U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 AM

18,766 posts, read 56,545,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Leave it to an anti-Fox person to bring political nonsense into a thread about science.

A suicide mission is one from which you don't return. Their description is entirely accurate.
No it is not. In the military, a suicide mission is one where you will (or likely will) die because of the actions of the enemy or an intentional self-destruction in setting off an explosion or some other objective, and yet you willingly accept this being killed in the line of duty. A mission where you live out your natural life in a different location is not a suicide mission. If it were, your aunt Tillie could move to Florida for retirement and call it a suicide mission. The use of the term is uneducated and inflammatory at best. What it does that I detest is diminish the phrase to a catch phrase, so that the brave men who actually DID go on suicide missions have their greatness chipped away at for the sake of selling advertising. I find that despicable.

I have no love for any of the media and the hyperbole and emotionality that it uses to sell itself. So if you want to call me anti-Fox as well, go ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM

13,145 posts, read 19,744,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
The company will hold a worldwide lottery next year to select 40 people for a training team. They will then set up a mock colony in the desert, possibly somewhere in the U.S., for three months. This initial team will be reduced to ten crew members.

They will then be sent to Mars, never again to return.

“We will send humans to Mars in 2023,” he told FoxNews.com. “They will live there the rest of their lives.

There will be a habitat waiting for them, and we’ll start sending four people every two years.”

The habitat will consist of several housing structures that Mars One will launch before 2023.

In 2016, the company plans to launch the first supply vessel.

In 2018, it plans to send a rover.

Read more: Mars One plans suicide mission to Red Planet for 2023 | Fox News
If I didn't have a family here I would go... and while the risk would be high, it's no "suicide mission". Still I would be very surprised if they managed to pull it off.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 AM

3,837 posts, read 4,948,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
No it is not. In the military, a suicide mission is one where you will (or likely will) die because of the actions of the enemy or an intentional self-destruction in setting off an explosion or some other objective, and yet you willingly accept this being killed in the line of duty. A mission where you live out your natural life in a different location is not a suicide mission. If it were, your aunt Tillie could move to Florida for retirement and call it a suicide mission. The use of the term is uneducated and inflammatory at best. What it does that I detest is diminish the phrase to a catch phrase, so that the brave men who actually DID go on suicide missions have their greatness chipped away at for the sake of selling advertising. I find that despicable.

I have no love for any of the media and the hyperbole and emotionality that it uses to sell itself. So if you want to call me anti-Fox as well, go ahead.
There's been absolutely no evidence of self-sustained agriculture or oxygen production being yet technically viable on Mars, let alone reliable enough to work for decades, so until such technologies are proved I'd consider this a suicide mission. The astronauts are more than likely to die prematurely on Mars. While I'm sure the term suicide mission was used as it's more catchy than extremely risky one-way trip, I don't think it's inaccurate.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 AM

41,478 posts, read 52,801,391 times
This is a colonizing mission without the option of returning to the origin. The colonists will have to redefine "home" and do what is necessary to survive as long as possible. If they are not planning to have children than this mission is a long term job and not a colonization effort.

I agree with Harry Chickpee. This is not in any way shape of form a military suicide mission.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,754,520 times
So the plan is to build a life-sustaining colony with food, fuel, first aid, and everything they would need to restart humanity, plus ships to get everything there in 10 years? Somehow I doubt that.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,225,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
The psychological and emotional tolls would probably be enormous. To leave the only home you've ever known, and all of your friends and family behind knowing that you will never return. To spend the rest of your days forever with only a handful of others. However it would also be an exciting adventure and I'm sure there are many out there who would jump at the chance.
You are describing the first people who set out for unknown foreign shores. Maybe the clovis people. Maybe the wanderers who knew from the start that the first most likely thing was they'd die and if they didn't it was a one way trip. This is a human thing to do. To look beyond and risk death or isolation for the chance.

People who want to commit sucide seldom let on. They can even be happy and content, with no strain or worries, just before. But they're past fear.

Soldiers sent on a mission which most of them won't return from are not commiting sucide, just doing what they believe is important enough to risk ending life early. They have more in common with the immigrant.

Ever see Blade Runner? On of the reasons its such a dark world is those who'll take a chance on somewhere else have and the rest either won't or aren't allowed to.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM

10,837 posts, read 13,745,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
So the plan is to build a life-sustaining colony with food, fuel, first aid, and everything they would need to restart humanity, plus ships to get everything there in 10 years? Somehow I doubt that.
The planet is not conductive to support life as far as we know now. 10 years to travel so far and start on a new world? No way. Only Earth can sustain us currently. There are other worlds that are Earth-like no doubt but they may already be home to someone else and are far. Too far to get to anytime even remotely soon.

I will stay on Terra. She is still beautiful despite our tarnishing her- Both morally, environmentally and otherwise.

Last edited by D. Scott; 08-01-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 04:58 PM

29,986 posts, read 38,284,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It will be interesting if he has any takers next year with the lottery. Frankly I don't know who in their right mind would go there to never to come home and this habitat what if it fails in some way they will all die.
I think if Newt Gingrich could escape his campaign debt that he would go.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 3,238,918 times
Mars One: Yes, Bas Lansdorp Really Does Want To Send People To Mars By 2023 - Business Insider
Good luck. (The link tells more about it and emphasizes that it's not a hoax)

Maybe, if all goes more or less well (as in there being survivors), it could start a colonization trend?

That's great if the training is treated as a reality show for funding, but hopefully the Mars colonization itself does not turn into a reality show. That'd be very sad if, once on Mars, the attention turns towards the private lives of the colonists. They'll need privacy and to live their own lives.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 AM

17,824 posts, read 20,768,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

It is indeed a suicide mission. Anyone going to Mars within the next decade will not live beyond a year on the surface of Mars, assuming they can even reach the planet still alive. Solar radiation alone will kill everyone. They most certainly will not live out their natural life.

Then there is the issue of supplies. Where are they going to get their oxygen and water? They cannot ship enough to Mars from Earth, and I read nothing about producing their own. While they may be able to separate oxygen from CO2, there is no hydrogen on Mars to make water.

We do not even know if the gravity on Mars is sufficient to prevent bone loss.

Currently, and for the foreseeable future, any trip to Mars is indeed a suicide mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology