Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,501 times

Advertisements

The Time Warner Cable system in Kansas City appears to be freaking out about the rollout of Google Fiber, and for obvious reasons. Google Fiber puts the Time Warner Cable offering to shame.

Read more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
The link to the other article states that Google will connect its fiber optic cables to cities all over the country. But when? For example, I think Verizon's fiber optic cables are only available in some parts of roughly a dozen states. This service began in 2005 and its now 2012. When do you think Google can get their even faster services outside Kansas City and into widespread usage?

Secondly, if the cable companies still offer more affordable packages, many people will remain with cable. Verizon may offer download speed up to 300 Mbps. However, I have to pay much extra for that speed. Right now, for just flipping between webpages, not downloading movies or uploading content on a website, the 15 Mbps service I get is enough speed for me. In fact, I using test my internet speed at 18 or 19 Mbps. I think that the neighbors are not using much of the bandwidth, because I have run these tests many times throughout the day! So for 45 dollars a month, I think I got a good deal! Why would I pay much more for speeds I do not need?

I am not saying that this Google service is not great! For some people, those kinds of speeds would be fantastic! Some people also have more money than others. I am just saying that pricing will always be an issue. Hence, I think that the cable companies may have increased competition but they will not be put out of business. I just do not see it happening to that extent.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
There has been similar rumblings here. AT&T has been rolling out its fiber optic network for phone, TV, and Internet called U-verse.
Right now only I can only get the Internet service from AT&T, but I can tell you it is less expensive, faster, much more consistent than TWC's offering.
TWC offered to cut the price for one year when I cancelled and I had to tell the rep problem being in one year we have have this conversation all over again.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
There has been similar rumblings here. AT&T has been rolling out its fiber optic network for phone, TV, and Internet called U-verse.
Right now only I can only get the Internet service from AT&T, but I can tell you it is less expensive, faster, much more consistent than TWC's offering.
TWC offered to cut the price for one year when I cancelled and I had to tell the rep problem being in one year we have have this conversation all over again.
The TimeWarner experience is going to vary by location. Apparently your access to TWC is not as good as that of many others.

I've used TWC cable/internet in Dallas and central Texas with absolutely no problems whatever. I now have TWC/RR internet only at 10M download. I have Chrome with multiple tabs and Mozilla open while YET I'm streaming video from various locations, sometimes Euro servers, sometimes NZ, sometimes U.S. sources.

You experiences may vary.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
It's one market. Even if Google managed to take 100% of the cable and Internet business from the entrenched competitors in KC, it won't make a dent in the corporate bottom line.

I don't foresee that Google will be taking the service to any other markets. That's not why they're doing this project.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Time Warner has lousy service across the board. We had FIOs when we were renting across the street and loved it. When we bought our condo, it had no access to FIOs and we had no other real option other than TWC. Now we are dealing with CATV drop outs and and very spotty internet service.

Even worse is their offshore based customer service who kept insisting that my problems were because we use Macs (Really?)

I could rant on how bad TWC isfor ever, and wasted 3 days dealing with lying customer service idiots in the Philippines.

Can't wait for a decent alternatives to show up.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 AM

277 posts, read 626,730 times
Google has big plans for its Internet/TV service. Google is also offering free internet service for a one time fee of $300, I don't know if this will only be for KC or they will offer this in other markets as they expand. Google Fiber

I have been a SageTV user for many years, Google bought SageTV about a year and a half ago and their new TV service is based on SageTV, it is IMO the best thing out there for a distributed Server/client DVR system.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Competition is good. I hope it lights a fire under all the ISPs to compete for our business.
I seem to remember that Google tried to buy, or maybe even suceeded in buying the old Enron fiber network years ago?
Google's all over the map. They've even gotten approval from FERC to buy and sell energy if they choose to.
I just hope all their success doesn't go to their heads, like the folks at Enron who thought they were better than everyone and acted arrogantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology