Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times

Advertisements

I thought I had this taken care of !!! Similar instance with the garage door (Craftsman) last year and had a repair guy out.

Scenario: Battery low in remote control. No problem, just change it. But no!! Checked online, said I had to re-program. Okay, did that last time a year ago. What happened was ending up erasing everything - keyless entry pad - and both remotes. Then when we would try to "re-program", either one remote would work and the other wouldn't or vice versa. Never could get them to both work together. Hence, the repair call.

I have read the manual ad nauseum. Did what it said to do, and STILL can't get it to re-program. "Press the learn button briefly, if held too long will erase all codes, and then press and hold the remote you want to program with the garage door closed."

What am I missing here?? Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Model number of the opener and remotes?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Craftsman Garage Door Opener, model # 139.53664SRT2, and the accompanying remote whose tag is worn, can't read the numbers. Thank you!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
It is usually simple to reprogram them. Your manual seems to state the normal procedure: Press the learn button on the garage door opener (some have a light that blinks or the light bulb in the opener will blink when it goes into program mode). Then press the garage door opener button and either the light will blink or the door will open. If the procedure doesn't work after several tries, most likely the remote has gone bad. Most garage door remotes are the same so you can buy one at lowes, home depot, sears or a garage door retailer. You might do a search online for your model opener and see what frequency remotes work with it.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 PM

^^Thanks. After more internet research, seems like the issue is not unusual. It's not the remote itself, but something to do with 2 different types of coding running at the same time. One is billions or something and the other is something else. Whatever it is causes the codes to cancel out each other on either remote. I so don't want to have a service call!!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 AM

If that is the case, maybe try buying two brand new remotes that are the same coding or perhaps one that matches one of the ones you already have. I haven't looked but you may can buy them in pairs. I might would do the reset procedure on the opener by holding the button for about 10 secs or whatever your model requires, and just start fresh with programming the remotes.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I thought I had this taken care of !!! Similar instance with the garage door (Craftsman) last year and had a repair guy out.

Scenario: Battery low in remote control. No problem, just change it. But no!! Checked online, said I had to re-program. Okay, did that last time a year ago. What happened was ending up erasing everything - keyless entry pad - and both remotes. Then when we would try to "re-program", either one remote would work and the other wouldn't or vice versa. Never could get them to both work together. Hence, the repair call.

I have read the manual ad nauseum. Did what it said to do, and STILL can't get it to re-program. "Press the learn button briefly, if held too long will erase all codes, and then press and hold the remote you want to program with the garage door closed."

What am I missing here?? Thanks!!!!!
Best to call the manufacturer and have them guide you through it.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Best to call the manufacturer and have them guide you through it.
If you don't mind being on hold for 20 to 45 minutes and then attempting to understand someone located in India who speaks broken English.

Its not rocket science folks, its just pushing some buttons in the proper sequence.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Think I'm gonna buy a new one...see what happens.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:23 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
If you don't mind being on hold for 20 to 45 minutes and then attempting to understand someone located in India who speaks broken English.

Its not rocket science folks, its just pushing some buttons in the proper sequence.
And flying an airplane is just pushing on a yoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology