Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 12:01 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times

Advertisements

Looking for an honest opinion from someone who has used both. I am currently leaning towards Hulu Plus because it seems to have more content, but not entirely sure if that is true as I haven't actually used either (just going by what little research I have done, which at this point isn't much). I don't have cable (use an antenna though) and would be using it to watch shows I can't get with just an antenna, both old and new, probably a movie every once in a while, cartoons for my son, etc.

Also curious if either one of them offer a service live TV streams? (Would a live sports or news broadcast be available?)

Thanks for any and all opinions!

EDIT to ask: how many different devices would each be allowed to run on simultaneously? I have a Wii (probably primary use with that), two Blu-Ray players (I know Netflix can run on them, not sure about Hulu Plus), a laptop, and a cell phone (probably won't use the cell phone much if at all for viewing). If it can't run on two or more devices simultaneously, is it possible for the same account to be used on more than one device non-simultaneously? (And if simultaneous use is possible, what kind of extra cost will I be looking at if any?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM

628 posts, read 2,070,248 times
I have both.
I think that the best option is getting both. $16 total price for both is not gonna break the bank.
Hulu plus has TONS of TV shows -BUT- many of these show are stuff that you have probably never heard of or will watch. Lots of Asian and Hispanic programing make up most of the TV shows.
Netflix has more movies than TV shows. There is some crossover on what they offer, but Hulu plus gets shows faster than netflix. If you want to get most of the shows you get on cable, get both.

Neither have live stream that I am aware of, but there are channels on Roku that do have live streams, but no sports stuff that I know of. I could be wrong, I don't watch sports.

I am not aware of any limitations of devices used. I would think that it would be a limited based on your IP address so that you could not share your paid service with friends.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Thank you for the info! I don't watch sports either but others in my house do. I thought of getting both as well and if that is the recommendation I may just do it. (Was just trying to be cheap about it lol).

Will see if anyone else wants to chime in and will probably sign up for at least one of them later. If they have good free trial offers will probably try out both anyway.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM

628 posts, read 2,070,248 times
I did some more digging and you can share a netflix account with a friend, technically OK – or at least not prohibited – in the Netflix terms of service:

BY SHARING THE NETFLIX SERVICE PASSWORD, THE ACCOUNT OWNER AGREES TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSURING THAT HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS COMPLY WITH THE TERMS OF USE AND SUCH ACCOUNT OWNER SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF THE HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS.

Hulu doesn't mention password sharing in their terms of service. But it does work, I shared my hulu plus info with a family member and worked perfectly.

If you cannot find a friend, there is a new service call "Splitflix" to share the costs. HOME - splitflix

Last edited by Tart Green Apple; 11-25-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times
We had both when we didn't have cable. Now I just have Netflix since we ended up getting cable again.

As the previous poster mentioned, A LOT of the TV shows Hulu has is either old or unheard of to me. Same with the movies. Much of the newer stuff they both have. Netflix generally has more movies and Hulu was always geared toward TV shows, but I have found that Netflix has stepped up their game in that regard.

So just Netflix now. If you are wanting to go the "cable cutter" route, then i'd get both. Otherwise just Netflix too.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Thanks all for the info!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tart Green Apple View Post
you can share a netflix account with a friend

BY SHARING THE NETFLIX SERVICE PASSWORD, THE ACCOUNT OWNER AGREES TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSURING THAT HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS COMPLY WITH THE TERMS OF USE AND SUCH ACCOUNT OWNER SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF THE HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS.

Seems like not valid for watching it outside of your abode ?
Or those who you share it with, must live with you in the same abode.

My wife and I sometimes watch different movies, in different rooms !
In my *office space* I watch via my laptop, and she watches it in the bedroom via a *smart Blueray*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology