Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 PM

297 posts, read 899,357 times

Advertisements

Here is a bundle of questions I've been conjuring up during my stay at the SC11 Supercomputing conference this year (SC11)

1) Why is there a saying that "we won't be able to enter the era of exascale computing just by adding more and more Xeons"? Why do we need the GPU/Accelerator architecture to achieve what we want?

2) Why can't compilers automatically map high-level code to new architectures? For instance, instead of having to learn CUDA to reprogram all your applications to run in massive parallel on nvidia GPUs, why not just write in C, and let the compiler researchers do the job of developing a compiler that will conveniently parallelize the program for you? Maybe that was a bad example, and if anyone wants to provide their own, that's certainly welcome

3) What makes a good compiler a good compiler?

4) How does High Performance Computing affect the economy, and why is there such a big drive (especially between the three countries China, Japan, and the USA) to create marginally faster supercomputers over each other year after year?

5) What draws the line between a 'supercomputer' and a 'cluster', or is there not really a distinction?

Any other personal thoughts or ruminations to add on top of these are certainly welcome. Gracias in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,004 times
I can answer 5.

The line between a cluster and SC is usually defined by size or how they are put togther. A cluster is networking computer resources together to act as one entity much like a SC. For example, if I were to network a couple of PS3s together or several desktops, I would have a nice little cluster going for me. With SC, you may have many resources [memoary, storage, ram] in one unit tied to other such units which all act as one one computer.

Make any sense?

As far as compilers, I wish I could answer this, but admittedly, I was never good at compilers, so I would like to know this too.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
For #2 - I can think of a few reasons compilers will have trouble with your issue.

- the compiler needs to know the architecture of the intended environment.
- the compiler needs to recognize at compile time that in some scenarios 8 threads might be slower than 4 for example.
- some things aren't known until run time.

It is just a whole bunch of code to write.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,004 times
Just curious, these questions wouldn't happen to be for an operating systems class?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM

297 posts, read 899,357 times
Well, these question *stem* from me being in an operating systems class (and other cs classes too), but it's in no way a homework set, or problem sheet, or whatever.

I am hoping, though, that the answers to these questions would give me a better background, and a bigger-picture image, of what I've been learning so far. Also, I was at the supercomputing conference, and there's so many presentations/lectures that I wish I had more knowledge of before going in!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
4 would likely be related to military value and economic advantage, which is superseding overt military action in positioning of countries on the world stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology