Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,931,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
They like people like you.
"They".

Quote:
Even Facebook wants to launch the facial recognition program on it's site. That made the news, too.
They launched that some time ago. So did Picasa. So did iPhoto.

Got news for you. If you step out in public, you are subject to facial recognition technologies.

Quote:
Sure. But that's just scare tactics to get you to lock your door or buy a house alarm. You're too smart to fall for that and leave your door wide open because you aren't falling for the sensationalism...
No - I lock my door. And I don't post material that I don't want shared. Don't be ridiculous.

Quote:
I've seen some of it that would make you snap your neck in disbelief of what it can actually do.
Part of taking it seriously means not fear mongering. And I doubt I'd be surprised, since I work with this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,930,921 times
One reason why i dont want ANY PICTURES OF ME ONLINE!!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,449,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Scare tactics and sensationalism at its finest.

BREAKING NEWS: One front door can burglarize your home!
Unfortunately, I can't rep you till I "spread the love"

Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Unfortunately, I can't rep you till I "spread the love"
Thanks.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,660,754 times
To each their own. There are those who aren't going to be concerned in the slightest and others who are. Those who don't care are going to do whatever they feel like doing anyway.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,249,938 times
Quote:
Did you watch the video? It's about posting your picture online. Posting here isn't the same. You can register for a forum like this with a pseudonym.
And you don't think they can find out who you are???

I remember seeing a crime show on TV awhile ago, a killer sent the cops a cropped map image of where the body was buried...

Cops turned the image over to the FBI who determined it came from MS Virtual Earth. FBI contacted MS, to make a long story short they caught the killer.

So you don't post your pic online, but someone posts some pics of the office Christmas party that you attended or your friends post pics of their kids birthday party where you were a guest...

*GOTCHA*

You want privacy?

~ move out in the middle of nowhere
~ Stay off-grid
~ No cell phone/iPad etc.
~ No Internet access
~ Grow your own food
~ Have no contact with anyone, period.
~ make sure your home is not identifiable in any spectrum from a satellite image
~ Hope your mother gave birth to you away from civilization so you were never registered with the government

Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,660,754 times
This isn't about panic or paranoia. It's simply about knowing what the latest methods are and what you can do to better protect yourself. Knowing about it beats not knowing.

This thread was ONLY about this particular facial recognition software that has the potential to bring up personally identifying and private information about you that identity thieves can take and make your life miserable.

The naysayers are trying to make their point by talking about extremes, which has nothing to do with the actual subject of the post. It's not about house protection or not being seen by satellites. This was simply meant as an informative thread to bring awareness about this possibility. If you don't care about it, fine. Do the adult thing and move on to something that interests you. Why do people resort to being snide instead of saying something like, "Interesting. What people won't try these days. I'm not concerned about it personally and doubt it's a serious threat but, who knows?"

Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
talking about extremes
Like saying your identity can be hacked with a photo.

Quote:
Why do people resort to being snide instead of saying something like, "Interesting. What people won't try these days. I'm not concerned about it personally and doubt it's a serious threat but, who knows?"
It's a sensationalist news story. We're criticizing it for the laughably bad piece of fear-mongering it is. If you take that as a personal attack, perhaps you shouldn't post sensationalist stories in the future.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 AM

5,540 posts, read 7,140,708 times
I post my photo all the time, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:21 PM

16,600 posts, read 19,824,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
And you don't think they can find out who you are???

I remember seeing a crime show on TV awhile ago, a killer sent the cops a cropped map image of where the body was buried...
O yea. I saw that episode of CSI: MIAMI too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology