Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Things like that do not bother me because I have studied this enough and am secure with what I know and, also, understand how it looks to someone who has not really studied it like I have. I was there 5 years ago.

Just remember this conversation in about 15 years when we reach the singularity.
Yeah OK

You people are a dime a dozen with your future predictions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 11:19 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

You people are a dime a dozen with your future predictions....
The ironic thing is I thought the same thing you did about future predictions 5 years ago. Well I still do on anything other then information technology. In fact a lot of the future predictions I dismiss as most go beyond information technology and that is what no one can predict.

I guess what surprises me the most is we can see the paradigm shift today with how computers are becoming wearable. Do you really think its going to stop or slow down here?

Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Folks, keep it civil and on topic, please. Agree to disagree and move on, you're adults act like adults.
Yac.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM

I have posted about the current paradigm shift taking place with wearable computers. Well this is yet another example of that as they are now impacting hospitals and health care in a big way. Again this is now wait 10 years and the next paradigm shift in the medical community will be from wearable computers to computers inside our bodies. If you think wearable computers will change things you have seen nothing yet......

MOBILE MED-TECH REVOLUTION HITS HOSPITALS

The benefits of mobile technology in a healthcare setting have not, it’s safe to say, gone unnoticed. A throng of companies are trying to turn the smartphone into an assortment of medical devices, from blood pressure cuffs to otoscopes. Such devices offer patients a chance to keep up with chronic conditions and send data to their doctors on occasion.

But go to a hospital intensive care unit and what you’ll see are bulky machines not very different from what you saw on ER in the 1990s. The reasons are institutional: hospitals buy in bulk, and they can only buy devices that are precise and proven.

But mobile vital sign monitors are at last making inroads inside the hospital walls. Sotera Wireless’s ViSi mobile monitor, recently adopted by a San Diego hospital and a few other sites, takes the functions of those enormous beeping bedside machines and puts them in a smartphone-sized oval the patient wears on his or her wrist.

The link: Mobile Med-Tech Revolution Hits Hospitals | Singularity Hub

Old 11-08-2013, 01:49 PM

I post about how we will be able to manipulate genes so by 2023 we can do things like reverse age and turn off the fat gene. Plus help cure diseases like cancer and HIV. Well researchers have taken a huge step towards that and in fact this is being called a medical "breakthrough".

This is from the Independent:

A breakthrough in genetics – described as “jaw-dropping” by one Nobel scientist – has created intense excitement among DNA experts around the world who believe the discovery will transform their ability to edit the genomes of all living organisms, including humans.

The link: Indyplus video: Crispr technique - Science - News - The Independent

Old 11-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Exclamation Student dyson award winners build titan arm exoskeleton for just $2,000

I constantly post about how the singularity is when humans merge with computers. Price has always been a major factor in this and the price keeps coming down. The latest example of the price coming down has to do with the titan arm exoskeleton. Example like this are why I predict the singularity will occur by 2030.

Exoskeletons are fusing man and machine to reduce workplace injuries and restore freedom to the disabled or infirm—but they have yet to escape the lab, and worse, only a few folks could realistically afford one even if they did.

A group of University of Pennsylvania students hope their Titan Arm exoskeleton, winner of the 2013 James Dyson Award, might change that.

“Current exoskeletons are prohibitively expensive at more than $100,000,” the team notes, “Using lean principles, we created Titan for less than $2,000.”

The link: Student Dyson Award Winners Build Titan Arm Exoskeleton for Just $2,000 | Singularity Hub

Old 11-13-2013, 04:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Josseppie, as much as you've posted and know about this subject matter (singularity) you should seriously ponder about creating your own blog site out on the internet about it.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
Josseppie, as much as you've posted and know about this subject matter (singularity) you should seriously ponder about creating your own blog site out on the internet about it.
I have thought about but other then here have never really done a blog.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Exclamation Dna sequencing is moving to the cloud

One of the things that will allow us to live a long time (if not "forever") is genetic research. Well it has taken a major step forward with this advancement. From what I read I still stick to my date of 2023 when we will have extended life spans with reverse aging and the ability to turn off the fat gene.

As DNA sequencing has become more affordable and a more bustling area of medical research, more researchers have dived into questions that require lots of computer power to answer. The next step is obvious: Startups offering cloud services customized for genomic (or even “multi-omic”) research.

In October, an ambitious, collaborative genetic research program based at Baylor University became the largest such project to date, by its own account. As part of Cohorts for Heart and Aging Research in Genomic Epidemiology, or CHARGE, the sequencing endeavored to link the risk of particular diseases, with a specific focus on heart disease, with particular genetic variants — a task that checks off two variables that mean big data: population research and whole genome sequencing.

The link: DNA Sequencing Is Moving to the Cloud | Singularity Hub

Old 11-15-2013, 02:54 PM

Exclamation Quantum computing moves forward with new breakthrough

Some posters have talked about quantum computers and how they will help us get to and pass the singularity. Well when I saw this apparent breakthrough i wanted to post it here.

This is from DVICE:

Most scientists believe the next step in computing will be quantum computers. Quantum computers are fast: they are capable of working a million times faster than a standard PC. There are limitations to quantum computing, though, including issues with keeping a quantum state active at room temperature. (It’s only been previously done for around two seconds.) Recently, though, a team of international scientists smashed that record and created a quantum state that survived for a total of 39 minutes.

The link: Quantum computing moves forward with new breakthrough | DVICE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology