempt to bring the voltage up to full charge levels all in one charge session...........they will get too hot........then explode............how do I know..........just happened to me.....DOH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology