Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times

Advertisements

Wife has told me she had insulin resistance. I've pretty much covered all avenues, such as taking Vitamin D, not counting possible changes in the gut, and going from "white" fat to "brown" fat --- but I'm a bit stymied when it comes to a possible change in the gut.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Insulin is created in the adrenals, not sure why you aren't investigating adrenal support stuff like Adrenasense (sp?) or adrenal extract. The standard on liver support is milk thistle. Not sure if this is the forum that will give you the most educated responses.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Insulin is created in the adrenals
It's made in the pancreas.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Wife has told me she had insulin resistance. I've pretty much covered all avenues, such as taking Vitamin D, not counting possible changes in the gut, and going from "white" fat to "brown" fat --- but I'm a bit stymied when it comes to a possible change in the gut.

Any ideas?
Curious why you're mentioning the gut for insulin resistance?

Magnesium is good for insulin resistance as well as Chromium Picolinate as far as minerals go. Since her cell receptors are down regulated she should either go low carb or at least low glycemic when having carbs as that macronutrient has a profound effect on insulin release.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
It's made in the pancreas.
<doh!> You are correct, obviously. I had skipped a step in there. Thanks for the correction.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Curious why you're mentioning the gut for insulin resistance?

Magnesium is good for insulin resistance as well as Chromium Picolinate as far as minerals go. Since her cell receptors are down regulated she should either go low carb or at least low glycemic when having carbs as that macronutrient has a profound effect on insulin release.
"What has been observed in humans with regard to obesity is that there seems to be a difference in the number of kinds of bacteria in the gut," said Rob Knight of the University of Colorado, Boulder. "That number is much lower in obese people than in healthy people."

But others are investigating transferring gut bacteria from the other end-through "fecal transplants" from healthy people to those with illness. "The potential is very high, but the actual amount of research is relatively low," Knight said.

In trials of patients with Clostridium difficile infections -- a gut-wrenching intestinal problem -- more than 90 percent of patients have been cured, and their microbial communities restored to normal.

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 05-30-2012 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
<doh!> You are correct, obviously. I had skipped a step in there. Thanks for the correction.
For a sec i thought that you might be one of those lizard people that i'm always hearing about on Coast To Coast (George Noory)

Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
"What has been observed in humans with regard to obesity is that there seems to be a difference in the number of kinds of bacteria in the gut," said Rob Knight of the University of Colorado, Boulder. "That number is much lower in obese people than in healthy people."

But others are investigating transferring gut bacteria from the other end-through "fecal transplants" from healthy people to those with illness. "The potential is very high, but the actual amount of research is relatively low," Knight said.

In trials of patients with Clostridium difficile infections -- a gut-wrenching intestinal problem -- more than 90 percent of patients have been cured, and their microbial communities restored to normal.
O.k. i see what your getting at now. Couple of thoughts and that is firstly while i have read about studies showing that gut flora can play a role with obesity and i'm a huge proponent on probiotics however i really believe that gut bacteria is down to the bottom of the list as to the causes and treatments of obesity. A ''clean'' diet and some form of exercise (even walking) is what would have the most effect on obesity. If you want i'll dig it up as i've read some years back (Journal of Clinical Nutrition/Pubmed) the clinical studies showing that just walking alone ''changes'' genetic expression that makes the body use sugar and fat more efficiently over time.

Secondly i have heard of fecal transplants however why go thru something like that that's not even found in nature when you could instead start taking a good probiotic. Also many foods in nature provide good bacteria like organic yogurt, kefir, and butter and some herbs and oils are good at killing off the bad bacteria like garlic, cayenne and coconut oil as a few examples.

Again just my opinion but why would someone transfer fecal bacteria from an unknown human into themselve when they can restore it naturally from fermented foods and probiotics.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
O.k. i see what your getting at now. Couple of thoughts and that is firstly while i have read about studies showing that gut flora can play a role with obesity and i'm a huge proponent on probiotics however i really believe that gut bacteria is down to the bottom of the list as to the causes and treatments of obesity. A ''clean'' diet and some form of exercise (even walking) is what would have the most effect on obesity. If you want i'll dig it up as i've read some years back (Journal of Clinical Nutrition/Pubmed) the clinical studies showing that just walking alone ''changes'' genetic expression that makes the body use sugar and fat more efficiently over time.

Secondly i have heard of fecal transplants however why go thru something like that that's not even found in nature when you could instead start taking a good probiotic. Also many foods in nature provide good bacteria like organic yogurt, kefir, and butter and some herbs and oils are good at killing off the bad bacteria like garlic, cayenne and coconut oil as a few examples.

Again just my opinion but why would someone transfer fecal bacteria from an unknown human into themselve when they can restore it naturally from fermented foods and probiotics.
I was just figuring that there would be a quicker solution for a simpler gut. If there's a time element and the have the time, then nothing wrong with that. It's interesting that genetic expression can change from walking, alone. I think she may be talking a probiotic, but I'm not sure what. If you gave me the best couple of picks, I'd be very happy to pass it on.

My wife does need to exercise. She was talking about it last night as part of getting better. Walking might help, but I was thinking she might need to have a more exercise as time goes by because it'll get easier.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I was just figuring that there would be a quicker solution for a simpler gut. If there's a time element and the have the time, then nothing wrong with that. It's interesting that genetic expression can change from walking, alone. I think she may be talking a probiotic, but I'm not sure what. If you gave me the best couple of picks, I'd be very happy to pass it on.

My wife does need to exercise. She was talking about it last night as part of getting better. Walking might help, but I was thinking she might need to have a more exercise as time goes by because it'll get easier.
Well there's many different brands and places to purchase from and so firstly do you have a local health food store to where you and your wife could go visit in person as you and her could gab with someone actually in person which is good when first starting out. If i purchase online i usually buy from Vitacost although there's other good sites like Iherb, Swanson's and Vitamin Shoppe for some examples to compare prices etc.

So here's one probiotic example sold at Vitacost as it's $19.71 for a two month supply (very good deal) with 10 different bacteria strains including FOS (feeds probiotics) and so i'll link this product as an example.

Vitacost Probiotic 10-20 - 20 Billion CFU** -- 200 Vegetarian Capsules - Vitacost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology