Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

The Aborigines are thus direct descendants of the first modern humans to leave Africa, without any genetic mixture from other races so far as can be seen at present. Their dark skin reflects an African origin and a migration and residence in latitudes near the equator, unlike Europeans and Asians whose ancestors gained the paler skin necessary for living in northern latitudes.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/sc...borigines.html

That makes them the closest cousins to the San people of sub-Saharan Africa and knocks another big chuck out of the racial classification of humans idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 02:34 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The Aborigines are thus direct descendants of the first modern humans to leave Africa, without any genetic mixture from other races so far as can be seen at present. Their dark skin reflects an African origin and a migration and residence in latitudes near the equator, unlike Europeans and Asians whose ancestors gained the paler skin necessary for living in northern latitudes.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/sc...borigines.html

That makes them the closest cousins to the San people of sub-Saharan Africa and knocks another big chuck out of the racial classification of humans idea.
I do not think skin tone is something that would indicate a DIRECT out of Africa to Austrailia scenerio without any admixture on the way. Indian people are clearly more realted to Europeans than Africans yet they have dark skin.

Regarding this statement: 'Their dark skin reflects an African origin and a migration and residence in latitudes near the equator, unlike Europeans and Asians whose ancestors gained the paler skin necessary for living in northern latitudes.'

I am not sure what his point is, is he suggesting that Euoropeans and Asians aquired their light skin prior to moving to these latitudes -- that does not makes sense. And is he suggesting that Europeans and Asians are not directly from Africa - does their light skin reflect a non African origin? All people have African Origin, as far as we now know, so his statement seems confusing.

If they are directly from Africa with no admixture - how do they explain their hair? Last I checked the tight curly hair of Africans is a dominate trait.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
One interesting point regarding genetic distance now that I think about it. Is it not interesting that the least genetic distance between groups is between Europeans and Africans yet the greatest visual distance between skin tone is between the same group.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I do not think skin tone is something that would indicate a DIRECT out of Africa to Austrailia scenerio without any admixture on the way. Indian people are clearly more realted to Europeans than Africans yet they have dark skin.
I'm sorry the NYT article sucked and I was too lazy to look back for the good one. The issue has nothing to do with race but rather the DNA samples from a 100 year old lock of hair.

http://www.sciencemediacentre.co.nz/...perts-respond/

Old 09-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I am not sure what his point is, is he suggesting that Euoropeans and Asians aquired their light skin prior to moving to these latitudes -- that does not makes sense.
You are right and it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology