U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 PM

15,400 posts, read 20,014,985 times

Advertisements

I never heard of this fascinating experiment conducted in the 1960's and again just recently.

Essentially a stranger administers a shock to another human being with every wrong answer to various questions with the voltage increasing as the number of errors increases.

Would you continue to administer a shock....even IF you knew it was hurting someone and they had heart problems....because some "authority figure" told you to?

Some folks did so past 400 Volts(household voltage is 120 volts).

FULLY 65% of the initial subjects were prepared to administer the most powerful shock(in the 1960's)

In the most recent experiment over 70% were willing to give the final, most powerful shock!

It does explain our society's continuing and increasing lack of empathy and lack of morals/good judgement.....versus any authority figures!

Milgram experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Milgram's Obedience to Authority Experiment 2009 1/3 - YouTube

Milgram's Obedience to Authority Experiment 2009, 2/3 - YouTube

Milgram's Obedience to Authority Experiment 2009, 3/3 - YouTube

Incredibly scary yet fascinating experiment and videos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:24 PM

18,766 posts, read 56,528,724 times
Part of Psych 101. Was not surprised in the least at the results back then, and I'm even less so with the increase over the years since 9/11. Ethically, we are in retrograde.

BTW, that experiment was one of the things that made me realize I was on the right track ALWAYS questioning authorities, and more importantly questioning the motives of questioners and media. There are a couple of other studies that go hand in hand with it. Fifth Wave, the other was less prominent and I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 37,319,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
[b]I
Would you continue to administer a shock....even IF you knew it was hurting someone and they had heart problems....because some "authority figure" told you to?
What's the name of that televangelist?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM

15,400 posts, read 20,014,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Part of Psych 101. Was not surprised in the least at the results back then, and I'm even less so with the increase over the years since 9/11. Ethically, we are in retrograde.

BTW, that experiment was one of the things that made me realize I was on the right track ALWAYS questioning authorities, and more importantly questioning the motives of questioners and media. There are a couple of other studies that go hand in hand with it. Fifth Wave, the other was less prominent and I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.
I had never heard of it but also never had to take Psychology courses with my major.

Frankly I'm not surprised either......either with the cruelity or stupidity of the people who kept shocking the "victims" nor the percentage of "fools" who blindly follow "authority".

I've always been a rebel too and as you suggest it is indeed the "way to go"...always question authority before believing and or reacting.

As our politics get more "religious" I'm afraid the percentage of "shockers" may continue to increase.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM

28,673 posts, read 41,219,100 times
It explains our educational system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology