Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

WOW!! Predictions on what the future may hold is........ astounding!!

FuturistSpeaker.com – A Study of Future Trends and Predictions by Futurist Thomas Frey » Blog Archive » 2 Billion Jobs to Disappear by 2030
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Looks like the more they change the more they change...

Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times
How are driverless cars going to eliminate fedex/ups delivery jobs? Still need someone to actually deliver the package.

As far as these predictions, well, people also said mainframes would be extinct by now, they are still alive and well.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Decades ago it was predicted we would be buzzing around in "transportation on demand" pods that were self-driving. Vehicles may become self-driving but we will still have our own cars.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:22 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
And just how is the autonomous car going to deliver my Domino's pizza?

These futurists always sound so good yet most of their idea's never seem to make it past the podium speaking stage.

I like this comment
Quote:
Both companies have asked me to keep quiet about their technology until they are a bit farther along
Man have I heard that crap before...

Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 AM

119 posts, read 226,543 times
Let's just poke some holes in the very first one, I didn't read all of it because quite frankly when the first "list" is ridiculous I lose interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Frey
Jobs Going Away
  • Power generation plants will begin to close down.
  • Coal plants will begin to close down.
  • Many railroad and transportation workers will no longer be needed.
  • Even wind farms, natural gas, and bio-fuel generators will begin to close down.
  • Ethanol plants will be phased out or repurposed.
  • Utility company engineers, gone.
  • Line repairmen, gone.
New Jobs Created
  • Manufacturing power generation units the size of ac units will go into full production.
  • Installation crews will begin to work around the clock.
  • The entire national grid will need to be taken down (a 20 year project). Much of it will be recycled and the recycling process alone will employ many thousands of people.
  • Micro-grid operations will open in every community requiring a new breed of engineers, managers, and regulators.
  • Many more.
OK, he says that the power plants will close down, but there will be manufacturing jobs created to make these "power generation units". We all know those jobs will be in China. However EVERYTHING that we make will break eventually. So not only will we need the installation crews, but we'll need maintenance. Ever try and get a new modem from your ISP? Now what if you were out of power for that weekend instead of just out of internet access? Let alone the fact that he seems to assume everything will be instantaneous, one day you'll wake up and there will be someone to tear out your power lines and plug in a magic box for you.

Coal plants will close down, ok sure no more coal power plants, I think he covered that already in "Power generation plants will begin to close down." Unless he means coal mines, sure coal value would go down but go Wikipedia coal, there's other uses for the stuff. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a major blow, but it wouldn't completely eliminate the need for coal.

Railroads and transportation workers would still be needed to ship these magic power units from the ports (arriving fresh from China) to everyone else. Again I'm sure there would be a decline but it wouldn't be the end of it all.

Wind farms, natural gas, bio-fuel will be around for a long time to come, there's too many people that are all about the "renewable eco friendly" stuff. Bio-fuel being used in cars, natural gas for heating (takes a LOOOOOT of electricity to replace that kind of heat with 100% reliability. I know, I live in Alaska).

Ethanol can be used a a high octane fuel, and as Wikipedia states "The largest single use of ethanol is as a motor fuel and fuel additive." Not to mention that Ethanol is in not only the adult beverages in your refrigerator but in your hand sanitizer at home/work/everywhere you go. It's also useful as a solvent, you can find it in paints, markers, deodorant, perfume, etc. Again go Wikipedia it, it's kinda neat stuff (and downright tasty too!)

Utility company engineers, I'm not 100% sure what he's talking about here, not gonna lie, but if your job title includes "engineer" I'm sure you're smart enough to figure out how to fit in to the new system and still make big bucks.

Line repairmen, there's no power lines at all? So you're going to have this magic box that's going to spit out alllllllll the power you could ever want right next to your house? I'd want that sucker on the other end of the property myself. So there's still gonna be some lines, and he does mention recycling the current grid, they can be doing that for the next 20 years. They can also put their high voltage electrical experience to good use in making and maintaining the connection between your house and this magic box.

Just a few things that really stand out to me as glaring errors in the speculation, let's also not forget that once upon a time Thomas Watson (CEO of IBM from 1874 to 1956) said "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers"

NOTE: There is some discrepancy in this quote's authenticity, but I've seen it quoted in many books, magazines, and articles. SOMEONE said it at some time, or something similar to it. Here's a few others from Wikipedia for grins.

"I went to see Professor Douglas Hartree, who had built the first differential analyzers in England and had more experience in using these very specialized computers than anyone else. He told me that, in his opinion, all the calculations that would ever be needed in this country could be done on the three digital computers which were then being built—one in Cambridge, one in Teddington, and one in Manchester. No one else, he said, would ever need machines of their own, or would be able to afford to buy them.[17]"

"Originally one thought that if there were a half dozen large computers in this country, hidden away in research laboratories, this would take care of all requirements we had throughout the country.[18][19]" -Howard H. Aiken (Ph.D. Physics from Harvard, conceptual designer of IBM's Harvard Mark 1 Computer)

My point being that people eminently qualified in the field on which they are speaking can make wild speculations that prove completely ridiculous in retrospect. Science fiction also told us we'd have flying cars and robots to warn us of danger 12 or more years ago.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
I remember when I was about 15(about 15 years ago) they said everyone would be flying around in george jetson flying cars.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times
I'm still waiting for my hoverboard.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
And just how is the autonomous car going to deliver my Domino's pizza?

These futurists always sound so good yet most of their idea's never seem to make it past the podium speaking stage.

I like this comment

Man have I heard that crap before...
well you could just come outside to get it, but I think its going to cause
huge deflation in wages of delivery drivers of UPS and Fedex. Now UPS has to higher licensed CDL drivers at about 50-75,000 a year with self driving cars they could probably just hire any dope with two arms and two legs for deliveries for 8 bucks an hour.

I ve seen live demostrations of googles self driving cars in a college town.
They are pretty impressive, the biggest hurdle to self driving cars is going to be the legal ramifications of who is blamed when an accident occurs will the automaker and software company be blamed or the owner of the car.

if the software company is liable than you are going to have a hard time finding investors for such programs.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:43 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Might be more than one pizza delivery. People would have to go on the honor system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology