Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,510,640 times

Advertisements

Roboburger won't be a flop because the majority of Americans don't know or care where their food comes from. Ever pass by a fast food joint at lunch? The people buying in there pay little or no attention to who's fixing the food. They're staring at the menu to order, and after they give it they're staring at the best looking person of the opposite sex (or the same, depending) in the restaurant.

If there are robots making food in the back they'll never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:22 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,896,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Roboburger won't be a flop because the majority of Americans don't know or care where their food comes from. Ever pass by a fast food joint at lunch? The people buying in there pay little or no attention to who's fixing the food. They're staring at the menu to order, and after they give it they're staring at the best looking person of the opposite sex (or the same, depending) in the restaurant.

If there are robots making food in the back they'll never know.
If people didn't care, they wouldn't pay high prices for premium burgers when they could get a burger at the local AM/PM gas station for less than a buck. The premium burger joints around me attract huge crowds.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,145,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
If people didn't care, they wouldn't pay high prices for premium burgers when they could get a burger at the local AM/PM gas station for less than a buck. The premium burger joints around me attract huge crowds.
The premium burger places are premium because they market their ingredients not their workers.

Just about any McDonalds (and maybe all of them) in the US have automated drink machines filling soft drink orders in the drive through.

The problem is we are still several generations from the human population being low enough to still have jobs for most people once the robots come in, but they're going to come in in the next generation or two. What are all the out of work folks going to do? It will be a major cultural problem.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,896,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
The premium burger places are premium because they market their ingredients not their workers.

Just about any McDonalds (and maybe all of them) in the US have automated drink machines filling soft drink orders in the drive through.

The problem is we are still several generations from the human population being low enough to still have jobs for most people once the robots come in, but they're going to come in in the next generation or two. What are all the out of work folks going to do? It will be a major cultural problem.
I see a few thousand unemployed burger flippers starting riots and burning RoboBurger restaurants.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,000,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The pizza automation is stuff I saw first hand at a couple of the theatre trade shows back in the late 1990s. Showest and Showeast. Don't remember the vendor offhand.

I believe that there was an article on the hamburger automation in an old Pop Science or Pop Mechanics (available for free on Google books) Sometime in the 1950s, 1960s?

The drinks automation was something I saw being tested at a local McDonalds. It looked to be a variation of the old vending machines that post mixed soda in a cup. I remember a couple of those were still in use in some theatres in the 1980s. I had to exchange the syrup bottles and do some basic maintenance on them. The insides were roach heaven and once I had seen what the interior workings were, I NEVER got a drink from one again. Disgusting doesn't begin to cover it.

One of the food or cooking channels had a program on automated food, and there was a Canadian program I used to watch "How Is It Made" or something like that, that regularly covered various portion control apparatus, automated baggers, and food automation.

After you have disassembled jet-sprays, popcorn machines, and other stuff, automation doesn't seem as tasty. Without constant proper supervision, food prep gets ugly. There were some concession areas where I knew to bag the computers and bug bomb them before working on them.
When you said you've written about it before, I was under the impression you had something published.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,369,700 times
The day is coming in the not so distant future when robots will take over most of our jobs. The question is what will we do when that happens?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM

23,533 posts, read 69,959,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
When you said you've written about it before, I was under the impression you had something published.
No, just meant that I had written a few posts on the subject. I have written an article or two on concession management and reporting, but that was years ago in a trade publication.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The day is coming in the not so distant future when robots will take over most of our jobs. The question is what will we do when that happens?
There will still be jobs left. Who wants a lap dance from a robot?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
No, just meant that I had written a few posts on the subject. I have written an article or two on concession management and reporting, but that was years ago in a trade publication.
I wonder if the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines are as disgusting as you described: Coca-Cola Freestyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 PM

23,533 posts, read 69,959,736 times
The only way to tell is wait a year or so and open the back of one of them up. Another cause for concern - "The traditional ice cube dispenser remains" Ever watch the bucket brigade to fill those dispensers from the on-site ice maker? Most places TRY to do it right, but ice remains a major source of disease organisms in fast food operations, stadiums and theatres. If you totally melt the ice in about 1 in 10 of those ice makers, you'll find sack lunches, beer, old scoops, and other treasures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology