U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,543,092 times

Advertisements

This question may have been posed here before. If so, it was before my time.

I'm just wondering if any of you ever ask yourselves: Does the Universe have an end, like an outer wall? Of course we know that is a paradox and seemingly impossible to answer because what is beyond the outer wall?

Do these type of questions fascinate you, bore you, trouble you ?

Will the universe continue to expand forever? Or will it implode and go into some kind of reverse cycle and then start over again... and keep cycling in and out?

I wrote a poem about this concept once -- a sonnet called 'Bang-Bang'. I don't know if I still have it on my hard drive or printed out somewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,985,697 times
To be honest, we won't know till we get there. Since that will probably be in the way distant future I see no reason to worry about it.

Interesting subject though!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,488,288 times
The collapse upon itself theory is called the "Big Crunch", and though it's not completely out of the question, mainstream science thinks we're facing, instead, a "Big Freeze". Essentially, the thinking is that the universe will continue to expand until everything rips apart and there is, literally, nothingness existing at (or near) absolute zero.

Regardless, it's farther in the future than the big bang is in the past.

More info: Future of an expanding universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the link, DentalFloss. I look forward to checking it out.

Pamela, I've always been concerned with the possibilities of the future - I was apparently born that way :-) Not that it's particularly healthy for the mind.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM

8,720 posts, read 13,179,420 times
Heartsong,

Here is a recent program that aired on NOVA. This specific episode is on what we currently have learned about the expansion of the universe and its ultimate fate.

NOVA | The Fabric of the Cosmos

The topic is 45 minutes into the video. Just move your cursor to 45 minutes along the slider at the bottom of the video frame, at "chapter 5 - the expanding university." But if you can make the time, this is a great series to watch.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,985,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Thanks for the link, DentalFloss. I look forward to checking it out.

Pamela, I've always been concerned with the possibilities of the future - I was apparently born that way :-) Not that it's particularly healthy for the mind.
Me too.

In order to save what little sanity I have left after raising 5 kids, I try to limit such things to what may happen in my lifetime though.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,008,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
This question may have been posed here before. If so, it was before my time.

I'm just wondering if any of you ever ask yourselves: Does the Universe have an end, like an outer wall? Of course we know that is a paradox and seemingly impossible to answer because what is beyond the outer wall?

Do these type of questions fascinate you, bore you, trouble you ?

Will the universe continue to expand forever? Or will it implode and go into some kind of reverse cycle and then start over again... and keep cycling in and out?

I wrote a poem about this concept once -- a sonnet called 'Bang-Bang'. I don't know if I still have it on my hard drive or printed out somewhere.
I have wondered on many occasions if the Universe had an end and if it does, what's on the other side? I personally don't think that it has an end, it's never-ending and there's so much we don't know about it. Maybe someday but right now all we can do is sit and wonder and marvel at it's vastness and hope that it doesn't implode anytime soon.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 PM

460 posts, read 565,907 times
I like the "new" idea that part of our universe can "bubble" up and form a whole new universe.

Then, too, since we don't know a whloe lot about black holes, there is the fascinating idea that we are in a black hole, and black holes are mere entrances to other universes.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 24,047,442 times
Difficult though it is to comprehend, the Universe at its outer limit doesn't end in a wall, and there is no vacant space on the other side. There is no other side. To say there is nothing there is misleading. Space-time simply ends. There is no 'there'.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Heartsong,

Here is a recent program that aired on NOVA. This specific episode is on what we currently have learned about the expansion of the universe and its ultimate fate.

NOVA | The Fabric of the Cosmos

The topic is 45 minutes into the video. Just move your cursor to 45 minutes along the slider at the bottom of the video frame, at "chapter 5 - the expanding university." But if you can make the time, this is a great series to watch.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology