Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 02:51 PM

326 posts, read 181,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
If life was static and I did noting different for trillions of years then yes I would get bored. However life is anything but static as there is whole universe to explore and more then likely multiple universes. How could you see everything even if you live forever?

True. I guess from that point of view living forever does sound interesting. But I know living forever is impossible so I wouldn't count that happening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 03:31 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Checker View Post
True. I guess from that point of view living forever does sound interesting. But I know living forever is impossible so I wouldn't count that happening
I know it sounds impossible today but living forever is a bride to a bridge to a bridge starting with the biotech revolution in 4 years.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:11 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Then I started studying what is coming in the next few decades with the biotech revolution with things like crispr then the nanotech revolution followed by the technological singularity.
I work in the arena of Genetics in the Biotech world, and I will repeat that your quest to live forever is still a dream on sister, that's not likely to ever reach fruition. It astounds me that you appear to be obvilious to the world and the fact that mass extinctions are a natural Earth occurrence. Also our Sun will die and about the same time we Andromeda is going to collide with our Solar System. Also 99.9% of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct...there is no reason at all that our species will be immune to this.

I say live it up while your still here and come back to reality. We are only here for a blink of an eye.

BTW what is your understanding of CRISPR?

Quote:
Sure we saw amazing breakthroughs in the 20th century that changed life in ways people in 1916 would never have imagined but it's nothing compared to what we will see in the next 30 years. Why my goals have changed to what you see here.
Again there is nothing wrong with dreaming, but eventually reality is going to awaken you.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:08 PM

^

Living forever is not some magic pill or a fountain of youth its a bridge then making it to the next bridge etc.

Biotechnology is only the second bridge that will give us things like reverse aging. Crispr is part of it.
CRISPR 'gene editing' could lead to 'disease cure' - BBC News

The bridge after that is the nanotech revolution.

Google's chief futurist thinks we could start living forever by 2029 - Business Insider

Old 06-12-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
^
Living forever is not some magic pill or a fountain of youth its a bridge then making it to the next bridge etc.
A person living forever is in their current form as a whole human is not possible. End of conversation on that topic.

Quote:
Biotechnology is only the second bridge that will give us things like reverse aging. Crispr is part of it.
CRISPR 'gene editing' could lead to 'disease cure' - BBC News
I work in the field of Genetics in the Biotech industry. I did not ask you for links about CRISPR, I asked you what your understanding about it is.

Quote:
Can you define what you mean by making it the next "bridge"?

It amazes me when people who are not trained or educated in science, post as you are posting.

Nothing wrong if you want to dream on, but eventually, reality is going to knock you upside the head.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:10 PM

My goal is to become transhuman by 2030 so I will not be in my current form. I guess I am agreeing with you.

I could explain crispr but providing links is a much more accurate way to do it.

What does it mean by "making it to the next bridge"?

What I mean is it's not one pill and you will have reached your goal. You live to the next bridge and that lets you live to the next bridge then that allows you to live to the next bridge.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
My goal is to become transhuman by 2030 so I will not be in my current form. I guess I am agreeing with you.
Oh dear you miss understood me.

How do you plan on becoming trans-human?

CRISPR nor Biotech is not going to help you to become trans-human. In fact CRISPR is now being heavily regulated and discussed as I type this, because we don't know the impact of what it can do to natural human evolution. This is why people who are not formally educated in the sciences dream of the most bizarre things based on no real understanding of the science. I don't think you have a good understanding about CRISPR.

Quote:
Human germ-line modification

At least four labs in the US, labs in China and the UK, and by a US biotechnology company called Ovascience announced plans or ongoing research to apply CRISPR to human embryos.

It's not a good idea.

Scientists, including a CRISPR co-inventor, urged a worldwide moratorium on applying CRISPR to the human germ-line, especially for clinical use. They said "scientists should avoid even attempting, in lax jurisdictions, germ-line genome modification for clinical application in humans" until the full implications "are discussed among scientific and governmental organizations".

A prudent path forward for genomic engineering and germline gene modification

Don't Edit the Human germ line

*These scientists support basic research on CRISPR and do not see CRISPR as developed enough for any clinical use in making heritable changes to people.

In April 2015, Chinese scientists reported results of an attempt to alter the DNA of non-viable human embryos using CRISPR to correct a mutation that causes beta thalassemia, a lethal heritable disorder.

CRISPR/Cas9-mediated gene editing in human tripronuclear zygotes

Chinese Scientists Edit Genes of Human Embryos, raising concerns

The study had previously been rejected by both Nature and Science in part because of ethical concerns; the journals had no comment.

Chinese scientists genetically modify human embryos

The experiments resulted in changing only some genes, and had off-target effects on other genes. The researchers stated that CRISPR is not ready for clinical application in reproductive medicine."

In April 2016 Chinese scientists were reported to have made a second *unsuccessful* attempt to alter the DNA of non-viable human embryos using CRISPR - this time to alter the CCR5 gene to make the embryo HIV resistant.

Chinese fertility doctors have tried to make HIV-proof human embryos, but the experiments ended in a bust.

In December 2015, the International Summit on Human Gene Editing took place in Washington under the guidance of David Baltimore. Members of national scientific academies of America, Britain and China discussed the ethics of germ-line modification. They agreed to support basic and clinical research under appropriate legal and ethical guidelines.

A specific distinction was made between clinical use in somatic cells, where the effects of edits are limited to a single individual, versus germ-line cells, where genome changes could be inherited by future generations. This could have unintended and far-reaching and potentially damaging consequences for human evolution, genetically (e.g. gene/environment interactions) and culturally (e.g. Social Darwinism).

Altering of gametocytes and embryos to generate inheritable changes in humans was thus claimed irresponsible. In addition, they agreed to initiate an international forum to address such concerns and harmonize regulations countries.

On Human Gene Editing:International Summit Statement

In February 2016, British scientists were given permission by regulators to genetically modify human embryos by using CRISPR-Cas9 and related techniques. The embryos were to be destroyed after seven days.

Scientists get 'gene editing' go-ahead

Britain approves controversial gene-editing experiments
CRISPR

Quote:
I could explain crispr but providing links is a much more accurate way to do it.
Hopefully you will have a much better understanding of it after reading all of the credible links I provided. Just click on the blue highlighted titles and it takes you to the papers and scientific reviews and news articles.

Quote:
What does it mean by "making it to the next bridge"?

What I mean is it's not one pill and you will have reached your goal. You live to the next bridge and that lets you live to the next bridge then that allows you to live to the next bridge.
Explain to me how you live to the next bridge and so on and so fourth.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:47 AM

1) how do I plan on becoming transhuman?

Two ways. First I want to use the coming biotech revolution to reverse age so biologically speaking I am in my 20's again. Secondly I want to use the coming nanotech revolution to actually merge with the tech. Both of those will make me transhuman as I will have transcended my biology.

2) how will I live bridge to bridge to bridge?

I only know the next few.

Currently we are in life 1.0. Since life 2.0 or the biotech revolution starts in 2020, only 4 years away, and I am 43 I don't have to do much. I exercise every day and watch what I eat. That should get me there.

Then once life 2.0 starts I all use the biotech revolution to reverse age so biologically speaking I am in my 20's and medical science will use it to cure many diseases. That should get me to life 3.0 or the nanotech revolution and my current long term goal.

Once I ge here I should be transhuman and that should be enough to get me to life 4.0 or the technological singularity around 2045. At that point all the models break down so I will have to wait till I reach this to make any long term plans post singularity.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
1) how do I plan on becoming transhuman?

Two ways. First I want to use the coming biotech revolution to reverse age so biologically speaking I am in my 20's again. Secondly I want to use the coming nanotech revolution to actually merge with the tech. Both of those will make me transhuman as I will have transcended my biology.
There is no coming revolution occurring in nanotech, this technology has been around since the 1980's. Same can be said about biotech...this industry has been around since the 1980's. New discoveries are being made all the time but there is no coming revolution. You non-science folks are hilarious and quite delusional.
Quote:
2) how will I live bridge to bridge to bridge?

I only know the next few.

Currently we are in life 1.0. Since life 2.0 or the biotech revolution starts in 2020, only 4 years away, and I am 43 I don't have to do much. I exercise every day and watch what I eat. That should get me there.
Where are you getting this information from? BTW did you just skip over all of the CRISPR information I posted so that you can update your inaccurate dream on?
Quote:
Then once life 2.0 starts I all use the biotech revolution to reverse age so biologically speaking I am in my 20's and medical science will use it to cure many diseases. That should get me to life 3.0 or the nanotech revolution and my current long term goal.
Again where are you getting your information from?
Quote:
Once I ge here I should be transhuman and that should be enough to get me to life 4.0 or the technological singularity around 2045. At that point all the models break down so I will have to wait till I reach this to make any long term plans post singularity.
Dream on is all I can say. I don't know if you are serious or just playing dream on games.

Again I encourage you to read every single link I posted about CRISPR. You are very misinformed about it.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
There is no coming revolution occurring in nanotech, this technology has been around since the 1980's. Same can be said about biotech...this industry has been around since the 1980's. New discoveries are being made all the time but there is no coming revolution. You non-science folks are hilarious and quite delusional. Where are you getting this information from?

There are a lot of sources but this is just one of them that I really like.

FYI Life 2.0 refers to the biotech revolution and life 3.0 refers to the nanotech revolution.

Two major paradigm shifts will take place before the Singularity, a first one around 2019-2020, and the other around 2029-2030.

Life will change so much at each of these stages that I like to refer to them as the transformations toward Human Life 2.0 and Human Life 3.0, respectively. The Singularity, which could happen any time during the 2040’s, will mark the shift to Human Life 4.0. This timeline stops at 2030 as it is too difficult to predict the rate of change after that.

The link: Your life is going to change faster than ever before - h+ Mediah+ Media

Another good source is a book called The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil.

This is a fun video on life 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
BTW did you just skip over all of the CRISPR information I posted so that you can update your inaccurate dream on?
Again where are you getting your information from? Dream on is all I can say. I don't know if you are serious or just playing dream on games.

Again I encourage you to read every single link I posted about CRISPR. You are very misinformed about it
Its all over the internet just google search it. Here is one example:

Scientists may soon be able to 'cut and paste' DNA to cure deadly diseases and design perfect babies

How CRISPR will revolutionize biology - Business Insider

One last fun video on being transhuman since I said its my goal by 2030 and how I will live forever.

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-13-2016 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology