Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
He was more about desire, determination, and incredible ingenuity. Plus he had something a lot of young people don't have today...

A work ethic.
I guess that was after his trip to India where he experimented on LSD and other drugs and basically was a wandering hobo for the better part of a year...

Yeah ... work ethic ... right ...

He did have work ethic after he found his calling though. Before, he was a savant idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 PM

252 posts, read 732,538 times
Jobs integrated the machinery with art.........by being a rude, callous jerk to the people who were bumbling and cranking out computers, he guided the industrial style and the packaging in a way that it became worthy. 'he' is 'why' our desks seem like the exponential change that is happening.

His weirdo, hissy fits spawned the marketing of sleek equipment as opposed to......well, kind of like Walter Gropius. Imagine the refrigerator, in your kitchen, and the refrigerator Great-Grandma had, in the 1950's....with rounded edges and a loud humming sound. He just went from 0 to 2000, much faster than the evolution of industrial design throughout the 20th century.

Art rules.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No.....none of that. He knew what people wanted and knew how to get people to build it. Big secret of management. You don't need to know how to do everything, you just need to inspire people who do know how, to do it for you.
Well, he also - particularly during Apple's renaissance, when he was brought back on as CEO - had the cojones to tell the investor market that "maximizing shareholder value" wasn't high on the agenda. Apple was run with an eye to building cool stuff that people wanted, rather than fudging the next quarterly statement to play to the speculators.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Bernie Madoff was just as talented as Jobs......
You need to ask for a refund on your education...

Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I never really understood what he did.
Compare say Hewlett-Packard with Apple. Management makes a big difference to outcomes.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
he drove down from SF on 101 to Xerox company, took a good look at their icon driven software and then began building apple products.
Xerox had it already but did not make much of a move on it.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
He was an idea man.
I get a bit tired of the Jobs worship. Great man, sure. Smart and intelligent, creative and imaginative.
Great qualitites for sure... but not exactly genius level.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
He was an idea man.
I get a bit tired of the Jobs worship. Great man, sure. Smart and intelligent, creative and imaginative.
Great qualitites for sure... but not exactly genius level.
A great man? Hardly. Most knew him to be a real jerk (this is a family forum or I"d use the more common descriptive term for him). He may have been creative and detail oriented, but he was a Grade A you-know-what.

Here, this article can give you a better idea about Steve.
(Be warned, there is some foul language in the article...mostly in Steve's quotes)

Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
A great man? Hardly. Most knew him to be a real jerk (this is a family forum or I"d use the more common descriptive term for him). He may have been creative and detail oriented, but he was a Grade A you-know-what.
It's like with art - it's not uncommon that a man's work is much, much greater than the man himself. (Or woman, of course.)

Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 PM

252 posts, read 732,538 times
Default Arts and Science, graduate thereof...

I'm just sayin'.....Jobs accomplished a transition.

And, I want to say two other things:

"A genius is one whose 'original' idea is still important, 500 years from now." --?

and, "Art, sans science, is flaky; science, sans art, is mere survival."

I'm guessing that, 500 years hence, some will be talking about the aesthetics of the ancient, turn of the 21st century equipment. Otherwise, they would be discussing the arrogance of 'too big a leap,' into mass marketing . And, just like Jobs' cherished taste for the Eames chair, MOMA(or, whatever the amalgamation of 'whoever' and 'us' uses, in 500 years) will still exhibit Apple as fine art.

And, further, ....some others, and Michelangelo, were reputed to be less than personable.

Ok, OK.........I'm outa' here. You can have your thread back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology