Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times

Advertisements

DARPA Wants to Give Soldiers Robot Surrogates, Avatar Style - IEEE Spectrum

I know this will upset alot of military people, but seems pretty cool to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Better yet, a drone that has the power of "Puff The Magic Dragon" and is controlled by the ground troops that are in combat.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
DARPA Wants to Give Soldiers Robot Surrogates, Avatar Style - IEEE Spectrum

I know this will upset alot of military people, but seems pretty cool to me!

Why would it upset military people? I would think it was the exact opposite...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why would it upset military people? I would think it was the exact opposite...
many want to be in the "action"

I did a thread a while back about pilots being replaced by drones, and you wouldn't believe the anger.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
many want to be in the "action"

I did a thread a while back about pilots being replaced by drones, and you wouldn't believe the anger.
So your understanding of aircraft pilot anger is from a thread you started here on C-D reading the replies of MS Flight Simulator jocks?

Awesome, and you assume because of those responses our combat troops will have the same attitude

So if you found out your job was being replaced by an AI you wouldn't have any animosity?

You are truly to be commended, normal people wouldn't react that way.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So your understanding of aircraft pilot anger is from a thread you started here on C-D reading the replies of MS Flight Simulator jocks?

Awesome, and you assume because of those responses our combat troops will have the same attitude

So if you found out your job was being replaced by an AI you wouldn't have any animosity?

You are truly to be commended, normal people wouldn't react that way.
way to read into more than i say!

reactions came from actual pilots/military people, and they said they spoke for other pilots. So, based on what they said, i made my assumption.

And I have had more than one job be replaced by a computer, and it bites, but that is the price of progress.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
be that as it may

1. war is not glorious, it is sad and dirty. no one hates it more than the soldier, ask Winston Churchill. so soldiers would be glad if a surrogate could accurately replace them on the ground. Key is accurately. So if soldiers don't jump on this thing you mentioned it would more than likely because of fears about accuracy not the thing itself.

2. Army has been trying this very thing with Future Combat System. FCS has been cancelled or scaled back but some aspects of the robotics and sensors have application to unmanned land combat. we are just not quite there yet, not to say the day won't come....

Still is as interesting as can be. always have to have boots on the ground, but a little help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology