Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 01:20 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Report to Harry Mudd.
Star Trek LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 08:41 PM

So it looks like my pup will be able to reverse age before me. This is good as he will need it sooner that way he and I can live for a very long time or "forever".

Forever Young? There's Officially An Anti-Aging Pill For Dogs

To that end, it seems that an anti-aging substance may have been found, but not in the way you might expect. A cancer treatment drug for humans has been shown to reverse the signs of aging in dogs, monkeys, and mice, and may one day be key for finding an anti-aging solution for humans.

The link: Forever Young? There's Officially An Anti-Aging Pill For Dogs

Old 10-18-2016, 11:00 AM

This shows how computers will help is live "forever".

Dr House goes digital as IBM’s Watson diagnoses rare diseases

The link: https://www.newscientist.com/article...ime=1476768153

Old 11-17-2016, 12:47 PM

This is yet another example of why I tell people I will never get old!

DNA-editing breakthrough could fix 'broken genes' in the brain, delay ageing and cure incurable diseases.

‘The possible applications of this discovery are vast,’ scientist says

The link: DNA-editing breakthrough could fix 'broken genes' in the brain, delay ageing and cure incurable diseases | The Independent

Old 12-15-2016, 04:12 PM

Default Scientists reverse ageing in mammals and predict human trials within 10 years

More evidence that I will get my wish of being able to reverse age by the time I am 50 in 2023 or at the very least shortly after well before I am 60.

An end to grey hair and crows-feet could be just 10 years away after scientists showed it is possible to reverse ageing in animals. Using a new technique which takes adult cells back to their embryonic form, US researchers at the Salk Institute in California, showed it was possible to reverse ageing in mice, allowing the animals to not only look younger, but live for 30 per cent longer. The technique involves stimulating four genes which are particularly active during development in the womb. It was also found to work to turn the clock back on human skin cells in the lab, making them look and behave younger.

(There is a video in the link)

The link: Scientists reverse ageing in mammals and predict human trials within 10 years

Old 12-19-2016, 10:27 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
More evidence that I will get my wish of being able to reverse age by the time I am 50 in 2023 or at the very least shortly after well before I am 60.

An end to grey hair and crows-feet could be just 10 years away after scientists showed it is possible to reverse ageing in animals. Using a new technique which takes adult cells back to their embryonic form, US researchers at the Salk Institute in California, showed it was possible to reverse ageing in mice, allowing the animals to not only look younger, but live for 30 per cent longer. The technique involves stimulating four genes which are particularly active during development in the womb. It was also found to work to turn the clock back on human skin cells in the lab, making them look and behave younger.

(There is a video in the link)

The link: Scientists reverse ageing in mammals and predict human trials within 10 years
this is promising. Like many here, I'm faced with the reality of mortality as I enter my 4th decade of life. I want to see what my son, his sons, their daughters and their children accomplish. I want to help guide them when necessary. And most of all, I want to see where science and exploration leads humanity. I can't fathom that in 40-60 years it's lights out for me - POOF! (I'm not a spiritual man)

I have no faith in any of the brain/computer interfaces as I do not believe consciousness can be duplicated by technology. Consciousness is comprised of a myriad of biological factors that simply cannot be replicated by algorithms. My faith is in biological science to repair my worn out cells, cure my diseases, and bolster my brain function.

Sadly, I am too familiar with the realities of humanity and do not believe immortality or hyper -age will come to pass - our planet, culture, society, and ECONOMY cannot support an infinite population. Our governments and world orders wont allow it.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:13 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Just looking around at this country alone and how far it's gone down in decades, living forever seems like an absolutely horrible idea! The trend is not good at all. Besides, why try to cheat nature and the rest of life and species on Earth? You really have to think humans are the ultimate creature in the galaxy or something to deserve that.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
this is promising. Like many here, I'm faced with the reality of mortality as I enter my 4th decade of life. I want to see what my son, his sons, their daughters and their children accomplish. I want to help guide them when necessary. And most of all, I want to see where science and exploration leads humanity. I can't fathom that in 40-60 years it's lights out for me - POOF! (I'm not a spiritual man)

I have no faith in any of the brain/computer interfaces as I do not believe consciousness can be duplicated by technology. Consciousness is comprised of a myriad of biological factors that simply cannot be replicated by algorithms. My faith is in biological science to repair my worn out cells, cure my diseases, and bolster my brain function.

Sadly, I am too familiar with the realities of humanity and do not believe immortality or hyper -age will come to pass - our planet, culture, society, and ECONOMY cannot support an infinite population. Our governments and world orders wont allow it.
There is more then enough resources and room for 80 years of population growth and well before that we will be leaving the planet in the solar system then beyond. Just look how much real estate we have in our solar system alone. I know I plan on leaving this planet when its technically possible and safe to live on other planets. I really want to spend a few decades on Pluto as that sounds cool.

I am 43 and with how information technology is advancing exponentially I tell people 2 things:

1) I will never get old.

2) If I can make it 20-30 more years I will never die.

We are currently in the bio tech revolution or life 2.0. This video will give you a idea of what is coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPzVxTgzf3g

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-20-2016 at 04:28 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Just looking around at this country alone and how far it's gone down in decades, living forever seems like an absolutely horrible idea! The trend is not good at all. Besides, why try to cheat nature and the rest of life and species on Earth? You really have to think humans are the ultimate creature in the galaxy or something to deserve that.
I am not sure what you are talking about. My life today with smartphones, VR, 64 inch curved 3D TV, 3D movies, partially driverless cars etc was a science fiction movie just 30 years ago in 1986 and that is nothing compared to the advances we will see in the next 30 by 2046. In fact we will see more advancement in the next 14 years then we will in all of human history till now.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-20-2016 at 04:49 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 07:05 AM

One of the things i talk about is our coming ablity to turn off the so called fat gene. This will happen by 2020 according to Ray Kurzweil and will help me not only stay thin but live longer. Now medical evidence of that ablity is coming out and i am excuted!

Thanks to a Novel Protein, We Could Bring an End to Obesity

The link: https://futurism.com/thanks-to-a-nov...nd-to-obesity/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology