Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 04:44 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times

Advertisements

The coming unemployment numbers kinda freaks me out a lil bit.

Some sort of monthly stipend/welfare really looks like the only answer. Which is hard to wrap your mind around.

If you really start to dig into mass automation... It'll be a whole new world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
This does not had to the fact a lot of factories and warehouse will be done by robots and not people.

With this unemployment will really go up.

With robots and drive less cars could put truckers out of work!!

Look what happen to Detroit when it lost all their factories and industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The coming unemployment numbers kinda freaks me out a lil bit.

Some sort of monthly stipend/welfare really looks like the only answer. Which is hard to wrap your mind around.

If you really start to dig into mass automation... It'll be a whole new world.
Why I support a basic income for some.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:47 PM

People have asked how will humans connect directly to the internet or computers. Well they are working on it now!

A human brain that speaks in binary? It could be a reality. DARPA is looking into creating an interface that can connect the human brain and modern technology seamlessly.

The link: US Scientists Developing Brain Implants That Can Connect Human Brain to Digital World

This is a good interview by Neil deGrasse with Ray Kurzweil.

Neil deGrasse Tyson and futurist Ray Kurzweil on what will happen to our brains

The link: Neil deGrasse Tyson and futurist Ray Kurzweil on what will happen to our brains | Business Insider

Computers are still advancing exponentially before we fully switch to the new paradigm of 3D chips.

IBM's crazy-thin 7nm chip will hold 20 billion transistors

Looks like Moore's Law has some life in it yet, though creating a 7nm chip required exotic techniques and materials.

The link: IBM's crazy-thin 7nm chip will hold 20 billion transistors | PCWorld

Old 02-05-2016, 04:29 AM

141 posts, read 128,394 times
About people thinking computers are far away from creativity,
as creativity and holistic thinking is needed to become a Go master:

Big Go champion beaten flat out by computer: Link

Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Default functional Intelligence Amplification

I have to wonder if, at an early date, a crude form of Intelligence Amplification/Intelliegence Augmentation (IA) will be cobbled together.

I'm thinking this may be possible before fully reverse engineering the brain, or developing a pure form of Artificial Intelligence (AI). That is, if you could functional enhance someone intellectually, without having to solve other problems/issue first.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 03-02-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I have to wonder if, at an early date, a crude form of Intelligence Amplification/Intelliegence Augmentation (IA) will be cobbled together.

I'm thinking this may be possible before fully reverse engineering the brain, or developing a pure form of Artificial Intelligence (AI). That is, if you could functional enhance someone intellectually, without having to solve other problems/issue first.
Look to reverse engineer the brain by 2020-2023. I do think you will see AI continue to get better in the next 5-10 years.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:14 AM

This is really interesting and should mean even faster computing speeds in the future.

The ‘holy grail’ of lasers: Breakthrough could replace wires with light in ultrafast computer chips Researchers have found a way to grow practical laser on silicon substrateThe laser can operate for up to 100,000 hours at temperatures almost 250 F
This allows for ultrafast communication in computer chips and electronics.

Read more: Breakthrough could replace wires with light in ultrafast computer chips | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Old 04-23-2016, 04:59 PM

We are right on track to hit the biotech revolution or life 2.0 in 2020.

Breakthrough method means CRISPR just got a lot more relevant to human health

The link: Breakthrough method means CRISPR just got a lot more relevant to human health | The Verge

Old 05-19-2016, 05:05 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Look to reverse engineer the brain by 2020-2023. I do think you will see AI continue to get better in the next 5-10 years.
Isn't that project set up more to learn how to treat brain diseases and disorders? Although, looking at your other posts I'm glad to see you've stretched your predictions to a more realistic range of 15 years. As I've mentioned countless times before something proving successful in a lab doesn't mean that the next year it'll become available to the masses. Autonomous cars being an example we've had them since the 1980s (even precursors decades before) and yet it isn't until now nearly 40 years later (in 2019/2020 when they're slated for release)that we're going to be getting them.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:10 PM

243 posts, read 230,197 times
Well I don't take this "singularity" thing seriously at all because it's nothing more than a SciFi fantasy indulged in by a lot of hipster idiots who can't accept humanity as it really is. If they want to plug a computer into their brains and upload themselves then God speed and more power to them, but I'm pretty sure they will end up dead to no good end. Let us know how that works out, okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology