Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I will admit 5 years is optimistic. 5-10 years is more conservative. So while I would love to be able to reverse my aging process by the time I am 45 more then likely it will be before I am 50. That being said I will keep watching it because as soon as I can reverse my age, and turn off my fat gene, I am doing it. Even if its out of pocket expense.
This drug doesn't really sound like it will reverse aging, it merely prevents diseases thus it indirectly extends life. While that sounds good what's the point of life extension if you're not going to look young? They really need to find a way to restore people youthfulness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
The paper shows all of the 117 drugs tested work on the single enzyme through a common mechanism. This means that a whole new class of anti-aging drugs is now viable, which could ultimately prevent cancer, Alzheimer's disease and type 2 diabetes.

This creates a whole new class of drugs that can be used for anti-aging. I will go conservative and say in 5-10 years the possibilities this has to not only reverse aging but allow us to look young are endless. This is why people like Ray Kurzweil and Verner Vinge predict that by 2024 reverse aging will be common place. Now I do think for the people who can afford the drugs it will be sooner. Possibly in the next 5 years.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
It is a very interesting theory, and seems like there could very possibly be a huge conflict between those who want things to stay more traditional, and those who want human-like, or even god-like AI. Hugo de Garis whose designing a computer brain for China wrote an interesting article about what he calls the "Artilect War".
The Coming Artilect War - Forbes.com
You guys ever read Future Timeline | Technology | Singularity | 2020 | 2050 | 2100 | 2150 | 2200 | 21st century | 22nd century | 23rd century | Humanity | Predictions | Events?
Very interesting site that has predictions by year, going far, far into the future. A lot of their predictions can seem questionable, a lot of them conflict with Kurzweil's predictions, and I tend to agree with Kurzweil on a lot. Apparently in 2015 scientists will bring back the Wooly Mammoth and we can go see them in zoos, and they could bring back other extinct species such as the sabretooth tiger. Also in 2015 3d printers will become more mainstream and commercially affordable and we can print things like jewelry out. Though according to that site it won't be till the late 22nd century, about 2090 if I recall, that we have full blown matter replicators, as seen on Star Trek, that can take cheap raw material and rearrange the necessary molecules to create all manner of consumer products, food, clothes, etc in your own home. It almost seems like they set that too far away, that's something it'd be cool to live to see.
Actually it seems my memory was a bit off, I recently re-read Hyperion and the problems between the human faction that allied itself with the Technocore and those who did not were not as peaceful as I remembered. I won't go into much detail in case someone here wants to read the novel. What I will say is that the human faction that disagreed with the Technocore doing everything for man wanted to evolve and grow on their own creativity.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Excellent point Canaan!
I've been meaning to ask you, but I keep forgetting. Considering you thought the information about the fermi paradox was interesting, do you believe in other alien civilizations? If so, do you believe in the disclosure stories of retired military officials who claim to have interacted with extraterrestrial beings?

If any of this were true, one thing to ponder is what happened with their singularity? These military officials and scientists who claim to have interacted with other beings claim their biological in nature, which seems odd considering how advanced they are you'd assume they would have reached singularity and merged with machines as Ray believes we will.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I've been meaning to ask you, but I keep forgetting. Considering you thought the information about the fermi paradox was interesting, do you believe in other alien civilizations? If so, do you believe in the disclosure stories of retired military officials who claim to have interacted with extraterrestrial beings?

If any of this were true, one thing to ponder is what happened with their singularity? These military officials and scientists who claim to have interacted with other beings claim their biological in nature, which seems odd considering how advanced they are you'd assume they would have reached singularity and merged with machines as Ray believes we will.
Do I think there is life in the galaxy or universe? Yes. Do I think they have visited Earth? I am not sold on that. Even if they have visited Earth and people have seen them merging with machines won't be like the Borg in start trek as computers will be the size of cells so maybe they are but it cant be seen? Honestly I think at this point all of this is guess work and we wont know for sure till we are a lot more advanced and past the singularity.

Assuming there is life out there one thing I would like to study down the road is was the human model of advancement "normal" or are we faster or slower then most advanced societies in becoming advanced? Most movies, including Star Trek, has us as being unique in that we developed so fast but I wonder if that is true or not.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
Quote:
Do I think there is life in the galaxy or universe? Yes. Do I think they have visited Earth? I am not sold on that. Even if they have visited Earth and people have seen them merging with machines won't be like the Borg in start trek as computers will be the size of cells so maybe they are but it cant be seen? Honestly I think at this point all of this is guess work and we wont know for sure till we are a lot more advanced and past the singularity.

Assuming there is life out there one thing I would like to study down the road is was the human model of advancement "normal" or are we faster or slower then most advanced societies in becoming advanced? Most movies, including Star Trek, has us as being unique in that we developed so fast but I wonder if that is true or not.
I am also curious.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I am also curious.
All I can say about our civilization is that, religion held us back for several centuries. The Romans, Greeks etc had achieved some impressive technological feats, but when Christianity came and made our ideals shift to our souls and bodies instead of materials everything that the pagans had devised were seen as evil and thus we were plunged into the dark ages.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
All I can say about our civilization is that, religion held us back for several centuries. The Romans, Greeks etc had achieved some impressive technological feats, but when Christianity came and made our ideals shift to our souls and bodies instead of materials everything that the pagans had devised were seen as evil and thus we were plunged into the dark ages.
Yeah…

Logic brings us forward in technology, but creates nihilism.

Mysticism calms our nerves, but holds back progress.

Revelry can tip the balance only so far.

It is a difficult balance to achieve.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
This is true for us. But what I want to know is that normal for most advanced societies or did they advance faster or slower.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
This is true for us. But what I want to know is that normal for most advanced societies or did they advance faster or slower.
Well, I would imagine that we are much slower than most other intelligent races. I wouldn't go so far as to say we're the slowest, but we are pretty low in the race results.

If we had just stuck to one philosophy, the singularity would have happened in 1250 AD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology