U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM

12,213 posts, read 21,591,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
As Ray Kurzweil emphatically stated ''Live long enough to live forever''.
Agreed! My goal is to spend new years 2100 on the moon. I will be 127 but plan on looking like I am 27...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Few of the above-described technological advancements will be possible without some major breakthrough in power generation.
That is coming too. By the year 2019 studies have shown that solar will be less expensive then traditional fossil fuels and it will get even cheaper in the 2020's. That is just one example but we are entering the age of abundance and that includes energy.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM

28,675 posts, read 41,242,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I understand not everyone will that is why I say, and have read, 80% and not 100%. However its already happening now just look at the advances currently going on with medicine so fast forward 10 to 15 years with how technology advances exponentially and it will be common place and change society more then anyone can realize and that is just 15 years from now so about the OP's question with 100 years from now its impossible to know what life will be like.
If it does happen (and I'm doubtful) your numbers are still wrong. You're going to need a sizable number of baby boomers adding that chip to reach the numbers you're talking about and it's not going to happen. Hell, look at my CD handle - You won't see a chip in this geeks head.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If it does happen (and I'm doubtful) your numbers are still wrong. You're going to need a sizable number of baby boomers adding that chip to reach the numbers you're talking about and it's not going to happen. Hell, look at my CD handle - You won't see a chip in this geeks head.
It already happening now. Do a google search on it and you will be amazed.

This is one example but a great one:

The human body itself could soon be connected to the web, “father of the internet” Vint Cerf has predicted. Speaking exclusively to The Independent in a live, online Q&A yesterday, Cerf said that work was already underway to make the plan a reality after he was inspired to come up with a way of hooking medical implants up to the internet by his wife, who has cochlear implants to help her hearing.

The link: The human body could soon be connected to the web, says 'father of the internet' Vint Cerf - News - Gadgets & Tech - The Independent

Then you look at how it will help all the medical needs such as hearing loss, eye sight loss, paralysis, etc. and its easy to see why 80% is not a optimistic number by the late 2020's.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:21 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,330,616 times
Quote:
Agreed! My goal is to spend new years 2100 on the moon. I will be 127 but plan on looking like I am 27...
The moon? Hell my goal (besides being alive ) would just being able to still play basketball at the park or surfing the waves while dodging the sand sharks at 120 .

Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
The moon? Hell my goal (besides being alive ) would just being able to still play basketball at the park or surfing the waves while dodging the sand sharks at 120 .
Make it to 2030 (to be conservative as it could be by 2025) and you should see your goal.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Make it to 2030 (to be conservative as it could be by 2025) and you should see your goal.
Yeap that would be cool and again i know all about Ray Kurzweil and i've read his book ''The Fantastic Voyage'' about all the coming advancements of medicine and anti aging which is great. However that being said i don't dwell on death as i could die at anytime before e.g. freak brain aneurysm or be killed in an auto accident or shot etc. and so all i can do is to continue to live like one of my idol's Jack Lalanne as i'm in my 40's and i still train as an athlete like in my younger days and try to mostly eat clean (except when i take a special lady to Baskin Robbins on friday nites ) as just maybe that'll take me to the coming Singularity point .

Old 08-09-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yeap that would be cool and again i know all about Ray Kurzweil and i've read his book ''The Fantastic Voyage'' about all the coming advancements of medicine and anti aging which is great. However that being said i don't dwell on death as i could die at anytime before e.g. freak brain aneurysm or be killed in an auto accident or shot etc. and so all i can do is to continue to live like one of my idol's Jack Lalanne as i'm in my 40's and i still train as an athlete like in my younger days and try to mostly eat clean (except when i take a special lady to Baskin Robbins on friday nites ) as just maybe that'll take me to the coming Singularity point .
I agree we are all day to day and if I was to die then none of this would matter to me because I would be dead. So instead I focus on the future as if I will be alive to see it as that is my dream and goal.

The funny thing is when I talk about the future I either get laughed at or people get really mad at me. However they always agree with me on how far we have come and how much faster technology is changing and every new invention, like the 30 that will change the world in a thread here, all help prove that my assessment and Ray Kurzweils is 100% accurate. If anything I think Ray is conservative on his estimates as I see the singularity starting in 2030 and peaking at 2045 not starting in 2045 as he says.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I agree we are all day to day and if I was to die then none of this would matter to me because I would be dead. So instead I focus on the future as if I will be alive to see it as that is my dream and goal.

The funny thing is when I talk about the future I either get laughed at or people get really mad at me. However they always agree with me on how far we have come and how much faster technology is changing and every new invention, like the 30 that will change the world in a thread here, all help prove that my assessment and Ray Kurzweils is 100% accurate. If anything I think Ray is conservative on his estimates as I see the singularity starting in 2030 and peaking at 2045 not starting in 2045 as he says.
Has (Ray) Kurzweil been working on any coming books or recient speaking seminars as the ''Fantastic Voyage'' was a mid 2000's publishing and i'm wondering what's his latest thinking is of the next 20 to 30 years?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Has (Ray) Kurzweil been working on any coming books or recient speaking seminars as the ''Fantastic Voyage'' was a mid 2000's publishing and i'm wondering what's his latest thinking is of the next 20 to 30 years?
"The Singularity is Near" came out in 2003 I think and is the book I read. Plus he has a movie called Transended Man. There is a new book coming out. As far as lectures. There are a lot on YouTube and while most of them are the same they do differ a bit. I have spent hours watching them as I am fascinated by what is going to happen in the next 50 years. The interesting thing is nothing he says is new or nothing I have not heard before he just put it together in ways not many have. Sometimes I just look around and think this is the last decade life will be like this as the changes will really kick in during the 2020s. Peter Diamonds, the CEO of the X Prize, is another one to look up and has a book called The Coming Age of Abudance". Time Magizing has a good report on it too. Just google 2045 Time.

We are in a age that is going to change society in ways we can't predict. 100 years from now we will be trillions of times smarter then we are now and there is no way to know what that will mean to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology