Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 04:25 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times

Advertisements

interesting.. better hope a super volcano does not go off under the oceans somewhere..

Massive Rock Raft Found Floating off New Zealand - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Let's play news conference. Who can think of obvious questions that were left unasked and unanswered by the reporter who filed this story, who was probably a hack intern who didn't even wonder. Or distilled it for the supermarket tabloid racks, from a source that was packed with fascinating and interesting data.

1. Are these rocks floating on the surface, visible from a distance, or visible from the air, or satellite?

2. Are they tightly packed, or diffuse?

3. How can a solid mass the size of Belgium go unnoticed on the ocean for so long? Are there undiscovered islands out there the size of Belgium?

4. Is floating rocks a phenomenon that has never been observed before?

5. If 1,000 kilometers equals 620 miles, how long is 250 nautical miles?

6. Why do they round off the number of miles to the nearest ten, if the kilometers are obviously rounded off to the nearest couple of hundred?

7. Is Belgium bigger then Egypt or Paraguay or Colorado or New Zealand?

8. Where is Auckland?

9. How can rocks float?

10. Does this have anything to do with UFOs or Freemasonry or the Mayan Calendar? Can it be tied in with pawn shops, so we can learn more about it on the Science Channel?

11. What happened to the old journalistic style of giving the age of everybody that is quoted. "Naval Lt. Tim Oscar, 43. says . . . " Do they think nobody cares how old he is anymore? What are the names of the other scientists and officials who were quoted, they're leaving out essential data that curious minds want to know?

As you can tell, this article made my day.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-14-2012 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,472 times
It just occured to me that it was very interesting that felsic rocks are being extruded from oceanic crust.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Let's play news conference. Who can think of obvious questions that were left unasked and unanswered by the reporter who filed this story, who was probably a hack intern who didn't even wonder. Or distilled it for the supermarket tabloid racks, from a source that was packed with fascinating and interesting data.

1. Are these rocks floating on the surface, visible from a distance, or visible from the air, or satellite?

2. Are they tightly packed, or diffuse?

3. How can a solid mass the size of Belgium go unnoticed on the ocean for so long? Are there undiscovered islands out there the size of Belgium?

4. Is floating rocks a phenomenon that has never been observed before?

5. If 1,000 kilometers equals 620 miles, how long is 250 nautical miles?

6. Why do they round off the number of miles to the nearest ten, if the kilometers are obviously rounded off to the nearest couple of hundred?

7. Is Belgium bigger then Egypt or Paraguay or Colorado or New Zealand?

8. Where is Auckland?

9. How can rocks float?

10. Does this have anything to do with UFOs or Freemasonry or the Mayan Calendar? Can it be tied in with pawn shops, so we can learn more about it on the Science Channel?

11. What happened to the old journalistic style of giving the age of everybody that is quoted. "Naval Lt. Tim Oscar, 43. says . . . " Do they think nobody cares how old he is anymore? What are the names of the other scientists and officials who were quoted, they're leaving out essential data that curious minds want to know?

As you can tell, this article made my day.

i guess this vid can answere some of those,,
Huge volcanic rock 'ice-shelf' spotted in Pacific - YouTube

i was wondering how long those volcanic rocks will float for,?? it would be cool when and if they start to collect on the shores... thats a lot of floating rocks,, they have coral here in the us vi that floats,, most people here call it "floating coral" i do not know the technical name for that species of coral. but i do know that when it dries out i will float, i've thrown pieces of that coral the size of a sac of 96 pound concrete that float..

Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
More questions about the rocks for that news conference:

Are they radioactive so people can panic properly?

Will China come out with a cheaper version, flooding the floating rock market?

Are they good in cereal?

Will they contribute to global warming / climate change / underwear sweatiness?

Will there be a bathtub ring?

How will this affect the way that witches are found, now that "very small rocks" float, as was so astutely suggested in "Holy Grail"?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:26 PM

i've acually seen those exact type of rocks here on the shorelines, very sparce though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology