U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,070 posts, read 9,714,961 times
Reputation: 1647

Advertisements

Rapid DNA sequencing may soon become a routine part of each individual’s medical record, providing enormous information previously sequestered in the human genome’s 3 billion nucleotide bases. This week’s NEWSFOCUS section of the journal Science describes recent advances in sequencing technology.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2012, 10:45 AM
 
13,136 posts, read 39,161,311 times
Reputation: 12280
This is cool stuff and i had my DNA analysed several months ago by 23andMe ($200) as it told me which diseases i'm 'possibly' suceptible too and which ones i'm likely not to suffer from on a genetic level according to their data bank and this will only get better in the future as more humans are analysed and as the technology advances.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,070 posts, read 9,714,961 times
Reputation: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
This is cool stuff and i had my DNA analysed several months ago by 23andMe ($200) as it told me which diseases i'm 'possibly' suceptible too and which ones i'm likely not to suffer from on a genetic level according to their data bank and this will only get better in the future as more humans are analysed and as the technology advances.
We were talking about getting DNA tests in connection to Ancestry.com. That would cost us a couple bills. I wonder if the one you got is the same one we were contemplating. BTY, I went to the site and noticed that there is a waiting list.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
 
13,136 posts, read 39,161,311 times
Reputation: 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
We were talking about getting DNA tests in connection to Ancestry.com. That would cost us a couple bills. I wonder if the one you got is the same one we were contemplating. BTY, I went to the site and noticed that there is a waiting list.
Nope 23andMe is a separate company than Ancestry.com. Who's better? I couldn't answer that however the reason i chose 23andMe was because i could get the Y-DNA, mtDNA and genetic disease profile all at the same place.

A waiting list ... is that at Ancestry or at 23andMe?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 PM
 
28,782 posts, read 45,065,566 times
Reputation: 37830
We've been considering this: All DNA tests - MyHeritage.com

$1360 for the full boat for both of us.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 PM
 
28,782 posts, read 45,065,566 times
Reputation: 37830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Nope 23andMe is a separate company than Ancestry.com. Who's better? I couldn't answer that however the reason i chose 23andMe was because i could get the Y-DNA, mtDNA and genetic disease profile all at the same place.

A waiting list ... is that at Ancestry or at 23andMe?
I can't figure out where they mention anything specific about the tests they do, Everything I find is generic. Is there a page (like the one I linked to above) that tells you exactly what you get?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
 
13,136 posts, read 39,161,311 times
Reputation: 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I can't figure out where they mention anything specific about the tests they do, Everything I find is generic. Is there a page (like the one I linked to above) that tells you exactly what you get?
I had that issue as well and so i e-mailed them and asked them what test(s) i would recieve for the amount that they charged to which when i recieved my e-mail back from them i was told both the Y-DNA (paternal) mtDNA (maternal) and the disease profile. I just went into my 23andMe account and i counted the total number of diseases that they profiled me for and that number is 117.

You also have a Carrier Status report that screens you for genetic diseases that may not effect you personally however that you could pass onto offspring e.g. muscular dystrophy or sickle cell anemia etc.

Thirdly they also have a Drug Response that tells you how you may affected good and/or badly by certain drugs and medications e.g. pain killers, anesthesia, blood thinners etc.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 02:49 PM
 
13,136 posts, read 39,161,311 times
Reputation: 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We've been considering this: All DNA tests - MyHeritage.com

$1360 for the full boat for both of us.
I'm unqualified to comment on that company as again i only chose 23andMe due to the disease profile as even though i've been a life long gym rat (weight lifter, basketball, raquetball) and ''mostly'' watch my diet however i'm in my 40's and so i'm at the age range where many of these degenerative diseases are lurking near as that's what attracted me mostly (besides they were offering price special back in march).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
 
28,782 posts, read 45,065,566 times
Reputation: 37830
Price wise they are the same for the same two tests except 23andMe gives the disease profile for the same price ($200). It would be interesting to know if they the more in depth testing as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,070 posts, read 9,714,961 times
Reputation: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We've been considering this: All DNA tests - MyHeritage.com

$1360 for the full boat for both of us.
Wow, that is very nice. I'd have to save up for that one.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top