U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
 
28,785 posts, read 45,110,697 times
Reputation: 37842

Advertisements

I noticed they added a couple of sub forums and it's going to make finding some things much easier. Thank you for the additions.

I do, however, feel that they missed one important sub forum that would help clean up the Science forum and make the lives of those who are serious about the subject better. Much less scooping and more reading and interacting.

Flaky Science

Nominations would help with the decision making process, but I think most of us know whose posts belong there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2012, 12:06 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq
 
n/a posts
Why have a new forum when we could instead clear up the problem with a ban?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 08:54 PM
 
15,921 posts, read 19,309,039 times
Reputation: 7675
Agree 100% with flaky science.....

Either flaky science or Science From Another Dimension....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 PM
 
28,785 posts, read 45,110,697 times
Reputation: 37842
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why have a new forum when we could instead clear up the problem with a ban?
They don't work. The posters just create a new account and keep right on posting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 10:31 PM
 
28,785 posts, read 45,110,697 times
Reputation: 37842
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Agree 100% with flaky science.....

Either flaky science or Science From Another Dimension....
Hmmmm. Other Dimensional Discretionary Science, or ODDS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 AM
 
706 posts, read 2,053,205 times
Reputation: 905
There is an existing forum called Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal, which would probably embrace most Flaky Science topics. Maybe that should have just been sub-forumed under Science in the first place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
4,657 posts, read 6,117,813 times
Reputation: 5589
Default It's a new forum I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
There is an existing forum called Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal, which would probably embrace most Flaky Science topics. Maybe that should have just been sub-forumed under Science in the first place.
And in its current form it should be kept far, far away from the Science and Technology forum. To quote the forum moderator:

Please note that this is NOT a forum for prosthelytizing or for bashing members who hold worldviews that differ from yours.

Which would be my natural inclination in a forum or sub-forum where science was mentioned in the title (not the members, themselves, of course, just what they write, although I doubt that the distinction would be made by those reading my responses).

I think the goal of anyone posting so-called Flaky Science in a Science and Technology forum is to invite controversy and get attention, so even if this forum did exist no one would post there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 12:41 PM
 
28,785 posts, read 45,110,697 times
Reputation: 37842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
And in its current form it should be kept far, far away from the Science and Technology forum. To quote the forum moderator:

Please note that this is NOT a forum for prosthelytizing or for bashing members who hold worldviews that differ from yours.

Which would be my natural inclination in a forum or sub-forum where science was mentioned in the title (not the members, themselves, of course, just what they write, although I doubt that the distinction would be made by those reading my responses).

I think the goal of anyone posting so-called Flaky Science in a Science and Technology forum is to invite controversy and get attention, so even if this forum did exist no one would post there.
The goal of the new forum is to give the mods a place to move these posts so the S&T Forum isn't clogged with them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 02:33 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq
 
n/a posts
A dumping ground for incoherent nonsense posted by people who don't even attempt to have a discussion seems rather pointless to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
40,814 posts, read 70,797,731 times
Reputation: 42286
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
A dumping ground for incoherent nonsense posted by people who don't even attempt to have a discussion seems rather pointless to me.
Yeah. CD already has Politics and Other Controversies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top