U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 PM

17,824 posts, read 20,768,549 times

Advertisements

Physicists find new particle, but is it the Higgs? : Nature News & Comment

They found something, they just are not sure what yet.

Quote:
Physicists have maintained that they will not announce the discovery of the Higgs until the signal surpasses 5 sigma, meaning that it has just a 0.00003% probability that the result is due to chance.

CERN's head of communications, James Gillies, confirmed that four of the theorists who dreamt up the Higgs mechanism in the 1960s — François Englert, Carl Hagen, Peter Higgs and Gerald Guralnik — will be present at Wednesday's seminar, but he declined to be drawn on what will be announced.
It would appear to me that they are going to make a confirmation of Higgs-Boson. If I had to guess, with a mass in the 128-130 GeV range.

Last edited by Glitch; 07-03-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,322,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
You're mixing up a couple of things. I'm assuming you watched "Fabric of the Cosmos". It was a pretty good special on PBS.

That particular theory is that particles are made of loops or strings of vibrating energy.

Branes come from M-Theory, which is a subset of string theory. I'm not quite sure how to distill down what branes are since I'm not quite sure I understand it myself, but it has to do with those strings alternately creating and residing on various extra dimensions.

There are all kinds of "particles" left to find. There might be gravitons, there might be dark matter. Who knows what we might find.
Yeap i've watched ''Fabric of the Cosmos'' with physicist Brian Greene as well as numerous shows by Michio Kaku over the years .

O.K. i'll research more about Gravitons and i didn't even think about Dark Matter as that does make sense as well as there has to be some kind of ''hidden'' particle(s) associated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology