U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 12:20 PM

5,264 posts, read 8,265,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Now that you mentioned it, since I'm immortal, I might as well plunge into a gas giant.
I'd suggest being selective with the gas giants, although diving into any of them wouldn't be a pleasant experience, unless you'd enjoy being flattened thinner than a sheet of onionskin paper. Although, in our solar system, two of them are called ice giants, they're still gas giants. That said, I'd recommend avoiding Uranus. It's orbit is bent over, it's very gassy, and it stinks. Keep in mind that just being immortal (you don't age, but you can be killed) isn't the same as true immortality (you don't age and nothing can kill you).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ord/545139002/
https://gizmodo.com/stinky-molecules...rts-1825467106
https://www.space.com/40374-uranus-c...tten-eggs.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 07:06 PM

3,055 posts, read 1,172,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'd suggest being selective with the gas giants, although diving into any of them wouldn't be a pleasant experience, unless you'd enjoy being flattened thinner than a sheet of onionskin paper. Although, in our solar system, two of them are called ice giants, they're still gas giants. That said, I'd recommend avoiding Uranus. It's orbit is bent over, it's very gassy, and it stinks. Keep in mind that just being immortal (you don't age, but you can be killed) isn't the same as true immortality (you don't age and nothing can kill you).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ord/545139002/
https://gizmodo.com/stinky-molecules...rts-1825467106
https://www.space.com/40374-uranus-c...tten-eggs.html
You know, I was actually wondering whether immortal meant the same thing in scientific terms as it does in pop culture. In the latter, invincible is used to describe a being that cannot be harmed.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:43 PM

5,264 posts, read 8,265,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
You know, I was actually wondering whether immortal meant the same thing in scientific terms as it does in pop culture. In the latter, invincible is used to describe a being that cannot be harmed.
Right, being invincible means you'd have super resistance to harmful effects that would kill anyone else. Sort of like Superman isn't fazed by bullets, a direct bomb blast, a speeding train, you wouldn't drown, you could swim in magma or a dive into the Sun unscathed. But just because you can survive catastrophic events, doesn't mean you'll have an extended lifespan. You'd die of old age.

I did a bit of hunting on the words. Here's my understanding:

-- Immortality means you wouldn't age, but you could die. As long as you're reasonably healthy, and can avoid accidents or diseases, you could live indefinitely. For example, if you had a terrible accident and lost your head or took a bullet to the brain, it's game over. Get hit by a 5-ton block of concrete dropped on you, it'd completely crush you. You're dead. Step out into space without a suit, you'll be listed as deceased in the Vital Statistics. You could probably even kill yourself if you chose to do so. You're immortal, not invincible.

-- Invincibility means nothing external can harm or kill you, except you'll still age. Bullets would bounce off you harmlessly, but when the timer of your body clock is up, your lifespan is over. You'd be invincible, not immortal. Exactly how long you would live, I have no idea. Probably just a typical lifespan. Microbes, viruses, and diseases, might adapt and evolve in your body to become invincible and happily continue gnawing away at you though. We know that there are viruses, and bacteria that adapt to medications to become so-called super-strains that are resistant to such medications. If you still experience cell division, the telomeres will still shrink with each division until they can no longer divide. In the end, the Grim Reaper would eventually be paying you a visit.

-- True Immortality (as I understand it) would mean you'd essentially have the best of both -- invincibility and immortality. Nothing would harm you and you'd never age, and could live forever, foiling the plans of the Grim Reaper. Although I suspect if you dove into Jupiter, you'd survive, but might be stuck at the core indefinitely. Unlike Superman, you wouldn't be able to fly out of the planet. But, hey. you'd still be alive. On the other hand, all you'd have to do is wait it out until the planet fades out of existence. I mean living forever would have its benefits. A few billion years is meaningless in comparison to an eternal lifespan. Even if the Universe fades away, you'll still be alive. Exactly where is unknown, perhaps a true vacuum or some multidimensional bulk space where anything that can pop in and out of existence will, maybe more Big Bangs forming new universes. Even if you had to wait for multiple googleplexes of time, no big deal compared to an infinite amount of time. Or maybe time doesn't exist in such a scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology