Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times

Advertisements

Whew!

Now that we have it out on the table that males learn computer terminology faster than females IYO can we close the thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
plwhit, I'm beginning to see why you got banished. Stop being a jerk. This person is asking for help.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,809,121 times
I see the ''Nice guy'' thread asked almost everyday on relationship forums and it still gets answered (though some people are getting annoyed already). IMO the threads that should be closed are repetitive ones that has been asked on a daily basis.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
plwhit, I'm beginning to see why you got banished. Stop being a jerk. This person is asking for help.
I furnished the person with a book, with search techniques but this attitude that males have this innate ability to understand "computations" better than females is offensive....

When was the last time you heard a person constantly referring to their "male cousin"?

You don't think a person in college knows the difference between "computation" and "computer" especially when they excel in math and English?

Tell me Tek, how can a person who excels in math need help with computations?

I also suggested this person seek help especially since they cannot pass the driver's ed range exam.

Something traumatic must have occurred in their past to create this mental block they have with technological issues and professional help might be more help to them than the book PC's for Dummies.

Go back and reread the OP with a heart instead of Intel Inside and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by plwhit; 01-30-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM

297 posts, read 725,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
...It's mandatory for me to be computer literate for my career so I got no choice.
Not in MY book!

Everybody is good at something.

I am good at computers and electronics, but terrible at playing piano or learning a foreign language! I just CAN'T do it!

And my hobby was computers and electronics - I would do that for fun. And I did that as a career. I had fun working!

I would be miserable with a career which required me to play the piano or use foreign languages. I would hate everyday of work!

With that said, what do you do for fun or a hobby? Are there jobs doing that? And even if the jobs are lower income, I would rater make less money and be poor, but be happy everyday showing up for work!

With that said, there are different places in the country you can live. Some have a very low cost of living. So if what you like to do does not pay well, maybe there is somewhere you could live and get along just fine?

Something to think about...

Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 PM

23,563 posts, read 70,158,065 times
I learned long ago that IQ tests and the like mean little or nothing. People have strong suits and weak suits. The challenge is developing the weak suit. I'll say flat out that when I started doing linear programming, my thought processes changed. You tell me what you want a computer to be able to do and chances are I'll be able to make it do it. I STILL can't do calculus. I don't revel in my non-ability to do calculus, and although I'm pleased to be able to have some skills, I recognize that they aren't everything.

To directly answer the OP question, some teachers couldn't teach their way out of a toilet. To be able to teach, you have to know what you want to teach AND know how the student can best understand or receive that knowledge. There is a song in "A Chorus Line" that sums it up quite succinctly.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Logical? It's like the invention of a genius who wants me to get lost in the process.

I bet in 10-20 years from now, it's going to become even more complicated with new commands and/or programs.
Were you actually a computer user back in the 80s and 90s? I'm not old, but I can remember how the average computer user back in 1991 had to be more literate with programming language - i.e. they had to understand the hardware and software infrastructure of their machine to a greater degree. Installing programs, let alone operating systems, used to be such a chore. Now everything is automated. I can only see this trend continuing.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
What's your career, might I ask? It could just be your career requires you to have more technical knowledge of computing to operate more complex applications.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM

119 posts, read 226,150 times
Quote:
The good news is I'm learning it but at a SLOW pace (ex: now I know how to make presentation using powerpoint as well as unstalling programs I don't need anymore or other complicated things) but till this day that can be a challenge for me.

I'm learning but it's taking me time to grasp those complicated terms and applications. It's mandatory for me to be computer literate for my career so I got no choice.
Everything a computer does is extremely logical and extremely literal, it does exactly what it's told. The ability to quickly grasp technical concepts frequently relies upon you being able to think extremely logically. Experience in the field also helps,

I got started just playing around with the family PC, I'd break it and then it was "oh crap gotta fix this before the parents get home and I get in big trouble!" Now that I'm going back to school to get the paper on the wall that goes with the experience, I realize that it's much easier for some people than for others to grasp the concepts. Last night a large chunk of the class period was spent explaining batch processing to a student who was having an extremely hard time grasping the concept.

If you have to study harder to pass the class for your career then study harder and get through it, I'm terrible at math, so I have to study harder to get through that. People are different in how they learn and process information.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,809,121 times
Default I'm back.... was studying for finals before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What's your career, might I ask? It could just be your career requires you to have more technical knowledge of computing to operate more complex applications.
My career is Turism and Travel Management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology