Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times

Advertisements

Of course this may very well be one of those things the media says, blown out of proportion, or saying a particular disaster is imminent when in reality it could still be hundreds of years away, but I heard on the news this morning that recently rising pressure within Japan's Mt Fuji is now higher than that necessary for eruption (currently at higher levels than previous eruption).

Will be an interesting thing to follow. Japan can't just seem to catch a break. They said the rising pressure is directly related to the massive earthquake, and that recent earthquake swarms have been detected under the volcano. It last erupted in the early 1700s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:57 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
There wouldn't be a volcano there if it weren't possible.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
There wouldn't be a volcano there if it weren't possible.
Obviously, but most volcanoes don't just erupt every day, every year, or even every century. This is an iconic mountain in a country that has recently been through a lot disaster wise that is now at a point in which eruption could happen very soon under its current pressure. Sorry I just thought it would be an interesting news item to follow.

Last edited by cjg5; 09-08-2012 at 05:56 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
As I understand it, volcano are situated on places where the magma has found a channel through the earths crust to be released to the surface. (I am not a geologist in any sense of the word!) If that is what they are, then the earthquake last year and the recent ongoing earthquakes are going to keep things active in that area.

There is also the 3 nuclear cores from Fukushima which have melted through their containments and are at this moment tunnelling their way to through the ground hitting ground water and causing mini earthquakes whenever they do. There is nothing which can stop them or the radioactive releases they produce. When will we humans learn that nuclear power is dangerous and the producs it produces lasts for thousands and hundreds of thousands of years.

I would not be at all surprised if Mt Fuji had an eruption soon.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Sorry, cjg5, I didn't mean to criticize you for posting this. In fact, I appreciate you doing so as I am interested in such things.

My comment was directed more toward the media which, as you said, blows things out of proportion. There are any number of volcanoes throughout the world that can (and have been!) erupting all along, but the media is more interested in the one that will bring about the end of the world.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
This is one case where the media has not blown things out of proportion. The National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention recently measured the pressure within Mount Fuji at 1.6 megapascals. Which is 16 times the pressure of 0.1 megapascals needed for an eruption to occur. Some vulcanologist are suggesting that a "massive eruption" is likely to occur within the next three years.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Sorry, cjg5, I didn't mean to criticize you for posting this. In fact, I appreciate you doing so as I am interested in such things.

My comment was directed more toward the media which, as you said, blows things out of proportion. There are any number of volcanoes throughout the world that can (and have been!) erupting all along, but the media is more interested in the one that will bring about the end of the world.
Gottcha. I was wondering the same thing myself about the media but it seems this is serious business, as Glitch states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
This is one case where the media has not blown things out of proportion. The National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention recently measured the pressure within Mount Fuji at 1.6 megapascals. Which is 16 times the pressure of 0.1 megapascals needed for an eruption to occur. Some vulcanologist are suggesting that a "massive eruption" is likely to occur within the next three years.
Again will be interesting to follow this story. This definitely has potential to be a cataclysmic eruption. Japan just can't seem to catch a break these last couple of years. I hope their government is doing everything they can to prepare for the possibility. Nearby Tokyo is not only the largest city in Japan, it is the largest city in the world.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If I may add an additional note, the government (I presume that to mean the Japanese government) is saying "an eruption could result in more than 300,000 deaths as well as cause up to $30 billion in damage."

Mount Fuji close to erupting, experts say

Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Methinks the OP was off by a few thousand miles on the volcano...

Guatemala Fuego volcano eruption triggers evacuation

BBC News - Guatemala Fuego volcano eruption triggers evacuation

Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Methinks the OP was off by a few thousand miles on the volcano...

Guatemala Fuego volcano eruption triggers evacuation

BBC News - Guatemala Fuego volcano eruption triggers evacuation
I would not be the least bit surprised to learn that there is a connection between the 7.4 magnitude quake in El Salvador on August 27, 2012 and the Guatemala eruption on September 12, 2012.

There are 41 active volcanoes in Alaska, but currently only three have a "Yellow" Advisories. The Kamchatka Peninsula, Russia, has another 29 active volcanoes, with two currently with "Orange" Advisories, and three with "Yellow" Advisories. There are another 36 active volcanoes on the Russian Kurile Islands. "Active" in this case means recorded eruptions within the last 250 years. The actual number of volcanoes is significantly larger.

Alaska Volcano Observatory - Activity

There is a good reason it is called "The Ring of Fire", and that includes Mount Fuji.

In the last 32 years we have seen a significant increase in volcanic activity around the Pacific Rim, including the second largest eruption during the twentieth century - The 1991 eruption of Pinatubo, in the Philippines. That also includes the Mount St. Helen eruption in 1980, and between 1980 and 2012 there have been 62 eruptions from 15 volcanoes in Alaska.

Alaska Volcano Search Results

Alaska gets somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 quakes per month, the vast majority under magnitude 4.0. Sometimes quakes precede an eruption, and sometimes an eruption produces quakes.

Last edited by Glitch; 09-13-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology