Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,832,582 times

Advertisements

Here I am with another question .. thought up and pondered over during another night of insomnia!

The problem is .. This is a hard one to figure out how to ask!

Well, here goes anyway!

In space, there is no up or down .. correct?

The 'down' part is totally dependent on gravity .. right?

Now .. let's say that I am God.
(Don't get upset with me you Christians on the forum, it's the only way I can ask this.)

So, I am God and space is totally void of anything.
(A blank space .. so to speak)
I, as God reach out my hand and hang the planet earth on 'nothingness'<-- That sentence is in the bible .. Well not the planet word.).

Now since there is no up or down and no other objects that create the force of gravity (planets, moons etc), does the earth just float on this emptiness?

Or does the planet fall, rise, bob like a soap bubble .. what?

Is everything, from the smallest moon to the largest galaxy just 'hanging' in space?

Forget the rotation and orbiting movements, I am only interested in the up or down directions.

I know .. crazy question huh?

Hey, it makes my insomnia very interesting though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
There is no science to this. This is not the religion forum. Please re-read the sticky.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There is no science to this. This is not the religion forum. Please re-read the sticky.
What the #ell are you talking about!?

You have a problem with theoretical conjecture?

Maybe a little too deep for you?

This has nothing to do with religion (apparently a bad word to you) 'but' If you'd like .. you can re-write my question to suit you!

If you don't want to answer the question ... well .. Bye!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
This was not an unreasonable question, aside from the capital letter used in the assignation of a hypothetical first cause.

Particles have a "handedness", and the traditional concepts of Right and Left are meaningless until Up and Down are defined as referents. If you wish to address the OP's question, start there.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
If there were "nothingness" how could the planet rise, fall bob or weave?

Those characteristics would indicate there were other forces acting on the planet... (unless god farted or sneezed or something)

Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If there were "nothingness" how could the planet rise, fall bob or weave?

Those characteristics would indicate there were other forces acting on the planet... (unless god farted or sneezed or something)
HEY pghquest .. whatcha doing over here?

That's just it .. without reference .. HOW would you know if you were falling?

Even with a universe filled with objects, if all the objects were falling at the same rate (which they would be due to lack of any resistance) you would have no reference to judge movement.

It's a tough concept when you think of space and objects within that space .. not moving vertically!?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:10 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Default Good one, Einstein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
HEY pghquest .. whatcha doing over here?

That's just it .. without reference .. HOW would you know if you were falling?

Even with a universe filled with objects, if all the objects were falling at the same rate (which they would be due to lack of any resistance) you would have no reference to judge movement.

It's a tough concept when you think of space and objects within that space .. not moving vertically!?
This is the beginning of a the same line of thought that led to Special Relativity and then General Relativity.

Without reference there is no way of knowing if you're moving. In more precise terms, the "principle of relativity" states that all laws of physics are independent frame of reference. If they weren't then an experiment based on those laws would be able to tell you your absolute frame of reference. One consequence of the principle of relativity is that the speed of light the same as measured in all reference frames, not matter their relative velocities.

All experiments currently accepted show that the principle of relativity is true and that there is no absolute reference inherent in space; only the matter and energy in the universe (such as Earth) serve to define any preferred frame.

Is that what you're asking?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This is the beginning of a the same line of thought that led to Special Relativity and then General Relativity.

Without reference there is no way of knowing if you're moving. In more precise terms, the "principle of relativity" states that all laws of physics are independent frame of reference. If they weren't then an experiment based on those laws would be able to tell you your absolute frame of reference. One consequence of the principle of relativity is that the speed of light the same as measured in all reference frames, not matter their relative velocities.

All experiments currently accepted show that the principle of relativity is true and that there is no absolute reference inherent in space; only the matter and energy in the universe (such as Earth) serve to define any preferred frame.

Is that what you're asking?
Yup .. That was it exactly!

This is one of those brain drains that keep you awake at night.
(Or maybe just me)

For instance: Being that the speed of light is constant .. what happens when you are in an automobile, traveling at light speed and .. you turn on your headlights?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:

For instance: Being that the speed of light is constant .. what happens when you are in an automobile, traveling at light speed and .. you turn on your headlights?
You get an "Optic Boom".

Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
What happens when you drive a car into a black hole with the just the driving lights on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology