Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM

88 posts, read 223,129 times

Advertisements

I've always read interesting articles on the current technology we have like solar powered homes and hydroelectric cars, but I don't see any serious effort to implement these new technologies in our everyday lives.

When will this technology become affordable and cheap to compete against he current coal and gas powered markets? Will it even be possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,688 times
The time is now. Solar energy can compete with fossilized fuels, and can significantly increase sustainability of any region by reducing the amount of fossilized fuels required to power homes and industry during the day when peak energy consumption occurs. There are currently no economical means of storage for energy, but the technology is definitely underway. Solar energy will be many times more powerful when a viable and economical mass storage solution is brought to the market. We would ensure energy independence for everyone, we would be able to conserve our non renewable resources. The technology has the ability to grow in ability and become far less expensive the more it is implemeted, and manufactured, and developed. The solar cell is far more efficient and less expensive to produce than it was just three years ago. Solar cells capture energy in the form of sunlight and provide it in the useful form of electricity, this is done currently at the rate of 11 - 18% efficiency. Solar cells can capture as much as 80% of the energy and provide it as electricity, and as you can see that is significant room to grow in a technology that is only now being leveraged.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:57 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,251 times
When the government makes a real commitment to it. For solar and hydro to be viable, they need subsidies so that prices can be driven down for the technology. Also, we need more private companies making a commitment to it as well instead of seeing it as an "alternative" it needs to be seen as the future. Until that happens, don't expect much to happen with it for a while.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:14 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
They will catch on when they are economically viable and can exist without government subsidies...

In other words decades down the road.

Hydro-electric cars? Many many decades from now if ever....

Old 05-08-2011, 04:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Solar is catching on now. Within the last 2 years, 113 out of the 440 homes in my area have gotten solar panels on their roof.

I'm with plwhit on hydro-electric cars. Is anyone even working on such a technology?

Old 05-08-2011, 04:55 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsite View Post
I've always read interesting articles on the current technology we have like solar powered homes and hydroelectric cars, but I don't see any serious effort to implement these new technologies in our everyday lives.

When will this technology become affordable and cheap to compete against he current coal and gas powered markets? Will it even be possible?
Solar power will become more viable as the technology increases energy conversion efficiencies but IMHO will never supplant large centralized power plants.

Hydoelectric power is essentially maxed out in this country already except for low head dam areas using new and smaller water turbine technology.

I've never heard of "hydroelectric cars" and I strive to stay current on science/technology issues.

Can you provide a link??????

Old 05-08-2011, 04:57 PM

326 posts, read 872,095 times
My guess is samsite was talking about hydrogen cars. Though in some places an electric car could arguably be considered a hydroelectric car

Old 05-08-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
My guess is samsite was talking about hydrogen cars. Though in some places an electric car could arguably be considered a hydroelectric car
To generate 80KW of power (the amount used by the nissan leaf), you need a micro hydroelectric generator. A micro hydroellectric generator requires a small river. I don't have access to a small river to power my house, how would I have access to one to power a mobile vehicle?

Old 05-08-2011, 05:26 PM

326 posts, read 872,095 times
^ If you live in Manitoba, most of your power is probably generated at hydroelectric facilities. If you then charge an electric car, in a somewhat convoluted manner you could consider that car powered by hydro.

Obviously that's not going to work everywhere, and as I already said I think samsite heard something about hydrogen cars and assumed it was related to hydroelectricity.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:31 PM

You're probably right, samsite may be confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology