Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 04:02 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
Quote from the link:

These materials could eventually enable processing speeds between 500 and 1,000 times faster than the current average laptop computer, while using less energy.

So according to them, it will use less energy. Now there is a lot of new tech out there, one example:
MIT Reports 400 GHz Graphene Transistor Possible With 'Negative Resistance' - Slashdot

In labs they can usually make transistors and such run at blazing speed (400+GHz transistors exist since several years for example) but moving it to production is not always 'possible' because of cost-efficiency or it might demand crazy setups like removing a lot of heat or very cold temperatures.

We'll see which one will actually make it to the foundry process and be integrated in a chip
Or perhaps none of the above, at least for a while.

Both heat dissipation and error rates must be controlled.

All of the articles include terms like "possible", "may be able to", "hoping to develop", etc.

Which is to say, so far it's based on speculation rather than observed performances alone.

Speculation is fun, to be sure, but I'm not going to hold my breath yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 04:37 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,451,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Or perhaps none of the above, at least for a while.

Both heat dissipation and error rates must be controlled.

All of the articles include terms like "possible", "may be able to", "hoping to develop", etc.

Which is to say, so far it's based on speculation rather than observed performances alone.

Speculation is fun, to be sure, but I'm not going to hold my breath yet.
I do not see any sign of computers slowing down as they are advancing faster and faster. Now if that changes sure all the projections will be off but I just do not see that happening. The world in 2020 will be a different world then the one we live in today then watch out because the 2020's will be fantastic.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I do not see any sign of computers slowing down as they are advancing faster and faster. Now if that changes sure all the projections will be off but I just do not see that happening. The world in 2020 will be a different world then the one we live in today then watch out because the 2020's will be fantastic.
I've already explained to you why I don't agree, so I don't see a need to repeat it.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I've already explained to you why I don't agree, so I don't see a need to repeat it.
The thing is time is on my side as everything I have read about since 2009 is happening. Now the big advancement is to wearable tech and the impact it will have exactly when I had read it will. I hope we are still posting at 2020 because by then this will be a different world.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The thing is time is on my side as everything I have read about since 2009 is happening. Now the big advancement is to wearable tech and the impact it will have exactly when I had read it will. I hope we are still posting at 2020 because by then this will be a different world.
Of course the data support you, if you cherry pick by pointing to everything that improves while conveniently ignoring everything that has been flat for 10+ years.

The fact is, as I explained to you before, some things have improved exponentially, and others have been flat (I gave examples in that earlier post).

You seem to prefer to cherry pick. I, on the other hand, try to keep the entire picture in view. I simply say, "We don't know".

Old 09-21-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Of course the data support you, if you cherry pick by pointing to everything that improves while conveniently ignoring everything that has been flat for 10+ years.

The fact is, as I explained to you before, some things have improved exponentially, and others have been flat (I gave examples in that earlier post).

You seem to prefer to cherry pick. I, on the other hand, try to keep the entire picture in view. I simply say, "We don't know".
I don't cherry pick. The fact that I am typing this on a smart phone when we did not even have them when I started grad school and now the trend is to wearable tech when back in 2009 most people said what you say now about merging with computers as to how it won't happen is proof that computers are advancing exponentially. Now smart phones and even wearable tech is common and people like you are saying well ya but it will stop here and we won't merge with them. However in the 2020's we will start to really merge with computers and by 2030 it will be normal.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I don't cherry pick. The fact that I am typing this on a smart phone when we did not even have them when I started grad school and now the trend is to wearable tech when back in 2009 most people said what you say now about merging with computers as to how it won't happen is proof that computers are advancing exponentially. Now smart phones and even wearable tech is common and people like you are saying well ya but it will stop here and we won't merge with them. However in the 2020's we will start to really merge with computers and by 2030 it will be normal.
In the earlier post (post #1360) , I gave you three examples of technology parameters that have been flat for 10+ years.

Why are you using your smart phone as your example, and not something else? Why do you never point to anything that has been flat?

It seems to me like you choose your examples based on where you see the improvement, and not based on what is most relevant to the specific things you are predicting.

But by only using examples that show rapid advancement, and never drawing on examples of those which have remained flat, your choice of data is selective.

Hence, you are cherry picking.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:42 AM

So how do you explain the trend to smart phones and now wearable tech in less then 10 years?

Old 09-21-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
So how do you explain the trend to smart phones and now wearable tech in less then 10 years?
How do you explain the things that have stayed the same, or even gotten worse, eg. transistor single-operation bitwise error rates since 1995, which have not decreased?

Easy: Some things improve, while others don't.

Very profound, I know...

Old 09-21-2014, 11:54 AM

Maybe not everything advances but as a whole computers have and will continue to advance exponentially. Why I am typing on a smart phone today and in the next 6 I will have wearable tech and in the 2020's I will merge with computers. That is all I am saying in a nut shell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology