Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I'm sure in the coming years that Mayport (largest naval base in southeast united states) will get many of these ships and when they do i'm hoping that they'll have ''ships tour'' on one of them as i'm really curious about how the Bridge looks and is set up etc. I'm sure that there will no longer be any Helmsman and Lee Helmsman position as it's probably all computer controlled as the ''Quartermaster of the Watch '' will probably just sit in a chair behind a computer screen and just punch in the navigational coordinates given from the Conning Officer .

That being said this new technology kind of takes the fun out of steering a ship while standing watch on the helm especially when going slow at 1/3 speed (7/8 knots) during rough seas as it was hell trying to stay on course all the while the Conning Officer is constantly barking ''Helmsman mind your headings"" .
They are AWESOME...

The new Guns are completely automated and computer controlled.....as is much of the Destroyer.

The new Naval Gun Shells called "LRLAP"(Long Range Land Attack Projectile) weigh 235 pounds....... have a range of 85 miles...and are over 7 feet long......GPS guided with the ability to manuever in flight....

The old shells weighed 65 pounds....range of 15 miles and were just over 2 feet long.

THE PDF LINKS are FANTASTIC!

Long Range Land Attack Projectile

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/conten...c-lrlap-pc.pdf

http://www.baesystems.com/cs/groups/...aes_027605.pdf

https://www.navalengineers.org/SiteC...20%20Davis.pdf

Long Range Land Attack Projectile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 01:44 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Nautilus

Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
They are AWESOME...

The new Guns are completely automated and computer controlled.....as is much of the Destroyer.

The new Naval Gun Shells called "LRLAP"(Long Range Land Attack Projectile) weigh 235 pounds....... have a range of 85 miles...and are over 7 feet long......GPS guided with the ability to manuever in flight....

The old shells weighed 65 pounds....range of 15 miles and were just over 2 feet long.

THE PDF LINKS are FANTASTIC!

Long Range Land Attack Projectile

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/conten...c-lrlap-pc.pdf

http://www.baesystems.com/cs/groups/...aes_027605.pdf

https://www.navalengineers.org/SiteC...20%20Davis.pdf

Long Range Land Attack Projectile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My ship in Vietnam had 8" RAP projectiles, range was 40 miles inland, normal bullets, 20 miles.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

LOL ... trust me as i know about that and while i'm not sure how they did this on the west coast fleet however on the east coast fleet when a navy ship is scheduled for a major overhaul (6 months to a year) at Norfolk Naval Shipyards in Virginia all ordinance must first be removed and so we firstly embarked to the Naval Weapons Depot on the Cooper River at Charleston, SC as we had to unload 100's/1000's of 65 lb shells up from the Turret Magazine at the bottom level of the ship in a human chain hand to hand going up each deck until finally topside on the forward brow where they were stacked in crates and lifted off the ship by cranes. I never did figure out how the FTM's (Missile Techs) could maneuver those 1300 lb RIM-24 Tartar missiles way down in the missile magazine located at the rear of the destroyer.

And of course once out of the shipyards we had to go back down the coast to the Weapons Depot to do it all over again only now in reverse and i have to admit that at times when a shipmate handed me one of those shells and i then handed it to another at times i pondered ''what if one of these shells slipped out of someone's hands would it explode and kill those of us around the dropped shell'' .

Old 09-13-2012, 07:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
The Iowa Class battleships.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Yeap that was interesting info about their specs and while i do understand the modern state of the art design and technology behind them being smaller and sleeker than the older class of destroyers however i guess i'm somewhat of a traditionalist as these Zumwalt's look more akin to a surface submarine with a large superstructure than like the Burke, Spruance or Adam class destroyers before them that looked somewhat closer to the destroyers and crusiers during WW2 .

Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Its the new prototype im working on, actually its from battleship

But seriously this is the new prototype im working on. I call it prometheus

Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
LOL ... trust me as i know about that and while i'm not sure how they did this on the west coast fleet however on the east coast fleet when a navy ship is scheduled for a major overhaul (6 months to a year) at Norfolk Naval Shipyards in Virginia all ordinance must first be removed and so we firstly embarked to the Naval Weapons Depot on the Cooper River at Charleston, SC as we had to unload 100's/1000's of 65 lb shells up from the Turret Magazine at the bottom level of the ship in a human chain hand to hand going up each deck until finally topside on the forward brow where they were stacked in crates and lifted off the ship by cranes. I never did figure out how the FTM's (Missile Techs) could maneuver those 1300 lb RIM-24 Tartar missiles way down in the missile magazine located at the rear of the destroyer.

And of course once out of the shipyards we had to go back down the coast to the Weapons Depot to do it all over again only now in reverse and i have to admit that at times when a shipmate handed me one of those shells and i then handed it to another at times i pondered ''what if one of these shells slipped out of someone's hands would it explode and kill those of us around the dropped shell'' .
Thanx for sharing your expertise and real life experiences with your fellow posters.

I imagine it gets exhausting passing 65 pounds of potentially lethal projectiles. But I'm pretty sure the "fuse" must first be set before they can explode.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Yeap that was interesting info about their specs and while i do understand the modern state of the art design and technology behind them being smaller and sleeker than the older class of destroyers however i guess i'm somewhat of a traditionalist as these Zumwalt's look more akin to a surface submarine with a large superstructure than like the Burke, Spruance or Adam class destroyers before them that looked somewhat closer to the destroyers and crusiers during WW2 .
They do look like Submarines but that's part of their stealth design...supposedly on radar they appear the size of a small fishing boat.

However these Destroyers are 5,000 tons heavier than the Arleigh Burke Class so it is impressive they look smaller even to the naked eye.

As far as I am aware three have been built so far and are now operational.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Its the new prototype im working on, actually its from battleship

But seriously this is the new prototype im working on. I call it prometheus
Can it "float"????????.

The one from the movie looks cool but I've not seen the flick yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology