Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:37 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times

Advertisements

This will help and i want it ASAP!

Deletion of single enzyme stops mice getting fat, no matter the diet

A compelling study from a team of researchers at the University of Copenhagen has demonstrated a way to completely stop a body's ability to store fat. In experiments with mice, the team showed that genetically deleting a single enzyme resulted in the animal not being able to gain weight, even when fed a fatty diet.

The link: https://newatlas.com/obesity-enzyme-...yPwhcC4kkOjuPw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 06:53 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
While I previously mentioned being enamored with the idea of immortality, I neglected to take into account several critical factors.

What would you do when the Sun becomes a white dwarf?

What would you do when the universe undergoes a Big Freeze/Rip? Would you be left wandering in outer space for eternity?

Old 12-06-2019, 10:40 PM

I am still arguing by 2030 we will have reverse aging but either way you know its close and main stream when 60 Minutes does a story.

Leading geneticist says reversing the aging process in humans could be 20 years away

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/leading...rAIFuRnk0PXXFg

Old 12-06-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
While I previously mentioned being enamored with the idea of immortality, I neglected to take into account several critical factors.

What would you do when the universe undergoes a Big Freeze/Rip? Would you be left wandering in outer space for eternity?
One problem at a time. We have lots of time to come up with solutions for those problems.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:36 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

When the sun becomes a white dwarf, there's a good chance Jupiter will still be there, orbiting the white dwarf. From what I've read, that white dwarf will still have about half its mass, so planets could still orbit it. We could move to one of its moons.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:39 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
I guess we would be like the Q from Star Trek maybe just mess around with the known/unknown universe/Multiverse and mess around with dimensional and interdimensional beings just for some laughs Who knows

Last edited by GTOlover; 12-13-2019 at 05:53 AM..

Old 12-16-2019, 03:57 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Something we ultimately always seem to ignore is that we die so we can live. A new generation every 20-25 years lead to an extremely adaptable species's thus far. Death before 100 is an incentive to maximize efficiency while not providing too much competition for resources those that matter the most the YOUTH. Unfortunately in the coming decades we will learn the hard way why living life dependent on medication for decades too long simply isn't worth it. Death is honorable as you're dying to make way for those who come after you. Also death makes us humble as a society as our ultimate death reminds us that doing things soley for ourselves is a complete waste as your hard work dies right along with you. With prolonged life we will definitely see increases in selfish behavior winch coincidentally drops dramatically as one ages due to the clarity that death provides.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:04 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Something we ultimately always seem to ignore is that we die so we can live. A new generation every 20-25 years lead to an extremely adaptable species's thus far. Death before 100 is an incentive to maximize efficiency while not providing too much competition for resources those that matter the most the YOUTH. Unfortunately in the coming decades we will learn the hard way why living life dependent on medication for decades too long simply isn't worth it. Death is honorable as you're dying to make way for those who come after you. Also death makes us humble as a society as our ultimate death reminds us that doing things soley for ourselves is a complete waste as your hard work dies right along with you. With prolonged life we will definitely see increases in selfish behavior winch coincidentally drops dramatically as one ages due to the clarity that death provides.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:50 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
When the sun becomes a white dwarf, there's a good chance Jupiter will still be there, orbiting the white dwarf. From what I've read, that white dwarf will still have about half its mass, so planets could still orbit it. We could move to one of its moons.
Now that you mentioned it, since I'm immortal, I might as well plunge into a gas giant.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:07 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The human species most likely will not be around much longer due to human activity that is well on it's way to destroying the balance this earth enjoyed before modern humans came along and wreaked havoc.

The OP clearly does not pay attention the the direction all life on this earth is heading thanks to the parasitic ways of the human species.

UN: Humans Put 1 Million Species at Risk of Extinction

Are they the ones force feeding Europe refugees trying to flood countries with fresh labor to prop up their social programs? If they are so concerned about humans impacting the environment, stop trying to increase the population by encouraging people to breed and force feeding countries with foreigners they don't necessarily want. The crisis of the future is going to be first world nations not being able to afford their entitlement programs as the baby boomers age and birth rates get lower.

Since 2010 the central banks have been bailing out the system by adding to their balance sheets, but this can't go on forever. The next recession could be checkmate.

https://www.kitco.com/commentaries/2...re-is-why.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology