Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times

Advertisements

The scientists claimed the gas increased the purity of the stem cells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
So then bad breath can be beneficial for the purity of stem cells, even though you might not find many dates. Will we be seeing a new trend in the number of people with the reeking fragrance of dragon breath saying, "My breath might stink, but I've got great stem cells"? Apart from relieving internal pressure, I wonder if flatuence helps purify stem cells? It contains the same noxious gas.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
lol

Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM

It kind of got my attention due to the fact that my sister-in-law had to have a liver transplant. She has to take a lot of pills, along with wearing a mask because her immune system is compromised. In effect, she has two livers -- the top part being from the guy who got killed in an accident and the bottom being her original liver. I wondered if there was a way to "glue" the two livers together, somehow, so the two were "fused."

It's probably just some fanciful thoughts, signifying nothing...

Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
It kind of got my attention due to the fact that my sister-in-law had to have a liver transplant. She has to take a lot of pills, along with wearing a mask because her immune system is compromised. In effect, she has two livers -- the top part being from the guy who got killed in an accident and the bottom being her original liver. I wondered if there was a way to "glue" the two livers together, somehow, so the two were "fused."

It's probably just some fanciful thoughts, signifying nothing...
Sorry. I couldn't resist a bit of humor earlier. It's not necessarily a fanciful thought. It is possible it could lead to a viable and perhaps eventually a standard form of treatment. As yet, it hasn't been demonstrated as useful for humans although it has been tested with mice and looks promising.

I'm not sure about fusing two livers together, in effect to create a single liver, but stem cells can be used to make new liver tissue, I presume that to mean repairing or replacing the damaged tissue. As far as I can tell, it's still in the experimental stage with animals.

Embyronic stem cells have been promising because they're cleaner, but of course that ran into a snag of because of a lack of federal funding for research in the US, possibly due to social pressure regarding the ethics of embyonic stem cells even though there was no federal law against it. Still, if research is hindered by it, it slows down any advancement toward treatment. Things changed in 2011, although a number of states still restrict or prohibit it. If the method as cited in the OP proves to be reliable, it would certainly be a huge step forward in enabling the body to repair itself by the use of stem cell therapy with clean stem cells, especially if those stem cells can be harvested from the patient's own body.
:: American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association, Inc ::

New stem cell method makes viable liver cells - Health - Cloning and stem cells - msnbc.com

Chronic liver disease: how could regenerative medicine help? | Europe's stem cell hub | EuroStemCell

Stem cell laws and policy in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some years back, Hawaiian singer Don Ho, suffered a serious heart problem. It was determined that stem cell therapy could help, but it was not allowed in the US. As a result, he traveled to Bangkok Thailand with his physician for the treatment. The stem cells were harvested from Don's own blood. The material was processed in Israel and shipped to Bangkok. He underwent the treatment which was successuful enough to prolong his life for another year or so.
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Science -- Israeli-Thai company uses adult stem cells in effort to heal failing hearts

USATODAY.com - Don Ho recovering from stem cell procedure

Don Ho receives stem cell treatment | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 PM

I was thinking in terms of having two substances so there might be a kind of transition between the two livers. That might be the only way for it to work.

BTW, before I came back to the board, I had already found that the articles was free, though I didn't read it. I just decided to write an email along with the information of the article, along with my thoughts. I doubt I'll hear back, though.

But, I do have an interest in stem cells, as well as many other subjects as you know.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I was thinking in terms of having two substances so there might be a kind of transition between the two livers. That might be the only way for it to work.

BTW, before I came back to the board, I had already found that the articles was free, though I didn't read it. I just decided to write an email along with the information of the article, along with my thoughts. I doubt I'll hear back, though.

But, I do have an interest in stem cells, as well as many other subjects as you know.
I'm not sure I understand "two substances". Do you mean two kinds of stem cell treatment?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'm not sure I understand "two substances". Do you mean two kinds of stem cell treatment?
Yeah, that's kind of what I had in mind. Think of it as an alloy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology