Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,666 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting article.

The Three Breakthroughs That Have Finally Unleashed AI on the World | WIRED

Here are a few quotes:

"As AIs develop, we might have to engineer ways toprevent consciousness in them—and our most premium AI services will likely be advertisedas consciousness-free."

"A cute example of this nonhuman thinking is acool stunt that was performed at the South by Southwest festival in Austin,Texas, in March of this year. IBM researchers overlaid Watson with a culinarydatabase comprising online recipes, USDA nutritional facts, and flavor researchon what makes compounds taste pleasant. From this pile of data, Watson dreamedup novel dishes based on flavor profiles and patterns from existing dishes, andwilling human chefs cooked them."

"An AI will think about food differently than anychef, allowing us to think about food differently. Or to think aboutmanufacturing materials differently. Or clothes. Or financial derivatives. Orany branch of science and art. The alienness of artificial intelligence willbecome more valuable to us than its speed or power."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 09:33 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,451,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
I also think that reverse ageing will come soon. I might be slightly more moderate about it though, say quite sure in 20 years, starting before with treatments like this one.

A shame the professor doesn't speak more about how they did it, usually people (who know what they are talking about) seems to think that tinkering with metabolism and selecting genes/gene expressions etc. might make the medium lifespan longer but not the maximum lifespan (which is around 120 years) and not really reverse old age.
So it comes off a bit, IMO, as a FoundRaiserBait...

Please tell me I'm wrong !

My bet goes with SENS even if they have a hard time to get that Roubust Mouse Rejuvenation, I bet it'll come in 5-10 years and then another 5-10 years for humans (maybe a bit more to make it cheap and mainstream).
I am not sure what company will be successful but because this is advancing exponentially it should happen in 5-10 years not 20 plus years.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
California-based biotech firm Organovo is set to begin selling 3-D-printed liver tissue by the end of the year.

3-D-printed organs are on the way - Nov. 4, 2014

This isn't intended for human use but for research but again, I bet that a functional liver is around the corner.
Again this should happen by the 2020's or the biotech revolution.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:13 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am not sure what company will be successful but because this is advancing exponentially it should happen in 5-10 years not 20 plus years.
To keep the discussion on an even keel, let's remember that the average person is not going to be able to take advantage of this technology. It will be so expensive that only the wealthy will be able to afford it. The great masses will never get it.

We are facing an over population problem of immense proportions now. Extending the lifespan of every person, or even 10% of the population will cause chaos.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:36 AM

141 posts, read 128,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
To keep the discussion on an even keel, let's remember that the average person is not going to be able to take advantage of this technology. It will be so expensive that only the wealthy will be able to afford it. The great masses will never get it.

We are facing an over population problem of immense proportions now. Extending the lifespan of every person, or even 10% of the population will cause chaos.
I'm truly interested in a discussion about this,
I mean sure if there would be the path of regrowing organs (and transplant them), complicated methods of personalized drugs from personalized statistics & big data and so on, yes you'd have to be rich to get it. How rich I don't know, maybe here in europe there will be a high enough pressure on governments that healthcare will include these treatments (here, usually, all expensive treatments are free).

If it is the SENS (for example) way, there would most probably be an inexpensive treatment 'for everyone'.
For example say a "protein" A.G.E breaker will cost money to develop but once found, you could synthesise it in your kitchen with <1000$ tools for virtually free so you'd be able to buy it for almost nothing.
Stem cell therapies is a bit different but their cost will plummet towards affordable for everyone too.

For the second thought about over over population, hopefully technology will solve this one too with, among others APM (Atomically Precise Manufacturing), free energy (solar), vertical farming etcetera.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Good ideas, but have you noticed how governments are acting? I hope you are right, but even with all the ways to produce more food and energy where are you going to put people? Shove them in huge megaplexes and wait for the next plague?

Can you imagine parts of Africa or the Middle East if the population doubles or triples?

Old 11-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:

I will admit at first it will be expensive but since we are talking information technology the price will come down and fast. Now I will admit that I am in the 1% so if I really want it I will be among the first. Some technologies I will do that others I will not. For example as soon as its safe to reverse age and turn off my fat gene I will do it even if its expensive. Things like AI and VR I will wait a bit till its better and lower cost.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM

141 posts, read 128,311 times
Quote:
Good ideas, but have you noticed how governments are acting? I hope you are right, but even with all the ways to produce more food and energy where are you going to put people? Shove them in huge megaplexes and wait for the next plague?

Can you imagine parts of Africa or the Middle East if the population doubles or triples?
This depends entirely where in the run up to the singularity you put the scenario.

If there will be Atomically Precise Manufacturing, then there will (most probably) be machines to remove CO2 from the air, free food etc. but what about housing? 3D printers are already trying to do crude houses, APM will make that with ease so you could live wherever.

Also why not mega cities, with 1000km/h subways and kilometer high towers would make a place big as Paris hold a billion people...

Not saying it will be easy, frictionless and so on but there seems not to be any physical or mathematical limits for long. Even if we were gets death cured, the world population would 'only' grow an additional ~50Million people per year and even when that starts to crop up, we'll have the whole galaxy to colonize

Old 11-06-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
This depends entirely where in the run up to the singularity you put the scenario.

If there will be Atomically Precise Manufacturing, then there will (most probably) be machines to remove CO2 from the air, free food etc. but what about housing? 3D printers are already trying to do crude houses, APM will make that with ease so you could live wherever.

Also why not mega cities, with 1000km/h subways and kilometer high towers would make a place big as Paris hold a billion people...

Not saying it will be easy, frictionless and so on but there seems not to be any physical or mathematical limits for long. Even if we were gets death cured, the world population would 'only' grow an additional ~50Million people per year and even when that starts to crop up, we'll have the whole galaxy to colonize
I often think about how will cities change after the singularity. Today in the USA cities grow by sprawl and more sprawl. Take Colorado and the front range urban corridor. From Colorado Springs to Denver to Fort Collins Loveland and Greeley its all sprawl and in my opinion ugly. My hope is Pueblo does not grow till after the singularity when there might be no need to sprawl out so we see more infill and better looking cities. How that would exactly work I am not sure.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,605,317 times
The Singularity is the answer to disease, aging...And ubran sprawl? .. When the mind and machine merge we'll no longer want large houses and big yards?

Seems like 'more room to move' would be at an even greater demand when a city like Paris can hold a billion people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology