Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 AM

12,260 posts, read 24,388,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I will live forever ,in the Spirit realm .
I do to some degree already, so the complete transition it would be little more than falling asleep to a very intense dream .
This human existence was never designed for space, nor travel through time.
Flesh is to frail and the forces that exist out side what we currently comprehend, are held at bay by laws ,which are a frail curtain sometimes breached .
Not every man will face eternity the same , Some have a living soul and some do not .
Not that they do not have a soul, but it is dormant like a seed that has never seen sunlight, water, or fertilization , it shrivels and decays against it's own existence.
There are those that are not even Christian that believe in the soul and even out of body travel and so much so even the government has a significant investment in it. Astro projection I think is what they call it. or "something" ?? "viewers"
Any way there is more to this life than the flesh , which is really quite frail . so I bank on the eternal in the spirit realm .
My goal is to live in this world/ universe "forever" although nothing stays the same and soon I will be transhuman as I transcend my current biology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 10:29 AM

7,291 posts, read 6,875,744 times
What I witness in my dream state is the lives of others, likely on the same wave length like a radio signal. Though their event may be a bit or greatly traumatic ,my life is not normally, though I have had my share of them in the past.

It looks first person, but after a while I realize that it's not me ,nor is it any where i am familiar with, nor have I ever been.
Not much is ever spoken, but every event is different .
I tend to think that we are more connected than we would like to believe, at least some of us .

Old 11-01-2015, 11:16 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,504,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
What I witness in my dream state is the lives of others, likely on the same wave length like a radio signal. Though their event may be a bit or greatly traumatic ,my life is not normally, though I have had my share of them in the past.

It looks first person, but after a while I realize that it's not me ,nor is it any where i am familiar with, nor have I ever been.
Not much is ever spoken, but every event is different .
I tend to think that we are more connected than we would like to believe, at least some of us .
I've had plenty of dreams in which I'm another person - some of them have been quite movie-like. I've also had dreams of events happening to me, in the future, and then having the future event happen, and it's pure deja-vu.

One of the coolest dreams I've had was visiting my hometown in the future, but an alternate one based on what I envisioned the future to look like as a kid - all sorts of buildings and plazas built in the concrete-heavy Brutalist style. It was a real "retro future" utopia. I wanna have that dream again - it was one of the most awesome sights I'd seen.

Getting back on topic - with me turning 49 on Tuesday (but I feel like 27, honest!), I've probably already missed the boat on being able to "outrun" my death via tech. But that's okay. Really. Why should I miss out on what every single person in human history (so far, I mean) has done?

Old 11-01-2015, 11:31 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,504,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
My goal is to live in this world/ universe "forever" although nothing stays the same and soon I will be transhuman as I transcend my current biology.
I'm curious - have you, or are you planning to write a book on your plans and experiences? It'd be fascinating reading.

One idea I have to write a SF novel would be set in the sort of future you're imagining, but with a definite dystopian bent. It'd be a world in which the masses are consigned to dull, mundane lives packed in super-dense cities (much like modern-day China) while a lucky few get to enjoy virtually infinite wealth and all the benefits of advanced tech, including longevity treatments, biological engineering (meaning kids would grow up tall, healthy and super-intelligent), and complete segregation from the masses. It's not a future I want to see, but it very could happen, based on current trends. I'd much rather see a future in which the world only has a 100 million people who all live like kings than one with 50 million living like kings and 7 or 8 billion living like paupers, but I don't see how we could get our population down to such a degree without some sort of horrific cataclysm. Maybe in a 1000 years we could get there...

Just food for thought...

Old 11-02-2015, 02:28 AM

34,252 posts, read 19,254,567 times
Living forever seems like a reasonable goal. We've certainly had stories about the fountain of youth, etc that show you aren't alone OP. You are however among the first to have a actual shot at it.

That being said, I can't help but be concerned that we will find out that life.....isn't that great of a thing. I mean if we divorce ourselves from our biological needs, I suspect a lot of the rest may feel pointless. Seeing something new? So what, we can simulate it perfectly. We will get jaded. Lose our drive, and become extinct. I wonder if thats the cause of the fermi paradox.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,369,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
yes, me too. my ambition is to be "last man standing"!
This is my biggest fear

Old 11-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'm curious - have you, or are you planning to write a book on your plans and experiences? It'd be fascinating reading.

One idea I have to write a SF novel would be set in the sort of future you're imagining, but with a definite dystopian bent. It'd be a world in which the masses are consigned to dull, mundane lives packed in super-dense cities (much like modern-day China) while a lucky few get to enjoy virtually infinite wealth and all the benefits of advanced tech, including longevity treatments, biological engineering (meaning kids would grow up tall, healthy and super-intelligent), and complete segregation from the masses. It's not a future I want to see, but it very could happen, based on current trends. I'd much rather see a future in which the world only has a 100 million people who all live like kings than one with 50 million living like kings and 7 or 8 billion living like paupers, but I don't see how we could get our population down to such a degree without some sort of horrific cataclysm. Maybe in a 1000 years we could get there...

Just food for thought...
The funny thing is I have been told by more then one person I should but I am not convinced my skills are good enough plus I only look at how information technology will advance not what life will be like in the future as I have no idea.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Living forever seems like a reasonable goal. We've certainly had stories about the fountain of youth, etc that show you aren't alone OP. You are however among the first to have a actual shot at it.
This is very true.

The 1960's was the first "modern" decade so I often think about what I would be like if I was 42 in 1965 instead of 2015. Knowing my personality I am 99% sure I would be going through a midlife crisis as I would be looking out the next 20 years when I would be 62 in 1985. Instead today when I look out 20 years to 2035 I know we will have reverse aging and I will be transhuman so life is just getting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
That being said, I can't help but be concerned that we will find out that life.....isn't that great of a thing. I mean if we divorce ourselves from our biological needs, I suspect a lot of the rest may feel pointless. Seeing something new? So what, we can simulate it perfectly. We will get jaded. Lose our drive, and become extinct. I wonder if thats the cause of the fermi paradox.
Life will not be perfect ever and if anyone thinks that is where we are headed to they are in for a rude shock. That being said I want to be alive to see what we find knowing I will have new challenges to overcome that today I can't even imagine.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:48 PM

This would be huge news if its true. I need to do more research.

This year, the FDA green lighted an audacious proposal that seeks to test in 3,000 volunteers a drug that — based on animal studies — could extend human lifespan by up to 40 percent and decrease chances of getting age-related diseases. The double-blind, multi-centered trial, Targeting Aging with Metformin (TAME), is the first that pushes aging as a bona fide disease — one that may eventually be tamed with drugs.

“We think this is a groundbreaking, perhaps paradigm-shifting trial,” said Dr. Steven Austad, scientific director of the American Federation for Aging Research (AFAR).

The link: Longer Life in a Pill May Already Be Available at Your Local Drug Store - Singularity HUB

Old 12-14-2015, 10:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,223,133 times
its clear to me that living forever and keeping the earth home to trillions of people would be possible in the future by backing up our minds to 'retirement' communities that exist in the cloud so that we can shed our bodies that might be degraded or diseased.

we would be available for family visits, free to continue our life's work, and collaborate with other retired people either alive or backed up to the cloud.

we wouldnt need food or resources to keep going and even contributing to society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology