Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

Awww shucks.... I was looking forward to having T-Rex's and Raptors guarding America's borders.....

Quote:
"Few researchers have given credence to claims that samples of dinosaur DNA have survived to the present day, but no one knew just how long it would take for genetic material to fall apart. Now, a study of fossils found in New Zealand is laying the matter to rest — and putting paid to hopes of cloning a Tyrannosaurus rex (abstract).

Half-Life of DNA is 521 Years, Jurassic Park Impossible After All - Slashdot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
It would just take longer and require more technology. However... chances are almost certain that it would have no defenses against current diseases and microbes, and have a hard time finding the proper gut bacteria, so would likely die very quickly anyway.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
If I remember correctly, the Jurassic Park novel didn't have full dino genomes, but just segments. So they were able to put the segments together somehow, and fill in the small remainder with some sort of modern reptile. I think. It's been a very long time since I read the book.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Awww shucks.... I was looking forward to having T-Rex's and Raptors guarding America's borders.....

Half-Life of DNA is 521 Years, Jurassic Park Impossible After All - Slashdot
I feel like we've had genetic specimens longer than that though.

AHA!

Not impossible after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that lame ass "scientific research"
Groundwater is almost ubiquitous, so DNA in buried bone samples should, in theory, degrade at a set rate.

They didn't say anything about genetic specimens contain inside hunks of amber.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Default Half-Life of DNA is 521 Years, Jurassic Park Impossible After All

Don't worry... someday we'll know enough about DNA to create "designer animals" that look like whatever we want. They won't be "real" dinosaurs but nobody being eaten by one will be able to tell the difference!

Personally, I want to see dragons, unicorns, trolls and naked elf babes more than dinosaurs though.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Don't worry... someday we'll know enough about DNA to create "designer animals" that look like whatever we want. They won't be "real" dinosaurs but nobody being eaten by one will be able to tell the difference!

Personally, I want to see dragons, unicorns, trolls and naked elf babes more than dinosaurs though.
Bitchin'. We can finally create a big-foot for those loons on TV to chase after.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

We will probably make them smaller and domesticated kind of like a miniature horse but a miniature T-Rex we can ride and keep on a farm.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Yeah I'm far from any sort of science expert, but I can see science "splicing" or combining either DNA from other animals or synthetic DNA to create a dinosaur.

However what would be the story for people who though dinos never existed? Would they be against "cloning" a dinosaur?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
However what would be the story for people who though dinos never existed? Would they be against "cloning" a dinosaur?
Young Earther's will eventually go extict too.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Bitchin'. We can finally create a big-foot for those loons on TV to chase after.
And little green men for the streets of roswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology