Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,462,175 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the silly question but I am a computer disaster.

My grandson has a school project to do his family tree. He asked me for help and needs pictures of some extended relatives on his grandfather's side. I don;t have "real" pictures of most of the family. I do have their pictures on their Facebook pages. I can also ask them to e-mail me a current family picture so I can get them developed.

So..can this be done.
1. Is there a way to transfer someone else's Facebook picture onto my computer to develop? How?

If not

2. If they e-mail me an attachment with a picture, what is the process for me to get a real developed picture?

Thanks so much. My grandson has to have the project in next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,819,262 times
Getting the picture from Facebook might be as simple as copy/paste to your PC, but the quality might not be very good. Quite often web sites want a lower resolution than a good print would need. The only way to find out is to try.

Depending on the printers available to you you can print a picture about as good as you'd get from Walgreens or the like using special paper. This is just one example:

Inkjet Photo Paper Buying Guide | HP Digital Photography Center

From an email attachment you should be able to either print it yourself or take it to Walgreens or any place that does pictures and have them print it. They usually expect it to be in jpg format and on a USB drive. Check with them about what they want before going.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,153,321 times
My wife got outstanding copies at Office Depot with their top notch laser printers.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Thanks but it isn't working. I just tried to copy and paste a picture from FB...no go. I cannot get the picture to copy.

Then...how do I get it to my commuter? Just put it into a pictures folder?

I am good once a picture is in my picture folder that is on my computer...no trouble with a USB device. I just can't get pictures from my e-mail of FB over to my computer???

Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,207,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks but it isn't working. I just tried to copy and paste a picture from FB...no go. I cannot get the picture to copy.

I am good once a picture is in my picture folder that is on my computer...no trouble with a USB device. I just can't get pictures from my e-mail of FB over to my computer???
Use your right click mouse button. "Save as" that will put the picture on your computer.

Then it will be on your computer and you can print it out or attach it to an email or send it to a website that prints out pics and mails them to you (walmart does this).

I hope this helps.

20yrisnBranson

Old 10-06-2011, 07:03 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,289,660 times
Quote:

As 20years mentioned, just right-click on the picture and Save As...to where ever you want on your computer.

One thing to point out: computers use RGB to produce color on the screen, printing media uses a CMYK scheme. RGB adds color to the screen, while CMYK removes color on the page. It might not be that big of a deal for your sons project as I am sure the teacher, or students, will not care (or even notice), but RGB needs to be converted to CMYK prior to printing if you want the colors to match up. Otherwise your on-screen blues might turn out purples when the pic is printed. Or pink.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 AM

Thank you all very much. I got it with using save as. It's the simple things that make me happy

Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,819,262 times
Quote:
Thank you all very much. I got it with using save as. It's the simple things that make me happy
1 + 1 = 2

Did I get a smile?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,142,304 times
Have the photograph sent to you via email as an attachment. Specify the size and make sure they send the photograph at 300 dots per inch (dpi).

Save the photos to your desktop/computer.

Move the pictures to a USB thumb drive, burn them on a CD or whatever.

Take the thumb drive/CD whatever to the nearest drug/camera/big box and you're done.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,200,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Specify the size and make sure they send the photograph at 300 dots per inch (dpi).
Should be noted that DPI only makes a difference when you specify a physical size.

Example 1 - 249x276 @72 DPI

Example 2 - 249x276 @600 DPI

They are identical, DPI is meta information. A pixel has no physical size and the DPI is used to scale an image to a physical canvas. If you import these into a program like Word that uses a physical size for the canvas the second one will appear much smaller.

It's bit of complicated subject, the best bet is just have them send the original file and take it from there yourself. Chances are they will either reduce the pixel size making it less detailed or needlessly increase it creating a larger file with really no benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology