Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 01:45 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,097,106 times

Advertisements

The anterior insular cortex is a small brain region that plays a crucial role in human self-awareness and in related neuropsychiatric disorders. A unique cell type – the von Economo neuron (VEN) – is located there. For a long time, the VEN was assumed to be unique to humans, great apes, whales and elephants. Henry Evrard, neuroanatomist at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics in Tübingen, Germany, now discovered that the VEN occurs also in the insula of macaque monkeys. The morphology, size and distribution of the monkey VEN suggest that it is at least a primal anatomical homolog of the human VEN. This finding offers new and much-needed opportunities to examine in detail the connections and functions of a cell and brain region that could have a key role in human self-awareness and in mental disorders including autism and specific forms of dementia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,503,152 times
I wonder what the ''we're made from aliens'' crowd think when they read a story like this?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I wonder what the ''we're made from aliens'' crowd think when they read a story like this?
No telling...

Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,503,152 times
While i definitely do not believe in the outer space aliens or the old testament theories of human creation however i admit that i'm intrigued in that how a branch of the ape family some 2 million years ago morphed into Australopithicus to which morphed into a ''human'' homo habilis hence into homo ergaster hence homo erectus hence homo neanderthal and lastly to us ''sapiens'' hence further to ''super intellgent'' class of homo sapians (space exploration, biology, physics, chemistry, inventions etc.) and many other class of humans along the 2 million year timeline.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
While i definitely do not believe in the outer space aliens or the old testament theories of human creation however i admit that i'm intrigued in that how a branch of the ape family some 2 million years ago morphed into Australopithicus to which morphed into a ''human'' homo habilis hence into homo ergaster hence homo erectus hence homo neanderthal and lastly to us ''sapiens'' hence further to ''super intellgent'' class of homo sapians (space exploration, biology, physics, chemistry, inventions etc.) and many other class of humans along the 2 million year timeline.
I concur with that, minus the biblical stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology