Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain the difference between the two (if there is a difference) as i've watched documentaries about ''String Theory'' which is supposedly the basic matter of all elements in the universe correct (?) and yet over the last several years i keep reading about how CERN is looking for the ''God Particle'' or basic element of the universe (?) and so i'm curious if they are the same or different etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
“God Particle” is to dig deeper into the idea of the origin of everything we know with the Big Bang. String Theory, attempts to present a different scenario of the origin, where the Big Bang, we generally speak of, could be just one of many such periodic occurrences. The primary difference between the two being between the concept of universe versus multi-verse, the latter not relying on one instance of everything coming into existence but an ongoing process that has always existed.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times
What has been dubbed the "God particle" is the Higgs boson, which are contained in what's called a Higgs Field which may permeate the entire universe everywhere at every point all the time. There might be as many as 5 Higgs Fields. It has been wondered why some particles have mass and some don't. The Higgs boson seems to work out quite well as an explanation. These particles might pop in and out of existence very quickly. If indeed the Higgs boson exists, and it just might, it's been stubbornly elusive, thus the search continues to either confirm its existence or rule it out as non-existent. Both Cern and Fermilab are looking for it, and might have found a few tempting spikes in the particle collision data that might be an indication of the Higgs boson. As far as I know it hasn't yet been confirmed what those spikes represent. They could just be a fluke.

I thought I had posted these clips somewhere, but I'm not sure where. It can help visualize how particles interact with and get mass from the Higgs.

‪What is a Higgs Boson?‬‏ - YouTube

(The volume is pretty low in this video. You might want to turn up the volume of the video and your computer.)

‪The Higgs Boson and Mass‬‏ - YouTube

‪'The God Particle': The Higgs Boson‬‏ - YouTube

They aren't th same. There is a difference between String theory and the Higgs. String theory is extremely complicated, but generally seems to involve events that take place in quantum gravity and extra dimensions, functions at all scales both macro and quantum, and functions as events that are both inside and outside of the universe (it supports the concept of a multiverse or something that exists outside of the existence of the universe). In effect, strings are likened as frequencies or vibrations. Different frequencies produce different results including matter and forces.

The Higgs boson would be a result of such strings. Its worth noting that string theory encompasses both open strings and closed strings. It's hoped the LHC might give some hints that reveal whether string theory is correct or not.

I know, that's a pretty feeble description, so please don't be too hard on me. It's extremely heady stuff, at least for me it is.

‪Simplifying String Theory‬‏ - YouTube

‪String Theory - (2 Minutes)‬‏ - YouTube

A BigThink video of Lisa Randall talking about strings.
Lisa Randall | Physicist, Harvard University | Big Think

Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
As I understand it The Higg's Boson is the "God" particle.......it is the particle that gives everything in the Universe the mass that we observe.

String Theory is a theoritical attempt at a Theory Of Everything.....where ALL the Four Forces of nature and their interactions with matter can be mathematically explained.

Higgs boson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

String theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theory of everything - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I think M-Theory is correct....a version of String Theory where strings are one dimensional vibrating slices of 2 dimensional Membranes within an 11 dimensional spacetime.

M-theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a Calibi-Yau Manifold....a mathematical representation of String Theory.

Calabi

Here are you tube videos on M-Theory with everyone's favorite physicist.

‪M-Theory Part 1/6‬‏ - YouTube

‪M-Theory Part 2/6‬‏ - YouTube

‪M-Theory Part 3/6‬‏ - YouTube

‪M-Theory Part 4/6‬‏ - YouTube

‪M-Theory Part 5/6‬‏ - YouTube

‪M-Theory Part 6/6‬‏ - YouTube

I hope this helps ya understand 6 Foot...let me know!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
“God Particle” is to dig deeper into the idea of the origin of everything we know with the Big Bang. String Theory, attempts to present a different scenario of the origin, where the Big Bang, we generally speak of, could be just one of many such periodic occurrences. The primary difference between the two being between the concept of universe versus multi-verse, the latter not relying on one instance of everything coming into existence but an ongoing process that has always existed.
O.k. so if i'm following you here in that you believe that the God Particle is part of the ''big bang'' event and that String Theory is part of a multi-verse or am i wrong here?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:10 AM

NightBazaar

i'll check out your posted links later on this morning and i appreciate your answers to my question. One more question and so would ''Neutrinos'' be the same as the God Particle or Higgs Bosom as you called it?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 AM

PITTS

thanks for all the posted info and links and yeap i'll get to them in a bit this morning and then if i have any other questions i'll post them later on and so thanks man !!!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
NightBazaar

i'll check out your posted links later on this morning and i appreciate your answers to my question. One more question and so would ''Neutrinos'' be the same as the God Particle or Higgs Bosom as you called it?
No, neutrinos are different than the Higgs boson. They are grouped as different elementary particles. Neutrinos are are grouped as leptons, a subgroup of Fermions, which include the Electron, Electron neutrino, Muon, Muon neutrino, Tau, and Tau neutrino. Bosons are a different group include Photon, W boson, Z boson, Gluon, Higgs boson, and Graviton. The Graviton, also unconfirmed, is added to the list of bosons, but is not predicted by the Standard Model.
List of particles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Higgs boson is the only particle related to the Standard Model that has not been confirmed. The Higgs does not interact with the fundamental forces, but is thought to exist in what is called the Higgs Field. Higgs bosons are thought to sort stick or attach to different particles at different rates as those particles pass through the Higgs Field giving the particles mass.

As an added note, there are different versions as to why the Higgs boson was nicknamed the God Particle, which was picked up by the press as a sensational catchy name. One version has it that the Higgs would give a look at the mechanisms of God. Another is that because of its elusiveness, and is a God damned hard particle to find. Regardless, it's correctly known as the Higgs Boson.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:38 AM

Hey thanks again everyone as i have a better understanding of both the String theory and the Higgs Boson (God Particle). I'm wondering if the Higgs Field could be considered the ''god force'' since its the mysterious force that holds all matter together from my now understanding correct?

Old 07-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Hey thanks again everyone as i have a better understanding of both the String theory and the Higgs Boson (God Particle). I'm wondering if the Higgs Field could be considered the ''god force'' since its the mysterious force that holds all matter together from my now understanding correct?
Not necessarily. It could be an effect or property that was generated or created by the Big Bang. The Higgs boson is still unconfirmed. As far as I know, the spikes of interest in the data have not been determined if in fact it is an event pointing to the existence of the Higgs boson. That said, assuming that the Higgs boson is confirmed, then the Higgs Field is basically where the Higgs bosons exist, and that would probably be that it exists at all points everywhere in the universe. The question is to hopefully find an answer to why particles get mass. It would not explain why elementary particles and forces exist in the first place.

I'm not sure a "field" can be considered as a "force". Remember, the thinking is that Higgs bosons may sort of stick to elementary particles as they pass through the Higgs Field (which is everywhere) converting energy into mass. Different particles would end up with only what is required for that type of particle. Some particles may require more, some may require less. In other words, the elementary particles already exist. It's just that they get mass from the energy as they the through Higgs bosons. Take another look at the videos I posted to understand how that's thought to work.

If the particles get their mass from Higgs particles, then that would certainly be significant in relation to matter. But in general, if the Higgs particle is confirmed to exist, it would add another solid piece to the puzzle in our understanding of how the universe works.

If String Theory is correct, then Higgs bosons, and probably the Field itself, would most likely be nothing more than manifestations of oscillating strings as well, just like everything else. At the present time, the idea of the Higgs Field and Higgs bosons are considered relative to the universe itself. However, it's entirely possible that they might not only occupy our 4-D space-time universe, but maybe exist in higher (and very tiny) multi-dimensional configurations as well. It's tempting to consider multi-dimensional layers of reality, but we'd need to first confirm that other exotic dimensions even exist. Confirming the Higgs boson exists might help point to a host of other new discoveries, including extra dimensions which would greatly strengthen String Theory.

That's just my take on it though.

Last edited by NightBazaar; 07-30-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology